ACC by CC

MightyQuinn

I found this on the Luxury Cruises Forum and thought it would play well over here. :):)

Video: Introduction to Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you for posting the link. I appreciate that it plays in 720HD. The ports and commentary were interesting.

Unfortunately, the cheese plate I saw in one of two of the videos—perhaps for a wine and cheese pairing—looks truly unappetizing: cubes of cheddar or American cheese and perhaps Monterey Jack or something similar on toothpicks.

One of the best things about dining in Celebrity's special dining rooms on the M-Class ships was the wonderful cheese course. I think I have read that those are gone, but I would hope that something such as those lovely plates of cheese like Celebrity offered would appear on Azamara, and not those pedestrian cheeses shown in the video.

It was my understanding that Azamara is a step above Celebrity, and I surely want that reflected in the quality of food served aboard.

One of the best things about dining in Celebrity's special dining rooms on the M-Class ships was the wonderful cheese course. I think I have read that those are gone, but I would hope that something such as those lovely plates of cheese like Celebrity offered would appear on Azamara, and not those pedestrian cheeses shown in the video.

The cheese is still available in the speciality restaurants on Celebrity M-class ships on request but it is not brought to the table automaticaly. I cannot remember a cheese course being offered on Azamara in Prime C or Aqualina [we only ate in the MDR once]. However, I rarely managed to get as far as the desert so I may be wrong.

Sue

I cannot remember a cheese course being offered on Azamara in Prime C or Aqualina [we only ate in the MDR once]. However, I rarely managed to get as far as the desert so I may be wrong.

Sue

When we were onboard, almost two years ago now, there was an issue with the cheese course in the MDR. The range of cheese was excellent, the presentation was good but the cheese was pre-plated and kept in the fridge and came to the table very chilled. The temperature meant that even the strongest of cheeses had hardly any flavour.

Part way through the first week I had a chance conversation with Philip Herbert who asked if there were any problems so I mentioned the cold cheese. He apologised and explained that many passengers had expressed a preference for their cheese this way. However he arranged for three plates to be taken from the fridge to come up to temperature each evening before dinner for the remainder of our cruise.

On our penultimate night we ate in Aqualina. The cheese course there was one of the best I can ever recall eating; it was superb. We discussed the cold cheese issue with the staff there and they were horrified. They offered, and then arranged, for a selection of their cheeses to be sent down to the MDR the following evening for our final meal.

Excellent cheese and super customer service.

Mands

I am now a devotee of the American Cruise lines but for the best ever cheese course you have to cruise with P&O - scrumptious. A whole stilton brought to the table and served with a spoon - mmmm! And of course with a lovely glass of vintage port - heavenly.

What I found most interesting was Heike (the hotel director) saying that the kitchen will prepare a requested dish if they have the ingredients onboard. I'll give this a try when we board the Quest on Sept. 20. On previous cruises, we loved the lamb shank (as good as my grandmother used to make) and hope it is still on the menu. If not, we'll see how the request works. Of course, I'll ask a few days before because some things require long cooking or prep time.

MightyQuinn

Thank you so much for the link and to CC for creating

the videos. We will be on the Journey Oct 22nd!!!

Everyone

I also wanted to suggest that everyone go to Youtube and type in Larry Pimentel into the search area.

There are quite a few interviews with him, that you might find interesting.

I can't post the link because they industry related.

What I found most interesting was Heike (the hotel director) saying that the kitchen will prepare a requested dish if they have the ingredients onboard. I'll give this a try when we board the Quest on Sept. 20. On previous cruises, we loved the lamb shank (as good as my grandmother used to make) and hope it is still on the menu. If not, we'll see how the request works. Of course, I'll ask a few days before because some things require long cooking or prep time.

This is true but, if lamb shank is not on the menu, it is unlikely to be available for special order on board. When we were on Quest, among the many special orders we had in the speciality restaurants, we had a wonderful steak pie but could not have steak and kidney pie because they did not have kidney on board.

My mouth is watering having mentioned the pie. It was wonderful and, by the time we ate it, was the talk of the ship as the chef in Prime C had been experimenting all the previous day and most of the staff had tasted a version!

Sue

This is true but, if lamb shank is not on the menu, it is unlikely to be available for special order on board.Sue

I went back and listened to exactly what Heike said. "If there's something not on the menu, I'm sure the chef will make it happen as long as we have the ingredients onboard."

Sue, are you saying that if something IS on the menu they will make it differently? That the ingredients WON'T be onboard if it's not on the menu?

On our last Azamara cruise, I asked for something that wasn't on the menu and they had it for us the next night.

I went back and listened to exactly what Heike said. "If there's something not on the menu, I'm sure the chef will make it happen as long as we have the ingredients onboard."

Sue, are you saying that if something IS on the menu they will make it differently? That the ingredients WON'T be onboard if it's not on the menu?

On our last Azamara cruise, I asked for something that wasn't on the menu and they had it for us the next night.

A lamb shank is a particular cut of meat that they will not have stocked if it is not on the menu. If lamb shank is on the menu at some point but you want it cooked differently, then they can do it. They can only work with food items they have on board. I know that they may sometimes, for e.g. shop for fish in a local market but they do not have suppliers in every port.

Sue

Sue

Archived