Formal Nights..

cptncrunch

ahhh...not to pick hairs...but that would be 30...not 3.

No, the main dining room depending on the ship seats a maximum of about 600 people and it's very rarely full at any given seating. If you say about 500 in the room at any average given seating, at least half of those by statistics are going to be women, that would leave a maximum of 250 men in the room for any given seating. Some of those in the room are also going to be children, the amount varying depending on the seating and the itinerary. Say there's 25 children in the room (probably a low number for many instances). That leaves a maximum of 238 men in the room, 1% of which would be 2.38 men per seating not in suits or dressier. Even if every person dining on the Diamond in the traditional MDR was a male that 1% would still only require 6 men to not be in full compliance. I only use men for the numbers since women are given a much wider latitude in what's considered formalwear. Isn't math fun?

So is bringing alcohol onboard in any form other than bottles of wine or champagne. Where's the outrage on this board for people breaking that rule? These two thread topics come up regularly and for the most part the same people complaining about people breaking the dress policy are the ones encouraging people to bring their beer and liquor onboard. If you're going to complain about one policy being violated then you have no right to encourage a different policy violation solely because that particular one benefits you. Either all policies onboard are enforced or none are, no exceptions.

It really make me laugh at a few of the staunch posters who downgrade the non formal dressers and in the same breath in another post explain in detail how to sneak you own booze on board and which process works the best. I guess we all have our own selection of rules that we can pick & choose from as to which ones we would like to conform to. :D:D

Rules are rules...no matter what you "consider" it. It's pretty easy to read. You may not agree with the rule...none the less it IS a RULE. May not be enforced....maybe everyone on board will break it....still it remains a RULE.

So, can I then expect to see you on the daily alcohol threads telling people they shouldn't be breaking the rules by bringing their choice of thirst-quenchers onboard? I haven't seen you post anything in one of those threads yet about the rule-breakers. Either all the policies in place by Princess are enforced or none are.

...and apparently like pushing the envelope, because it IS breaking the rules whether enforced or not.:rolleyes:

Not following the dress code is obvious to others and does affect the atmosphere of the evening. Think of a formal wedding where two guests choose not be be dressed up.

So is bringing alcohol onboard in any form other than bottles of wine or champagne. Where's the outrage on this board for people breaking that rule?

This rule breaking does not affect any other passengers.

see above in red

Duck posted a very good post.

The answers are all over the place depending on who you ask.

We don't bring formal wear - even though we DRIVE to the cruise.

My DH wears dress pants, a shirt and tie and a blazer.

I wear a short nice dress with heels.

I think if you look nice that should be enough.

Rules are rules...no matter what you "consider" it. It's pretty easy to read. You may not agree with the rule...none the less it IS a RULE. May not be enforced....maybe everyone on board will break it....still it remains a RULE.

With regard to formal wear, 'easy to read', yes, but many still do not understand. It is not a 'rule' it is a request. There is no mention of any penalty such as exclusion from the Dining Room for failing to comply with the request. This is in contrast to the rule about 'torn jeans, swimwear etc.' which clearly states that these are not permitted and you will be excluded. The alcohol policy is also a 'rule' as it states that certain practices are not permitted.

I hope the original poster, who simply asked for clarification on the dress code, is not more confused now after reading all the comments here:eek:

This post has gone from how to dress appropriately on formal nights to a math lesson:rolleyes:

I dress as close to the princess suggested dress code as possible and as far as observing what everyone else is wearing I pefer to look into my DH eyes instead of spending my time judging others right or wrong interpretation of the dress code and choose to leave that up to Princess:D

I hope the original poster, who simply asked for clarification on the dress code, is not more confused now after reading all the comments here:eek:

One thing he know knows for sure is that not everyone agrees with Princess's formal dress suggestions and can deviate in their own direction & can still be admitted into the dining room.

I dress as close to the princess suggested dress code as possible and as far as observing what everyone else is wearing I pefer to look into my DH eyes instead of spending my time judging others right or wrong interpretation of the dress code and choose to leave that up to Princess:D

If only everyone had this same approach... I worry about myself and my wife while we're on the cruise, others could show up dressed as a rodeo clown for all I care and it wouldn't affect my dining experience in the least.

So is bringing alcohol onboard in any form other than bottles of wine or champagne.
This rule breaking does not affect any other passengers.

Not following the dress code is obvious to others and does affect the atmosphere of the evening. Think of a formal wedding where two guests choose not be be dressed up.

So, in your justification rules should only be enforced if they specifically infringe on your cruising experience? The atmosphere of the evening is what you make of it, not what other people are wearing. I've seen people in "proper attire" so pass-out drunk and obnoxious that they vomited on the table and then stumbled out of the dining room. I've seen tables full of people in tuxes and gowns screaming, yelling, throwing food, and generally disrupting the entire dining room. I've seen people downright rude and mean to servers causing a scene in the MDR when something didn't fit their needs. But hey, at least they were all dressed properly...

Out of respect to your fellow passengers in the dining rooms, on formal night please dress appropriately. It was appalling to see men dressed in torn jeans and flip flops in the main dining room on formal night.

Enjoy your cruise.

That's the bottom line...respect & consideration for your fellow passengers by wearing the appopriate clothing spelled out by Princess.

They're not your mother & do let things slide but if you want to dress in shorts, sweats, etc on formal night, then why not go to the buffet.

Change can be good or bad but since "anytime" dining has been promoted, it's being interpreted as to do anything, anytime if it makes you happy. Guess it's a sign of the selfish "me generation" who only care about themselves. Unfortunately some passengers only care about themselves & are very selfish.

While it's true that how nicely one dresses up isn't a sign of class...there are well dressed passengers who are very rude & expect others to kiss their...ring...and others in shorts who are very nice caring passengers.

I'm definitely not a snob & as long as passengers dress nicely, it certainly doesn't bother me.

For passengers want to dress sloppy, how abourt trying a Carnival Fun Ship to find more passegers like themselves or to be respectful & considerate to your fellow passengers to eat in the buffet & not show up in the main showroom in torn shorts, tee shirts & floppers.

Each cruise line has it's nitch & gear it towards passengers seeking such an experience. Princess has always been classy & relaxed and it would be ashame if it becomes another Fun Ship Cruise line.

That's the bottom line...respect & consideration for your fellow passengers by wearing the appopriate clothing spelled out by Princess.

They're not your mother & do let things slide but if you want to dress in shorts, sweats, etc on formal night, then why not go to the buffet.

Change can be good or bad but since "anytime" dining has been promoted, it's being interpreted as to do anything, anytime if it makes you happy. Guess it's a sign of the selfish "me generation" who only care about themselves. Unfortunately some passengers only care about themselves & are very selfish.

While it's true that how nicely one dresses up isn't a sign of class...there are well dressed passengers who are very rude & expect others to kiss their...ring...and others in shorts who are very nice caring passengers.

I'm definitely not a snob & as long as passengers dress nicely, it certainly doesn't bother me.

For passengers want to dress sloppy, how abourt trying a Carnival Fun Ship to find more passegers like themselves or to be respectful & considerate to your fellow passengers to eat in the buffet & not show up in the main showroom in torn shorts, tee shirts & floppers.

Each cruise line has it's nitch & gear it towards passengers seeking such an experience. Princess has always been classy & relaxed and it would be ashame if it becomes another Fun Ship Cruise line.

Nothing unreasonable here. Dress nicely (which almost without exception everyone does on Princess, even those of us that don't wear suits or tuxes on formal nights. I've never personally seen shorts or sweatpants in the MDR on formal night but have heard second-hand stories). Act respectful, which is done through personal actions and not attire choice. But, the part I agree with most is you not letting other peoples' decisions dictate whether you enjoy your vacation.

Couldn't do a quick reply to "bozemanman"s post but guess you mean all of the things that will be "thrown" my way for suggesting some people are inconsiderate & love to flaunt the cruise ships rules???? :rolleyes:

Although, you talk about flaunting the cruise ship rules and just recently you posted about breaking the ships' policy by bringing beer onboard when they specifically prohibit this (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26194629&highlight=#post26194629). Can't randomly enforce policies just because some violations are more beneficial, all or none.

If only everyone had this same approach... I worry about myself and my wife while we're on the cruise, others could show up dressed as a rodeo clown for all I care and it wouldn't affect my dining experience in the least.

Ditto! :)

Coracii...you're right, I have brought on a few beers to consume in my cabin. It's being done tactfully & doesn't affect other passengers experiences.

However those who are so proud of ignoring the dress codes are very visible to everyone & they don't care about other passengers...only themselves.

So to me that's the difference...both rule "violaters"...but one that doesn't affect others experiences & one that sticks out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes:

Make any sense to you?

Coracii...you're right, I have brought on a few beers to consume in my cabin. It's being done tactfully & doesn't affect other passengers experiences.

However those who are so proud of ignoring the dress codes are very visible to everyone & they don't care about other passengers...only themselves.

So to me that's the difference...both rule "violaters"...but one that doesn't affect others experiences & one that sticks out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes:

Make any sense to you?

Completely understand the point you're trying to make, I just don't agree with the premise. Princess has determined that they will be leniant in the enforcement of both their dress suggestions and their alcohol policy. That's their choice as the owner of the business. There's not a grey area in my mind when it comes to breaking these two policies. My view is that people either agree that the policies aren't acceptable and break them, or follow all of the recommended policies that are in place. I don't agree with picking and choosing which ones are acceptable to break and which ones aren't based on personal convenience. People bringing alcohol onboard may do it discreetly (though not all do), but since this is a major revenue generator for most cruiselines those that do bring their own and break the policy increase the overall costs for those people that don't. Even if it's only a small amount, it still has a hidden effect on the remaining cruisers. Now, the question becomes does that small but hidden monetary effect balance out the effect on a small minority of people seeing me and others wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt instead of a suit on formal nights?

Make any sense to you?

By selecting to not adhere to the alcohol policy you're more decremental to Princess's bottom line than any non conformist to the dress code could ever be.

btw- I'm very tactful in my semi formal attire so I guess we're even.

By selecting to not adhere to the alcohol policy you're more decremental to Princess's bottom line than any non conformist to the dress code could ever be.

btw- I'm very tactful in my semi formal attire so I guess we're even.

Thanks to you & coracii for your input & I understand your points. No problem exchanging opinions in a calm, respectful manner even if the only agreement is to just disagree which is okay. Heck, I don't even agree with every decision I've made & 2nd guess myself also.

I respect your input & appreciate not making it a personal thing...being relatively new to CC boards, I didn't realize what a "hornet's nest" the subject of dress code has been in the past.

Generally things aren't black & white but more differing shades of gray...so not many things are etched in stone & respecting each others opinions is what hopefully is ahead as I get more involved with these boards.

We're all here because of our love of cruising & seeking input on how to improve that experience...

Thanks to you & coracii for your input & I understand your points. No problem exchanging opinions in a calm, respectful manner even if the only agreement is to just disagree which is okay. Heck, I don't even agree with every decision I've made & 2nd guess myself also.

I respect your input & appreciate not making it a personal thing...being relatively new to CC boards, I didn't realize what a "hornet's nest" the subject of dress code has been in the past.

Generally things aren't black & white but more differing shades of gray...so not many things are etched in stone & respecting each others opinions is what hopefully is ahead as I get more involved with these boards.

We're all here because of our love of cruising & seeking input on how to improve that experience...

There's certain subjects here that people will never come to an agreement on, but we keep hitting the same points every time they're brought up. Luckily, the other 98% of the time people here are busy giving great advice to newcomers and sometimes meeting new friends to cruise with. It all comes down to one thing though, everyone's here ultimately because they want to be on their next ship as soon as possible.

There's certain subjects here that people will never come to an agreement on, but we keep hitting the same points every time they're brought up. Luckily, the other 98% of the time people here are busy giving great advice to newcomers and sometimes meeting new friends to cruise with. It all comes down to one thing though, everyone's here ultimately because they want to be on their next ship as soon as possible.

I'm a quick learner & will avoid such traps in the future.

I completely agree that we're all eagerly awaiting our next cruise which for us is to Hawaii on the Golden in November.

Archived