Seabourn Shore Excursions

travelwell

We are new to Seabourn and have booked Hong Kong to Bangkok on the Pride in January. I have been told that Seabourn's excursions are a cut above average. I have glanced thru the list of excursions and the prices do not look too bad. I would love the input of others who have booked excursions? Also the description of walking levels seems conservative. We are in our 50's but my husband had both his knees replaced in April. He has been back at work since June and works out an hour a day at the gym. He has been signed off from Physical Therapy for 2 months. We have done a 2 mile relatively flat walk this past week. This trip has been a carrot in front of his nose to push the rehab and it seems to have worked. Do you think "moderate" is that tough?

will also be my first time on SB,,and need to know if exc...good value and worth it ,,,or book private tours in each port,,,hard to tell from reading on website,,,or do you wait till on ship and hear more details??

Re..."moderate" levels,,,I d ask your Dr...what he thinks....I ve seen many people struggle and slow down whole group because it was harder than they thought,,,esp.cobbestones, and hills,,etc....but can always leave group if too bad and get taxi back,,or go slower on own.... also, what are the size of groups in general....

;)

We are new to Seabourn and have booked Hong Kong to Bangkok on the Pride in January. I have been told that Seabourn's excursions are a cut above average. I have glanced thru the list of excursions and the prices do not look too bad. I would love the input of others who have booked excursions? Also the description of walking levels seems conservative. We are in our 50's but my husband had both his knees replaced in April. He has been back at work since June and works out an hour a day at the gym. He has been signed off from Physical Therapy for 2 months. We have done a 2 mile relatively flat walk this past week. This trip has been a carrot in front of his nose to push the rehab and it seems to have worked. Do you think "moderate" is that tough?

We found the Seabourn shore tours to be good. Generally, it's a fairly small group on each bus, not a jammed mega crowd. Their website is very good in detailing for the "intensity" and physical demands. Good info! Moderate is fairly reasonable and you will find of a number of other passengers traveling with you who are not young speedsters. They will have ship staff along on the excursion and watching out for all of the passengers on these tours.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

get on bus or tender,,,do they have a meeting place on ship or dock?

Taking a Regent cruise in Nov. and some have complained they must wait up to an hour prior to tour in theater for bus tickets,line up for tenders,etc...then whole busload goes on tour,,not broken up into smaller groups...may rethink these "free excursions"....:confused:

On Regent most of the tours are included so everyone is taking everything they can get their hands on. As a result their buses are all full and longer lines are inevitable. Seabourn limits the number of people to a more manageable group. Nevertheless, I am a big proponent of private excursions wherever possible.

With a maximum of 206 passengers, there is rarely a line. One meets in the Lounge and is given a tender ticket. I forget how many in a tender, but occasionally there is a short wait, since they do run two at a time. Then, the meeting spot is on the dock and boarding is easy and not very long.

We've done Singapore to Hong Kong twice on the Spirit. You will miss the Bangkok to Singapore run which can be quite choppy for a small ship as it is exposed to the South China Sea.

On both occasions we never went to Hanoi as it is a long journey both ways and not a great deal to see. But you are there for 2 days so may be worth doing it. We took the junk trip once around Halong Bay but the weather was not so good. Coming the other way, the ship is small enough to cruise through the islands as the sun was setting so it was an awe inspiring sight. All the rocks change colour as the sun sets. I would wait and see what the weather is like on the run in from HK. If the sun does not set for an hour after you leave I would wait till the ship sails through.

In Da Nang the first time, four of us took a private van and did our own thing. We had a fab guide whho was a senior lecturer and had travelled all over the world. Her daughter was actually in the USA studying. She took us to places that the trips did not cover and to meet her family. China Beach is worth seeing and the small village of Hoi An. Being on your own the walking is easy and the village is beautiful.

In Ho Chi Minh the chef usually does a market trip. The Mekong River trip with lunch is a well worth trip as you see a lot, with moderate walking around.

Most of the men went on the Tunnel trip, but the one they allow you down is very very tight and pitch black. You are also on your knees so not a good idea for your husband, but you don't have to do that bit. Still worth seeing and you can fire off a few rounds with an AK47.

Ko Kood is a private island and that is where SB have the Beach BBQ and Caviar in the Surf. Just a fab and fun day.

For shopping, you can't beat Bangkok and Hong Kong. just ask my wife!!!!! We had 60 kg excess weight on the first trip, and that was with here wearing the Cashmere coat she had made in HK. Did a deal with BA at the airport and upgraded to Business Class from world traveller plus. Cost me about $100 more the the excess baggage charge but got all the benefits.

Walking on any of the trips if shown as Moderate should be no problem for your husband as the pace is geared to the passengers and the numbers are small.

You will have a great trip.

Neil

get on bus or tender,,,do they have a meeting place on ship or dock?

Taking a Regent cruise in Nov. and some have complained they must wait up to an hour prior to tour in theater for bus tickets,line up for tenders,etc...then whole busload goes on tour,,not broken up into smaller groups...may rethink these "free excursions"....:confused:

As noted, most of the Seabourn ships are fairly small, making everything more manageable. They spread out the tour departure times when the various groups leave the ship. Good point on "free" attracting more numbers and forcing some "economies" by the ship in how they load up (or pack in) the crowds on the buses.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for all the responses. Alexandra, you further clarified my questions regarding shore excursions nicely. DH's doctor has placed no limits on activities except he has to fly business on flights longer then 4 hours. Thank goodness for points on Delta. We just did not want to be the people slowing the group down.

Thanks to all for information on what is considered moderate. He walks a pretty normal pace now and hopefully will only improve in 4 months. We have done Regents moderate excursions and he would have no trouble with them now, but this is Seabourn.

Neil, thanks for your input. Your private excursion in Da Nang sounded wonderful. Do you have any of your guides contact information? (Not sure this is allowed to be given out per cruise critic rules??) Thanks for taking the time to review the ports. It gets us very excited. You are also correct, kneeling would be a problem in the tunnels.

As for Regents excursions we had no lines 2 years ago on the Navigator. I can see where the "free" excursions might cause some crowds. We would consider this a negative. We are very much looking forward to a small ship.

We've done Singapore to Hong Kong twice on the Spirit. You will miss the Bangkok to Singapore run which can be quite choppy for a small ship as it is exposed to the South China Sea.

On both occasions we never went to Hanoi as it is a long journey both ways and not a great deal to see. But you are there for 2 days so may be worth doing it. We took the junk trip once around Halong Bay but the weather was not so good. Coming the other way, the ship is small enough to cruise through the islands as the sun was setting so it was an awe inspiring sight. All the rocks change colour as the sun sets. I would wait and see what the weather is like on the run in from HK. If the sun does not set for an hour after you leave I would wait till the ship sails through.

In Da Nang the first time, four of us took a private van and did our own thing. We had a fab guide whho was a senior lecturer and had travelled all over the world. Her daughter was actually in the USA studying. She took us to places that the trips did not cover and to meet her family. China Beach is worth seeing and the small village of Hoi An. Being on your own the walking is easy and the village is beautiful.

In Ho Chi Minh the chef usually does a market trip. The Mekong River trip with lunch is a well worth trip as you see a lot, with moderate walking around.

Most of the men went on the Tunnel trip, but the one they allow you down is very very tight and pitch black. You are also on your knees so not a good idea for your husband, but you don't have to do that bit. Still worth seeing and you can fire off a few rounds with an AK47.

Ko Kood is a private island and that is where SB have the Beach BBQ and Caviar in the Surf. Just a fab and fun day.

For shopping, you can't beat Bangkok and Hong Kong. just ask my wife!!!!! We had 60 kg excess weight on the first trip, and that was with here wearing the Cashmere coat she had made in HK. Did a deal with BA at the airport and upgraded to Business Class from world traveller plus. Cost me about $100 more the the excess baggage charge but got all the benefits.

Walking on any of the trips if shown as Moderate should be no problem for your husband as the pace is geared to the passengers and the numbers are small.

You will have a great trip.

Neil

We have done all this and I agree with Headchef and all his comments. We never do anything but business class (we are too old for the alternative and have double knee replacement also.). We agree with everything he said. We had a great trip in Halong Bay with excellent weather. However, dispute the Hanoi trip. It was well worth it to see the Hanoi Hilton and the city and palace. I couldnt go that far and see the Mekong Delta and NOT do Hanoi. We did it through Tony/AnnTours, and I can highly recommend them. Fabulous trip. We went on to Shanghai I was my usual seasick for two days in the China Sea...BUT I was so pampered on the Seabourn that I didn't mind. Next time I won't take pills, I will just go to the doctor and get a shot, go to bed for two hours and wake up a new person!

We have done all this and I agree with Headchef and all his comments. We never do anything but business class (we are too old for the alternative and have double knee replacement also.). We agree with everything he said. We had a great trip in Halong Bay with excellent weather. However, dispute the Hanoi trip. It was well worth it to see the Hanoi Hilton and the city and palace. I couldnt go that far and see the Mekong Delta and NOT do Hanoi. We did it through Tony/AnnTours, and I can highly recommend them. Fabulous trip. We went on to Shanghai I was my usual seasick for two days in the China Sea...BUT I was so pampered on the Seabourn that I didn't mind. Next time I won't take pills, I will just go to the doctor and get a shot, go to bed for two hours and wake up a new person!

First trip out of Singapore, it was pretty rough with all the balcony cabins flooded. My wife was sick on the first morning, but just got a tablet from the doctor, which basically knocked her out for the afternoon. she woke up and was fine. There were only about 25% of the passengers at dinner that night. Only 2 of us went to the wine tasting, on the first day at lunchtime. The sommelier had opened all the premium wines, which had to be drunk, so we ended up at dinner with some really good wine, for those that managed it.

The run in to HK from Halong bay can also be a bit choppy as you are in the south China Sea, but they stay fairly close to shore to keep protected.

SB used to do a trip to Hanoi with an Army helicopter, but my wife wouldn't go in it, so i did not go.

On that first trip we had flown direct from the UK to Singapore, business class, as SB had booked BA and we had paid for an upgrade, but when the tickets were issued, we were wait listed. So our TA did some deal, and we paid a bit more to get the direct flight. Singapore airlines Business Class is well worth it.

Since then, we only travel business class, except for maybe very short flights in Europe on low cost airlines. Usually manage one way paying, and the other way using frequent flyer miles.

Neil

Archived