Money Exchange Question

We will be flying into Vancouver next week and I was just wondering if we had to exchange our money from US dollars to Canadian? I have read conflicting information that US dollars can be used for the the taxi from the airport to the hotel. We figured we can just use a credit card for purchases while we are at Canadian ports. Any advice would be appreciated?!? Thanks!

I was just in Canada last month. My experience is that everyone accepts US$. You can check the exchange rate in your newspaper to see what the difference is. It's not like the old days when a US dollar got you $1.55 Canadian; I think now it's $1.05 Canadian for $1US.

Be aware that if you use your credit card in Canada, your credit card company will charge you a foreign transaction fee. My VISA card charges 3% of the amount charged.

We will be flying into Vancouver next week and I was just wondering if we had to exchange our money from US dollars to Canadian? I have read conflicting information that US dollars can be used for the the taxi from the airport to the hotel. We figured we can just use a credit card for purchases while we are at Canadian ports. Any advice would be appreciated?!? Thanks!

You can use US dollars for the taxi, but don't expect the cabbies to give you much, if any, exchange rate on your US dollar. The difference in our dollars is minimal now and fluctuates daily, so cabbies can't be expected to keep up to date on the current rates.

You can just as easily use your credit card for the taxi. Check your credit card company to see what their charges are.

You can use US dollars in Canada, but it becomes a hassle for the person you give it to - they can't be deposited in ATMs for example, so makes extra work for them. Out of consideration for these people, please take a few minutes to go to a bank (or stop at a money exchange at the airport) and get some Canadian dollars rather than offloading the inconvience. I used to work in retail for many years, and hated getting US cash...

You can use US dollars for the taxi, but don't expect the cabbies to give you much, if any, exchange rate on your US dollar. The difference in our dollars is minimal now and fluctuates daily, so cabbies can't be expected to keep up to date on the current rates.

You can just as easily use your credit card for the taxi. Check your credit card company to see what their charges are.

I didn't mean to imply that you would get an exchange rate from a cabbie or retail store. The difference is so minimal that $1 US equals $1 Canadian when you pay the cabbie or go to a store. No one blinked an eye when I gave them US dollars, but if I was getting change, it was in Canadian dollars. No problem, just will save it for my next trip.

I have three different credit cards -- Visa, American Express, MasterCard -- and they all charge a foreign transaction fee.

Archived