Just back from Aug 21 & 28 b2b - with news!!

bluesea777

Hi all,

We got back home from a great 14 days of glorious (but very HOT) weather and calm seas. In the days before we got back to Miami at end of first leg we saw on FoxNews about Hurricane Earl and, because we live in hurricane alley, we said to each other if the Captain would change the itinerary. So we weren't surprised (and delighted) when we were handed the itinerary change letter as we disembarked for Customs. Others that we spoken to didn't mind either - better to be on calm seas than in rough seas!

Now for the news ... we started as Bronze but when our cards didn't work at the security points when disembarking and re-embarking in Miami mid-way thru the cruise, we went to have our cards looked at. We were delighted to receive new cards with Silver Latitude status and when we returned to our cabin we received an invite to the Latitiude party.

It took place on the Wednesday at a more suitable time of 6:30pm (as opposed to 1:15pm on previous cruises on other ships) in Bliss. Cheese and wine, but you can order any other drinks like martinis, etc. Very good.

Now here's the REAL news ... after the Captain and officiers were introduced, the Cruise Consultant announced that Epic will be homeporting in Copenhagen and doing Norwegian Fjords in summer 2012!!

We drilled her for more info but it's still in the works. I asked about the Baltics ... also still in the works.

Stay tuned for info from NCL ....

Hi all,

Now here's the REAL news ... after the Captain and officiers were introduced, the Cruise Consultant announced that Epic will be homeporting in Copenhagen and doing Norwegian Fjords in summer 2012!!

Thanks for the interesting news. I've always wished to do a Baltic cruise. Something to look forward to, if the price is right.

We drilled her for more info but it's still in the works. I asked about the Baltics ... also still in the works.

THAT is awesome! Now, if they could take her to South America for 2013, they'll have us sailing EPIC for the next 3 years! :)

We liked Copenhagen, and the Fjords would be fun...plus I'd hope for Stockholm, and maybe a slight venture into the Arctic Circle (haven't checked that off the bucket-list yet!)

Can't wait until this is announced & book-able!

I will stayed tuned to see if this in fact becomes reality. Love to do it. One thing having done the Jade to Norway half the ports from that cruise would be unusable by the Epic unless they plan to tender 4,000 plus passengers :eek: The QM2 did a Norway cruise from Southampton this summer so it is possible.

I will stayed tuned to see if this in fact becomes reality. Love to do it. One thing having done the Jade to Norway half the ports from that cruise would be unusable by the Epic unless they plan to tender 4,000 plus passengers :eek: The QM2 did a Norway cruise from Southampton this summer so it is possible.

We remember cruise consultant saying NCL will do the fjords in 2012 but thought she said ship wasn't decided yet.

We remember cruise consultant saying NCL will do the fjords in 2012 but thought she said ship wasn't decided yet.

I think another ship would be a better choice. Having done the TA on the Epic I can state it is not a cool/cold weather ship. Next time on the Epic I would love to experience the outdoor activities and night time entertainment.

I think another ship would be a better choice. Having done the TA on the Epic I can state it is not a cool/cold weather ship. Next time on the Epic I would love to experience the outdoor activities and night time entertainment.

Also, IMHO the ship is too large for that area.

It will be intersting to see if the entertianment changes to better match the European Market?

Such as?

That's why you should go next year in the Med, too! :)

It will be intersting to see if the entertianment changes to better match the European Market?

As a European who thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on the Epic I wonder what you think wouldn't / doesn't match the European market?

As a European who thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on the Epic I wonder what you think wouldn't / doesn't match the European market?

Well, I've done quite a few European cruises and it has been my experience a large number of pax don't speak English and the cruise lines modify the entertainment to to something that can be enjoyed by all with no language barrier - singers and dancers, musicians, magicians, jugglers, etc. Much of the current entertainment would be a problem in foreign markets for many IMO.

Well, I've done quite a few European cruises and it has been my experience a large number of pax don't speak English and the cruise lines modify the entertainment to to something that can be enjoyed by all with no language barrier - singers and dancers, musicians, magicians, jugglers, etc. Much of the current entertainment would be a problem in foreign markets for many IMO.

Blue Man Group don't use many words and the spectacle of Cirque du Dreams probably doesn't require understanding of the words. Perhaps Legends could feature famous European singers?

On the Gem there less than half the pax were native English speakers but the Beatles tribute band were VERY popular (and were better, IMO, than the Legends people on the Epic).

I was on a Costa cruise last year in the med which is an Italian cruise line where the majority of people on board were Italians and all the entertainment was in English so the European market do not have to change from English shows.

My sons went to teen club and everything was done through the English language, and there were only 4 English teens there out of about 50.

When do the 2012 summer cruises go on sale?

Hopefully the Epic will go to both the baltic sea and the fjords.

But it might just be for a short while, like in may before the med season, or in september, after it. Or, it might be for the full summer up here in the north.

The Epic is a ship that is great for sea days.

Baltics is far to port intensive and usualy has the overnights.

Fjords is much more a scenic cruise so that would work but even in the hight of summer the northern part of Norway gets COLD so would undermine the outside space. Also a VERY SHORT cruise season

The problem is that NCL has struggled with the Northern Europe market.

The Dream ended up with some very good discounts in the later years on the route then they pulled out for a bit,

Tried the Jewel which again struggled on some dates.

Even this year with reduced capacity of the Sun there were some deals ex UK and now they are going to try Copenhagen as home port for 2011

Also they are making the cruises 9n cruises rather than the longer 12n which is needed to cross the north sea. This might be mre atractive to US people with fewer vacation days.

Also Dover is not the best UK port with Copenhagen the port options are in the city making hotels/transfers much easier to plan.

Archived