help with cab fare

NoWhiners

We may have a chance to visit NY and stay in Brooklyn Heights (4 blocks south of bridge) at a friends apartment. Any ideas on how much cab fare would be from LGA to this location (just an estimate). I am wondering if we could just take a cab to the nearest subway stop and go that way instead. We would each have a medium sized bag, on wheels and we are capable of dragging them long distances.

Has anyone done this--is it smart/worth it or should we just take the cab? which subway station is closest--i couldn't tell from google earth!

Thanks

Mary Lynn

We may have a chance to visit NY and stay in Brooklyn Heights (4 blocks south of bridge) at a friends apartment. Any ideas on how much cab fare would be from LGA to this location (just an estimate). I am wondering if we could just take a cab to the nearest subway stop and go that way instead. We would each have a medium sized bag, on wheels and we are capable of dragging them long distances.

Has anyone done this--is it smart/worth it or should we just take the cab? which subway station is closest--i couldn't tell from google earth!

Thanks

Mary Lynn

$25-30, BUT its better to use a local car service such as Cadman Plaza Car service or Arecibo(7187836465). The closest subway stop in the North Heights is the Clark Street stop on the 2-3 line(although I would need the cross streets to make sure)

but you can get all the info you need on http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

also close would be Boro Hall and High Street...but clark street is the closest.

Personal preference for me is to take the 20 minute cab/car service ride. If you don't normally take the subway don't start off your trip with it and luggage. You will use it to get into/from Manhattan and then if you are used to it you can take the subway/bus combo back to the airport(which will take a good hour at least)

$25-30, BUT its better to use a local car service such as Cadman Plaza Car service or Arecibo(7187836465). The closest subway stop in the North Heights is the Clark Street stop on the 2-3 line(although I would need the cross streets to make sure)

but you can get all the info you need on http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

also close would be Boro Hall and High Street...but clark street is the closest.

Personal preference for me is to take the 20 minute cab/car service ride. If you don't normally take the subway don't start off your trip with it and luggage. You will use it to get into/from Manhattan and then if you are used to it you can take the subway/bus combo back to the airport(which will take a good hour at least)

Finally had a second to check responses. Thanks smeyer--I was thinking cab but car service would also work! I should have been clearer in my post--I was wondering what the closest subway station to LGA is. We will be staying half a block from Clark St! Do you think it would be hard to manage using the subway if we only had 1 small wheeled bag each? We are pretty fit and are used to NY and the subways--I was born in the bronx (living in albuquerque now--talk about culture shock!).

Thanks for any help

ML

Finally had a second to check responses. Thanks smeyer--I was thinking cab but car service would also work! I should have been clearer in my post--I was wondering what the closest subway station to LGA is. We will be staying half a block from Clark St! Do you think it would be hard to manage using the subway if we only had 1 small wheeled bag each? We are pretty fit and are used to NY and the subways--I was born in the bronx (living in albuquerque now--talk about culture shock!).

Thanks for any help

ML

There are no subway stops near LGA. You would have to take a city bus first, then a subway. It's not my idea of a good time with any type of luggage in tow.

Thanks for any help

ML

Although I agree with NJHorseman, you do have to take a bus to the subway(you need to get a metrocard at the airport newsstand- they only take coins on the bus for $2.25 fare but with the metrocard you get free transfers which you don't get on a cash afre) and the bus does have luggage racks....so its doable but IMO not recommended. Take the cab/car service it really not that expensive and better than an hour bus/subway combo....

There are no subway stops near LGA. You would have to take a city bus first, then a subway. It's not my idea of a good time with any type of luggage in tow.

Although I agree with NJHorseman, you do have to take a bus to the subway(you need to get a metrocard at the airport newsstand- they only take coins on the bus for $2.25 fare but with the metrocard you get free transfers which you don't get on a cash afre) and the bus does have luggage racks....so its doable but IMO not recommended. Take the cab/car service it really not that expensive and better than an hour bus/subway combo....

Thanks NJ and smeyer. I agree it isn't worth it. i will contact one of the car services and arrive stress free. Lots more time to get stressed out in NYC!

Thanks to both of you for the help--have a great Labor day weekend

ML

Archived