Uniworld River Royale

mn2ga

• 1 month later...

to giraffelt.

what was the way (train, bus, car service) you decided on to get to Arles from AIX for your Sunday, 7/10 embarkation? Four of us are staying in AIX prior to the cruise. appreciate any details.

MJD11,

Just a coincidence that I checked this thread today. We just got back from a Caribbean cruise the other day and I am starting to think about France now.

As stated in one of my earlier postings since we can't drop the rental car in Arles on the Sunday we will drop it off in Aix on Saturday and hire a limo service to take us to Arles. I was quoted 150 Euros for 4 people.

Are you on the 7/10 sailing?

Larry

Larry,

My wife and I with another couple who are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary are taking the July 10 sailing. My friends have a friend that lives in AIX who is looking into bus or train schedules to Arles for us. If I get any info I'll let you know.

Mike

Mike,

great to connect with fellow passengers for the 10/7 sailing (another 124 people to connect with).

I had looked into train service from Aix and the problem (for us anyway) was that you have to transfer in Marseilles. Not something we particularly want to do with all our luggage for such a short trip. Although, we will be faced with the same problem at the end of the cruise since we are planning on going on to Paris by train from Chalon.

Happy to share planning information with you as we finalize our plans.

Larry

I'm watching this thread for great ideas for pre-cruise and Arles ideas.

We get into Marseille 3 days before the May 15 trip. Should we just stay there till Sunday and sightsee in Marseille?

Anyone else on it?

Then we stay in Lyon 3 days after. All ideas welcome.

cb

Is there a self-serve laundry on the River Royale?

All Uniworld European ships with the exception of the River Ambassador have self-serve laundry. See your cruise companion. Others have suggested that you should bring laundry detergent; the machines are free but there is a charge for detergent which I'm told is not cheap.

Go to the Uniworld site/before you go/cruise companions, and select your cruise.

http://www.uniworld.com/Before-You-Go/Cruise-Companion

Cruise companions have a lot more information on daily excursions, both included and optional, and a lot of information about travelling with Uniworld. Don't bother printing the whole thing; you will get a copy with your travel documents, but that is only a few weeks before you go; the cruise companion is very helpful before that for planning purposes.

All Uniworld European ships with the exception of the River Ambassador have self-serve laundry. See your cruise companion. Others have suggested that you should bring laundry detergent; the machines are free but there is a charge for detergent which I'm told is not cheap.

According to the uniworld cruise companion the River Royale doesn't have a self serve laundry. Laundry serve is available for a fee.

Larry

According to the uniworld cruise companion the River Royale doesn't have a self serve laundry. Laundry serve is available for a fee.

Larry

My apologies, I was going from the Cruise Companion for my tour, which excepts only the River Ambassador. I thought the general information was consistent for all European ships.

• 2 weeks later...

We were pleasantly surprised last fall to find that the laundry service was super speedy. In some instances we would leave our laundry on the bed in the AM and find it returned to us late in the day. Prices were better than ocean cruises and we were sorry we had packed so much because it was obvious that we didn't need so much with the great laundry service!

• 3 weeks later...

A wonderful place to stay is St. Marie de la Mer although in town may be crowded at that time of year. There are many "Mas" around the Camargue itself, you'll need to do some research. Be sure to arrange a tour of a cattle ranch with their black bulls. Many of them have a lunch as well. IMO this is a good job for your TA.

• 3 weeks later...

Confused about Day 7 in Chalon-sur-Saone. Looks like a bus to Beaune for Hotel Dieu and open-air market. BUT market closes at 12:30 and lunch is included for that day.

What is the schedule for the day?

cb

When we were on the ship last October, the busses departed for Beaune at 8:30AM. However, we didn't take the tour. We stayed in Chalon (which was one of the nicest cities on the tour - great shopping and restaurants for lunch). There was an optional tour to Burgundy scheduled at 2:30 so I'm fairly certain that the coaches returned from Beaune in time for that.

Normally the personnel tried to make sure that you could do both the included and optional tours each day.

You will LOVE this ship!! - and the ports as well.

You will LOVE this ship!! - and the ports as well.

Can't wait! We board her Easter Sunday on the Chalon sur Saône to Arles (southbound) itinerary, with three nights pre-cruise in Paris. Yaaaaaay! :)

Just want to encourage all of you who are crusing the River Royale soon to come back to the board and give us future cruisers your feedback about "everything!" We leave the last week in May and can't wait!

B. Cole

Archived