Lucayan National Park and Cave Tour

World Gallery

I have been reading about some of the tours offered by bestonbahamas.com, a site that was mentioned here.

We have never been to Freeport and I am having a hard to grasping the area (we are so use to the Western Carribean!)

Has anyone done this - Lucayan National Park and Cave Tour? How was it? We are a family of 7 with five kids ages 10 - 16.

Any other suggestions (other than a beach day) for a family with kids 10 - 16 (my husband and son can't do small boat trips so it needs to be land-based)?

Thanks.

When are you going? My DH and I are planning to do the Jeep excursion at Freeport, but we aren't going until Oct 3, so I can't tell you how it was until we get back :o It is land-based, though, and really appeals to me because (apparently) you get to see a great deal of the island interior.

We are going March 2011 (more time than you but I have a big group I am trying to get ideas for). Below is the description from the website, http://bestonbahamas.com/lucayan-national-park-and-cave-tour.html.

It is so hard to read through their marketing. It sounds great but I have become a bit jaded with marketing techniques so hopefully we will hear from others who have been.

The description online:

Discover the spectacular pristine splendor of the natural environment on Grand Bahama Island. Our knowledgeable island guides will lead you into the gorgeous 42-acre Lucayan National Park for an amazing half day tour.

This spectacular wildlife preserve, established by the Bahamas National Trust over 25 years ago, offers visitors the opportunity to experience the undeveloped beauty of this tropical paradise. As you trek into this primeval forest, you will walk in the footsteps of the ancient Arawak Indians, also known as the Lucayans, who once made Grand Bahama their home before the arrival of Christopher Columbus in 1492.

Descend into the mysterious caves, where archaeologists have discovered -- among the many stalagmites-- Lucayan artifacts, including the remnants of archaic burial rituals. The caverns constitute one of the lengthiest, and environmentally distinct, underwater cave systems in the world. The vast tunnel system was spawned by the seepage of acidified rainwater into the limestone bedrock of the island over the span of eons.Our experienced guides will lead you to view a garden of native flora, including mangroves, ferns and innumerable exotic flowers such as wild orchids. A symphony of tropical bird songs awaits you in the primordial landscape. The six distinct ecosystems found on the island are represented in the park, including the coastal habitat of Gold Rock Beach. Relax and sunbathe on the sugary sands of this remote seaside oasis.

Venture into an unimaginable world of natural wonder while our expert guides regale you with tales of ancient cultures, maritime explorers, and rogue buccaneers. With an introduction to 500 years of Caribbean lore, this tour is an essential adventure for visitors of all ages.

• 2 weeks later...
When are you going? My DH and I are planning to do the Jeep excursion at Freeport, but we aren't going until Oct 3, so I can't tell you how it was until we get back :o It is land-based, though, and really appeals to me because (apparently) you get to see a great deal of the island interior.

:cool:We will be on the NCL Sky in Freeport on the 26th of October 2010, have you already booked the jeep excursion ? If so who with ? We are interested in stiking out on are own to visit the Lucayan National Park. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.... :)

• 3 months later...

We took the Jeep tour in August 2009. Some parts of it were very interesting and others were lacking. We were a little dissapointed for the cost. We did alot of driving by and pointing out things. I would have prefered to rent a jeep and go explore on our own. Any specific questions about the tour, let me know.

The national park and cave stop during out tour was brief. We walked in to the park about 5 mins. We walked damp a spiral ramp into the cave. The cave was interesting... inhabited by bats in the far corner. Then back up and out. If you take a specific tour of the park I'm sure that the time spent there and history given would be much more in depth.

We booked through the ship, however they used the local tour guide service in the area. We were suppose to meet just outside ship at 7 am. The guide was a little late arriving. We boarded a bus that took us to the location to pick up the jeeps. The bus ride took about 20-25 mins. Let me see if I can find you more information.

World Gallery... Here is the current Jeep Tour description listed on Carnival. It was the same description listed when we booked. I made notes next to each of the listed points.

• Hop into your jeep and drive off, on the left side of the road, following British tradition.
  • See the popular Taino Beach, Sanctuary Bay where dolphins live, and picturesque replicas of the original New Plymouth homes. We stopped at Taino Beach first. You did not have time to swim or explore. We got out, stretched our legs and were able to use the bathroom. The guide gave us some historical information before we carried on. We stopped at Sanctuary Bay to see the Dolphins. We pulled up behind a chain link fence that enclosed the private area where dolphins were kept. We looked through the fence at the dolphins swimming before hopping back into the jeep. We saw the homes as we drove past and information was provided through the in jeep radio system.
  • Stop on Casuarina Bridge to learn about Freeport’s unique history and founder, Mr. Wallace Groves. We stopped on the bridge and listened to more historical information.
  • Continue with the off-road segment through Grand Bahama’s pine forest. Take a short hike to an inland Blue Hole. The off road portion was simply driving through a woods road at a slightly quicker speed. Our guys were expecting something a little more thrilling. The off road ride lasted about 5-10 mins. We stopped at the Lucayan National park, walked about 5 mins in and down into the cave.
  • Get back in your jeep and follow the Heritage Trail along the seashore walked by settlers in the 1800’s.
  • Take a dip in the crystal clear waters at a beach and enjoy a native snack. This is where our tour differs slightly. We did stop at a beach. It was the last thing we did. We stopped at the same beach as we first stopped at. There was a bar on the beach. We had the option to go swimming or sit at the bar. We were there for about 1 hr. We also stopped at the Garden of the Groves where we were able to tour on our own and had lunch.

Edited by mandyc3383

The jeep tour does not sound like something I'd be interested in. I dont feel like just driving around the island stopping here & there. I also do not want to kayak. I'd just like a 3 or 4 hour outing with a ride to the park with a knowledgable guide & maybe a little beach time. I've found a couple of private tour operators offering 4 to 6 hour trips but not sure I should book with them. The private agencies are: forbes charter, viator or Fran's Tour & Travel. Anybody has an experience with them?

Edited by slybear

SLYBEAR - sounds like your group is interested in the same as us (and possibly OP). Tour of the area without too much time on a van or bus - see the highlights and no kayaking. Hoping someone posts about this sort. We're a family of 5.

Thanks mandyc! It is always good to hear about the "real tour" from someone who has done it. I am always amazed at how well their marketing department can word tours. Some tours we have had were what we expected and many were not.

I think we will have to look into a private tour. My kids (ages 9 - 16) would probably be bored with the stops. We really just want to see the beach at Lucayan National Park because I read somewhere that it is beautiful (How would you rate the beach?). The cave stop may be interesting to my kids too.

If anyone has had a good experience with a private tour, please let us know.

Thanks!

World Gallery...

We didn't go to the beach in the Lucayan National Park. We went to Tiano Beach. However, I have read reviews and seen pics of that beach and it did look beautiful and peaceful. Would you be able to possibly rent a car to drive to the park on your own? Or you could look into taking a taxi there and have them pick you back up. The park was a good distance away when we stopped there. I would suggest leaving the ship asap and going straight there to enjoy enough time on the beach. The stops in Freeport are never that long.

I'm doing the Lucayan National Park Kayak Tour on Jan 26th. I'll post my trip report when I return. I actually booked it because I love kayaking so much. :D

Bev

I look forward to hearing all about it & see pics if you want to share. I'm torn between doing this & just spending the day at Our Lucaya. We did the Garden of the Groves tour last time & my daughter really loved it. Since we want to do Blue Lagoon in Nassau, I'd rather not do just two beach days.

Edited by Mom2Evie

I look forward to hearing all about it & see pics if you want to share. I'm torn between doing this & just spending the day at Our Lucaya. We did the Garden of the Groves tour last time & my daughter really loved it. Since we want to do Blue Lagoon in Nassau, I'd rather not do just two beach days.

On the rare off-chance that I forget to post my report (but I won't,) you can go ahead and bookmark my Flickr photo page. I upload ALL of my trip photos there. I'll also put them on my blog.

I'm getting so excited. :)

Bev

I have been reading about some of the tours offered by bestonbahamas.com, a site that was mentioned here.

We have never been to Freeport and I am having a hard to grasping the area (we are so use to the Western Carribean!)

Has anyone done this - Lucayan National Park and Cave Tour? How was it? We are a family of 7 with five kids ages 10 - 16.

Any other suggestions (other than a beach day) for a family with kids 10 - 16 (my husband and son can't do small boat trips so it needs to be land-based)?

Thanks.

I was also interested in the Lucayan Park/ Kayak/ Cave tour. Does anyone know how strenuous it is? My husband had meniscus surgery last year. TIA!

I was also interested in the Lucayan Park/ Kayak/ Cave tour. Does anyone know how strenuous it is? My husband had meniscus surgery last year. TIA!

From my understanding it is not too bad. They only go into the mouth of the cave (and there are stairs.) You could also call the cruise line for more information on it. I know on my cruise line they list a rating... heck, let me go look real quick for you...

Activity Level: 2 (translation - not very strenuous on a scale of 1-5)

You'll kayak in a protected creek through a mangrove forest for approximately 90 minutes and venture on a guided 1/4-mile, one-hour nature walk through Lucayan National Park.

I hope this helps. :)

Bev

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from doing this trip and it was incredible. I'm in the process of uploading my pictures to my Flickr account here.

The kayak portion was very easy and we had several older couples in our group. The hiking and cave portions were also fairly easy. Our guide, Ricardo, really made the trip informative and fun. We learned so much about the Bahama people, Lucayan indians, plants and animals; I highly recommend asking for him as your guide if you're thinking about going.

Bev

This looks like a location our party would enjoy on our stop. I'll be with my boyfriend, my 13 year old son and my Mom. My boyfriend loves caves, and my Mom and son are nature lovers. We ALL love the beach. ;) So we're looking for something that works for all of us.

For those that have been to Lucayan, is renting a car and driving there ourselves for the day doable? I've rented cars in other ports I've visited (Grand Cayman, Cozumel) and visited National Parks there ... all with great luck.

For a $3 park entrance fee per person, I'm thinking it might be less expensive than the cost of an excursion?

Any thoughts?

We just returned today, and the Lucayan Park kayak and cave trip was great! The guide (Tony) really added to the trip-- he seemed to know everything, from identifying fish, birds, trees, etc. to history and the current business environment. The kayaking was easy and walking was limited; I would say that Carnival is significantly overstating the strenuousness in their ratings. You do have to do down a rickety metal spiral staircase to get into Ben's Cave, so be warned! The lunch that is offered is basic, but fresh and adequate (sandwiches, fruit and cookies). I highly recommend the trip.

I wouldn't recommend trying to drive there yourself...we were very surprised by the drive to Lucayan Park. It didn't seem dangerous, but it alternated between very industrial and very underdeveloped. There were not a lot of signs...it would be easy to get lost/ drive past Lucayan Park, and there aren't a lot of places to stop for directions.

I wouldn't recommend trying to drive there yourself...we were very surprised by the drive to Lucayan Park. It didn't seem dangerous, but it alternated between very industrial and very underdeveloped. There were not a lot of signs...it would be easy to get lost/ drive past Lucayan Park, and there aren't a lot of places to stop for directions.

Thanks for the info, maybe we'll just book through the ship or a local tour operation and be done with it. :)

I just uploaded a

from our Lucayan Natl Park kayaking trip. In it, our guide Ricardo tells about the history of the Lucayan people and goes on to explain about the "walking trees."

Bev

Edited by pnerissa

Just got back from Freeport last week. We did the East End Extravaganza Tour with H. Forbes Charter. They picked us up from the port and took us

to Lucayan National Park. We saw the caves and then walked over to the Gold Rock Beach where we stayed for an hour. Absolutely beautiful. Not very many people were there. We went at low tide so you could walk out a long way with water up to your knees. After that, we stopped at a placed called

Banana Bay. We stayed there an hour. The beach was just as beautiful.

They have a bread that we tried that was really good. We split a

Cheeseburger and Frys and they were good too. It cost us 40 pp for this tour.. I wanted to do the Kayak trip thru Carnival but was afraid it might be to strenghous for us but wanted to really see the park. This is a great inexpensive way to get there. After the tour we dropped some people off at a hotel which

is right by Lucayan Market Place. We ask the tour guide to just drop us off there for some shopping and then we spent some time at another nice beach across the street. It cost us $5 pp for a taxi back to the ship. It was a very nice day for a reasonable price.:) I would highly recommend

this tour company. You do have to pay up front but they assured me in

an email that they would credit my credit card if the ship did not port.