Why so busy summer 2011?

luvtwotrvl

We are in the process of planning our Alaska independent land tour in July 2011 but have noticed that a lot of things are already booked up. I have noticed that most rental cars are sold out and lots of hotels have NO rooms available in different parts of Alaska. Not just one city.

We did do an independent land tour in 2010 and had no problems booking our car and hotel in September 2009 for our independent land tour in June 2010. What is going on since everything is booked this early?? Am I missing something here? Is there some HUGE event going on??

David

Not sure where you are looking but rental cars are certainly not sold out. In fact, there are still great rates available for rental cars in Anchorage.

My guess is that you are limiting your search for cars and hotels to certain companies, hotel chains, etc.

You didn't specify when in July you are traveling or which towns you are visiting, but be assured many options are NOT booked up already.

Not sure where you are looking but rental cars are certainly not sold out. In fact, there are still great rates available for rental cars in Anchorage.

My guess is that you are limiting your search for cars and hotels to certain companies, hotel chains, etc.

You didn't specify when in July you are traveling or which towns you are visiting, but be assured many options are NOT booked up already.

On rental cars, most major rental agencies like avis, alamo, national, hertz, and budget. These were at the Anchorage airport.

We will be traveling from July 10-23, 2011. We are planning on flying into Anchorage and visiting Fairbanks, Denali Park, and Copper River area plus Valdez too.

Please let me know about the rental cars. I have even tried carrentals.com.

Now, our itinerary is up in the air now. We are just planning for now. We have to wait till we get our itinerary for our Artic Circle tour and go from that.

Thanks,

David

On rental cars, most major rental agencies like avis, alamo, national, hertz, and budget. These were at the Anchorage airport.

We will be traveling from July 10-23, 2011. We are planning on flying into Anchorage and visiting Fairbanks, Denali Park, and Copper River area plus Valdez too.

Now, our itinerary is up in the air now. We are just planning for now. We have to wait till we get our itinerary for our Artic Circle tour and go from that.

Thanks,

David

Try kayak, there seems to be availability

Now, our itinerary is up in the air now. We are just planning for now. We have to wait till we get our itinerary for our Artic (sic) Circle tour and go from that.

Thanks,

David

Like I said, you must be doing something wrong. carrentals.com shows availability for pick up and drop off at the airport for those dates. Also look at the car rental companies' websites. And if you pick up off-airport you save a bundle. But you would have to do that on Monday morning (close to half price). Sorry we can't be your personal travel agent on the forum but if you are really stuck, maybe you should seek out a travel agent. Not sure else what to suggest.

There is PLENTY of availablity. BUT, if you are looking at "chain" hotels etc. you are NOT going to find them in Denali Park area, Copper Center etc.

I suggest you look up each visitor guide website, and get your lodging listings from there. Then contact what ones are of interest.

Archived