Conch Fritters--where in Nassau/Freeport

2gals1cruise4fun

I'm having a hankerin' for some conch fritters and since we will be (hopefully barring hurricane junk) in Nassau and Freeport, wanted to see what places you might recommend other than the fish fry in Nassau. Also heard about the Poop Deck and one other restaurant in Nassau--Johnny someones.

I'd love to find one that is close to the ship so we don't have to fuss with going too far.

Thanks everyone!!

I had cracked conch at Billy Joe's at Our Lucaya and they were great! I imagine the fritters would be, too. Bahama Mama's aren't bad either ;)

P1110944.JPG

P1110949.JPG

Well, I just had to replace my keyboard because it shorted out from the drool! Great pics capturing the essence of the Bahamas local fare!! Thanks! :D:D:D

we had conch fritters at Billy Joe's beach bar in Port Lucaya, along with a rum punch. they were very good!

Finally made it to Billy Joes last December on my 5th trip to Freeport! Oh my, those were the BEST conch fritters I've ever had...we loved them...conch salad was excellent too! Great location, lots of locals go there too, so it's not a touristy commercialized place...Just a simple shack on the beach, but with awesome food!

I can tell you where NOT to go. I got some conch fritters from the stand in the straw market and it was awful. I swear I think they gave me hushpuppies or something because there appeared to be no conch anywhere in them. :mad:Bummer.

Cant wait to try Billy Joes in Freeport next time.:)

I can tell you where NOT to go. I got some conch fritters from the stand in the straw market and it was awful. I swear I think they gave me hushpuppies or something because there appeared to be no conch anywhere in them. :mad:Bummer.

Cant wait to try Billy Joes in Freeport next time.:)

In my experience, conch fritters are a lot of batter with a little conch. Maybe try cracked conch?

A couple of examples of conch fritters (not from Billy Joe's)

M0iwyW9A2maM3AEECvXkuLo8d8dgk1TU0300.jpg

pic023.jpg

Maybe try cracked conch?

Thanks Sarge! I will definitely try the cracked conch. (By the way, your review of Our Lucaya is what made us choose our destination when we went to Freeport back in June)

I like how these conch fritters look below.

pic023.jpg

This is what mine looked like

Cruise2010331.jpg

Edited by All4fun&fun4all

Those do look like crap. The first fritter picture I posted was from Bahamian Kitchen II (I think) in Nassau. The one you liked is from Grand Cayman.

Those look like the ones we got last week in Nassau, they were good, those Sargent's very 1st pic of em looks AWESOME and tasty!

Those fried conch balls that we got are in the market right off the pier in Nassau, theres a lady who has a stand all the way in the back and sells them for $3 along with other conch items (salads & such)...

Definately check out Arawak Cay (also called Fish Fry). You can catch the #10 jitney bus for $1 pp, and its about a mile or two down the road (just ask the driver). There is a whole row of restarants that harvest (shuck?) the fresh conch right there and prep it however you like (scorch conch is my favorite). I like the restaurat called Three Brothers, but there are others. It's most filled with locals, so you know it's good.

The Poop Deck in Nassau has great conch fritters, as well as cracked conch and fresh grouper and lobster. whatever you get, be sure to get the peas and rice for the traditional flavor.

I second the Peas and Rice. Delicious. Also some places have some Mac and Cheese that I'm still craving.

I had the best conch fritters in Nassau, ( well actually at a Renaissance resort on the other side of the island from Nassau, and it was a beach bar belonging to the resort. ), but that was 12 years ago, and that resort has changed names, ownerships about 4 times since then. But they were the best! I also had very good conch fritters in Grand Cayman, 8 years ago, and the little outdoor cafe is still there, near the "Royal Bank of Canada"! I have my landmarks!:D

Those look like the ones we got last week in Nassau, they were good, those Sargent's very 1st pic of em looks AWESOME and tasty!

Those fried conch balls that we got are in the market right off the pier in Nassau, theres a lady who has a stand all the way in the back and sells them for $3 along with other conch items (salads & such)...

Was it this stand?

Cruise2010328.jpg

This is where I got mine. Next time I venture further out...or just go where Sarge goes. :p

Was it this stand?

Cruise2010328.jpg

This is where I got mine. Next time I venture further out...or just go where Sarge goes. :p

We got ours here too. They were $3, a large size. Right where you walk off the ship, you go through some shops in a little airconditioned shopping area, u will find this place all the way in the back. They were spicy and yummy. You dont have to pay taxi or anything but $3 to get them. i didnt find them cheaper anywhere else. it was more like $5-$7 in Freeport and Key West. However, some others might have found them cheap in the other two ports also.

• 2 years later...

On a recent walking food tour of Nassau we went to a locally owned restaurant called Bahamian Cookin'. It's a little bit of a hole in the wall but the food was delicious. They had conch fritters, as well as delicious peas and rice and baked macaroni and cheese! It's located on Frederick Street.

• 2 years later...