Menu - substitutions allowed?

LindaKE

I've read a couple of comments that make me wonder about HAL's policy on menu substitutions. For example, I saw a menu on which I'd really like to try the entree, but know that I could/would not eat the vegetable that was paired with it. Can substitutions be made? Or I might not want a sauce that goes with an entree. Can the sauce be omitted? I've done this on Princess and NCL without a problem, but get the impression that changes may not be allowed on HAL.

This will not be a problem - just tell your waiter what/how you'd like it. I do subs all the time (sauce on the side, no potato, double veg, etc.)

Some things might not be possible - e.g. 'make it with no salt', but most reasonable things shouldn't be an issue.

We have found that, generally, you can make whatever substitutions you want, so long as they have the items available. As you described, if you want a particular entree, with or without sauce, and with the veggies that are listed with another entree that meal, that is no problem, just ask your dining steward. We've done that sort of thing several times.

There is also an "always available" list of items that you could get, and I presume you could, for example, get the always-available salmon with whatever veggies on the side that are listed with one of the night's entrees.

Dave

Yes, you can ask for substitutions or request the sauce on the side, etc. In most instances there would be no problem and you will be advised if they cannot comply with your request.

Also, if you find a meal that you would like to try that is not on the menu for a specific day, just let your steward or supervisor know the day before and they will order it for you.

I've never had a problem mixing and matching on the menu. Check with the waiter if you're not sure. They are always willing to please. Sometimes your entree will take an extra few minutes if it is not "the standard" choice. If you are a small eater you can ask for a smaller portion or extra of a veggie instead of potatoes etc. Anything reasonable is happily accomodated. :)

If you are on a special diet, let HAL know in advance of the cruise. They will try to take care of you. On my last two cruises I was at tables where an individual needed a special menu. The night prior to the next days meal the waiter would give them the menu to pick out what they wanted. If they were planning on using a specialty rest. they would pick from the menu there the night before the meal.

So no worries with HAL, they will try to take care of you. In fact, the first night they had a meal specially prepared. My table mate was thrilled.

We had two large tables of Indians on our last Zuiderdam Alasks cruise, and after the first night of them looking perplexed at the menu, they got a totally custom Indian dinner option from that night onwards. And that meant a totally different eating style too starting with cups of yogurt, dishes that were served communal style and eaten Indian style with the fingers as well as Indian flat breads and lots of fresh fruits for desserts.

The chef came out with the Maitre D' to discuss what would work for them. Obviously they did not make these requests ahead of time, but they must have left feeling all their unique dining needs were met by HAL's special accommodations.

I will personally be happy if I never see a cooked carrot again, so have your husband send his asparagus over my way. I usually ask for the half-portion and get it, but forgot this last time on the Zuiderdam. The MDR food was so good I never requested it again on that trip.

Has anyone ever asked for low fat foods in the MDR--this really isn't a joke. My husband has high cholesterol and he tries to eat low fat even on vacation (actually, I try to get him to stay low fat on vacation :)

I believe they have "spa" type cuisine options every meal. This is not an unusual request at all so I think you will be able to navigate the menu and select also from the vegetarian options for some non-meat cholesterol choices. There so far has not been significant evidence changing diets to low- cholesterol actually reduces cholesterol, but I have not researched this lately.

Archived