Sea sickness..Ginger?

SailBabySail

I am not prone to sea sickness but late Sept going to Canada the sea might be rough. Anticipating that for the first time ever I might get sea sick I see that many of you take a Ginger product. My question is this..Is it a liquid or a tablet? The only thing I was able to find was a box with four small cans called Natural Ginger. I did purchase this product in case I could not get anything else. But, I am wondering if there are tablets which are easier to take on board? I don't want to take Bonine or Dramamine. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have heard that there are pills that work , though I have never had the need myself for anything to prevent sea sickness ,, I have a cure for it though , drink as much liquid as you can , it has been my cure all .

Ginger has been 100% proved to aid sea sickness (Mythbusters - :D ). You can get it in several forms as long as it has ginger in it. You can in your supermarket get candied ginger. These can be found depending on the supermarket, in either the candy aisle, the spice aisle or the organic section. Ginger snaps, if they have ginger in them will work, as will ginger ale, again if it has ginger in it and not simply ginger flavoring. I assume a ginger tea would work just as well.

The bottom line as long as there is ginger in it, the more the better, the form doesn't really matter.

Personally, I don't get seasick but if the DW doesn't mind, I'd like to try and bring this Ginger on board just in case I get queesy.

images.jpg

Most grocery/pharmacies including Wal Mart sell ginger root pills near or next too where the vitamins are sold. The only problem I have experienced with them is they tend to make my stomach feel warm sort of like a very mild heart burn but they do help avoid becoming nauseous for me at least.

Vinnie

Seems we posted at the same time!!!

I am very prone to motion sickness and took both Bonine and ginger and was fine. Had rough seas the last night and only felt a little queezy when packing my suitcase in our room. As soon I as left the room I was fine. Also was fine while sleeping that night.

Cunard has always had candied ginger available with coffee after dinner. On the QE2 there was a picture dated in the 1800's about ginger was the cure for sea sickness. I don't know why other cruise lines don't offer this?

I've related this in the past but I'll repeat it here.

I flew for the USAF for 20 years, much of it in Air Education and Training Command as a Flight Commander and then Chief of Standardization and Evaluation.

During that period I often encountered students who had motion sickness issues. They often took ginger capsules or ate ginger snap cookies prior to a mission to help tame their stomachs as taking any medication would ground them. It worked well.

If it works for a pilot pulling six Gs or hanging upside down in his or her harness I'm sure it'll work on a ship.

:)

I have taken the Ginger Root pills before. I got mine from the Wal-Mart vitamin area.

I am going to return the liquid stuff to the CVS I bought it from and head on over to WalMart for the Ginger Root pills.

Thank you so much everyone. At least now I can have a drink or two without having to worry that I took "medication" like Dramamine or Bonine. :D

I am going to return the liquid stuff to the CVS I bought it from and head on over to WalMart for the Ginger Root pills.

Thank you so much everyone. At least now I can have a drink or two without having to worry that I took "medication" like Dramamine or Bonine. :D

Exactly!! Ginger has no side effects save the occasional ginger burp... which I kinda like...

:D

Exactly!! Ginger has no side effects save the occasional ginger burp... which I kinda like...

:D

Actually, there is a side effect from the ginger root pills if you have a sensitive stomach.....you can get a major burning sensation which actually forced me to stop using the pills. However, there is a great ginger gum on the market by SeaBand (sold at Walgreens and CVS) which works well but does not have the concentated dosage of the pills, thus no major heartburn!!

You can get different strengths of Ginger. I would suggest going to a health food store, and ask them.

I used ginger once when we were taking a boat (maybe held 25 people) out to go deep sea fishing in Australia. Coming back in we hit a horrific storm, the swells were about 12-14 feet, we experienced this for about 90 minutes before we were back on shore... There were quite a few people whom were ill. My family was awesome, the four of us had taken ginger pills, (concentrated)

No sickness whatsoever. I have also watched the show Myth Busters, that had rated ginger #1 to prevent sea sickness.

Actually, there is a side effect from the ginger root pills if you have a sensitive stomach.....you can get a major burning sensation which actually forced me to stop using the pills. However, there is a great ginger gum on the market by SeaBand (sold at Walgreens and CVS) which works well but does not have the concentated dosage of the pills, thus no major heartburn!!

What you described is exactly what happens to both my DW and I. Thanks for the tip on the Seaband gum. Put it on the list for the next cruise.

Happy cruising,

Vinnie

I discovered ginger on the Queen Mary 2 last November. We were crossing the Atlantic and had to go through what was left of Hurricane Ida, 30 foot seas which caused lots of rocking and rolling. For the first time in over 30 cruises I actually started feeling sea sick (and we were midship).

They had candied ginger in the dining room and I ate lots of it as the crew suggested, and it helped immensly.

I used candied ginger (crystallized ginger) on my cruise and it helped. I got it in the spice/baking aisle at Wal-Mart

This, by the way, can make you VERY popular at dinner. I plan on bringing crystalized Ginger on our cruise and offering it to my table mates with desert. :D

Also, where do you folks get candied ginger?

Thanks so much!! A bit worried about all the storms threatening and we leave next Sunday.

Denise

I got candied ginger in the spice/baking aisle at Wal-Mart. It is actually called crystalized ginger, but it is sweet and in small pieces, so it is easy to eat.

Archived