Just back from Princess Caribbean Canada Cruise

JPCruising

Did the New England/Canada cruise on Princess Caribbean last week returning on 9/04. Spent 3 days before the cruise visiting NYC and had an enjoyable cruise. We had great weather but it was on the warm side temperature wise. Being from hot sunny Florida I was hoping for cooler weather but at least we did not have rain. Ports included Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint Johns and Halifax. Due to concerns with Hurricane Earl upon leaving Saint Johns on Wednesday afternoon the ship skipped Halifax and sailed directly back to NY arriving in the NY harbor around 10 pm on Thursday. We docked in Manhattan Friday morning and spent the day in NYC. Early Sat. morning the ship moved to the Brooklyn dock for disembarkation.

Photography is my passion and I am in the process of posting my photos from the trip which can be viewed on my photo website: http://jprimages.com/canada Check back over the next several days as I will post albums of each port of call.

This was my second New England/Canada cruise. The first was 4 yrs ago on the NCL Dawn. This year the Princess Caribbean best fit our group's schedule. Boarding was extremely quick, it took a total of 50 minutes from the time we got in the taxi at the NY Helmsley Hotel on 42nd street until we were in our cabin. Boarding couldn't have been better. The Caribbean is a nice ship but I found it lacking compared to my last cruise on the RCL Navigator of the Seas. The first night out our group of 6 dined in the Crown Grill and we all expected more than we received. The food and service were "okay" but not exceptional. They only had one waiter for our table, no assistant waiters so it took a long time. The service in the Coral dining room was considerably better. We dined the rest of the cruise in the Coral dining room after the disappointing experience with the Crown Grill. Our room was great and room stewart did a very good job. Because their was only one sea day at the end of the trip we really did not get to take advantage of all the ship has to offer. I did have a wonderful massage on day two and another of our group got the spa package and used the thermal beds everyday to soothe her aching joints from all the walking and touring.

Having been to Newport before, decided to try something different by renting bicycles. 50+ yr old couples used to flat FL roads should avoid bicycles in Newport. :) One couple lasted 20 minutes and my wife and I road for 2 hrs before turning in the bicycles. I think a motorized form of transportation would have been much better on an extremely hot day. Had a good lunch and did a little shopping before returning to the ship around 3:00.

In Boston our group did a 2 hour Segway tour with Boston Gliders. I am not the most balanced person and cannot ride a skateboard so I was a little concerned about riding on a Segway. But after the training session we took off and I absolutely loved cruising around on the Segway. It was a lot of fun and we covered a lot of ground. Highly recommend the Segway's. I booked this tour directly with Boston Gliders. Will post more later.

Hi JP, great pictures, I'm headed on a mid Oct cruise on Explorer OTS, and have never been on this cruise before, leaving from Cape Liberty Port, and I can't wait. For right now, my name is "Will Have to Wait!!" Its a 9 day cruise. Oh why is mid Oct so far away?

Virginia

JP -

Excellent photos of Bar Harbor; what camera did you use?

Thanks,

SBtS

Thanks for your kind words. I often get asked about what camera I used but I like to remind folks that it is the person behind the equipment that makes the difference. That said I used a Canon 1D Mark IV digital SLR and two Canon lenses, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS II.

Thanks for your kind words. I often get asked about what camera I used but I like to remind folks that it is the person behind the equipment that makes the difference. That said I used a Canon 1D Mark IV digital SLR and two Canon lenses, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS II.

Nice gear! How are you liking the new 70-200?

JP, your photos are awesome. I have a Canon Rebel XT DSLR, and was thinking of renting the Canon 70-200F4 IS and then I have the Canon 17-55-IS. I also have a wide angle lens. Do you think I would need to take all 3 of these or should I rent the 24-70 and the 70-200F4 and leave it at that? I love photography but I am not as good as you. I can tell you like different shapes in your photos. Any tips for photography in NYC would be greatly appreciated.

Denise40, since you already have a 17-55 I would rent the 70-200 and go with those two lenses. If you are doing alot of landscape you might want the wide angle lens but the 17-55 covers the wide end fairly well. I do a lot of night time sports photography which is why all my lens are f2.8 but you should be fine with the above lenses.

Loving photography a trip like this gives you plenty of time to practice and to learn even more about your camera. Take along your manual and read it. The manuals can be overwhelming so read a section or two and then go out and shoot some photos and have fun.

In New York one thing I did was a predawn shoot using my tripod and cable release. Early morning is fun because there are less people and you will get shots that most people won't because they are not willing to get up early.

Thanks so much for the info. Which lens did you tend to use more or did you use them both pretty equally? We will only be in NYC for 1 1/2 days prior to cruise. Also, I am signed up to do the photography tour in St. Johns. I am looking forward to it. The main trouble that I have with photography and being on vacation, I feel like I am rushed all of the time and use auto mode more instead of manual because I don't want to hold anyone up. I am hoping those 2 lenses will work for the nightlife in NYC. I am wanting a panning photo of a NY cabbie with the streaks of color behind it, hopefully I will get one.

Thanks so much for the info. Which lens did you tend to use more or did you use them both pretty equally? We will only be in NYC for 1 1/2 days prior to cruise. Also, I am signed up to do the photography tour in St. Johns. I am looking forward to it. The main trouble that I have with photography and being on vacation, I feel like I am rushed all of the time and use auto mode more instead of manual because I don't want to hold anyone up. I am hoping those 2 lenses will work for the nightlife in NYC. I am wanting a panning photo of a NY cabbie with the streaks of color behind it, hopefully I will get one.
I probably used the 70-200 more than the 24-70, I like to zoom in on subjects to isolate them more. I shot the whole trip in AV mode (aperture priority) because I like to control the depth of field. So I wouldn't should in manual mode on a trip like this. I developed the ability to be quick many years ago when traveling on vacation with my family.

Wonderful pic jpcruising. You make your POC come alive. Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering about Saint Martin caves. DH and I are sailing Oct 9, 2010 on RCI to that area. I sure struggled over excursions due to temp, rain, youtubes, other CC review. My personal desire is to see the caves with perhaps a private excursion as I'd like to walk the cave bottoms. We live in Alabama and are not cold temp lovers.

So with all that I read, I decided, most likely, the air, water temp and wind would be too much for us in Oct. What do you think about the caves and the beginning of Oct? From what I read, you have to cross a shallow stream a few feet to get to the caves and that stream depends on your arrival time. Decisions, decisions. I elected to forgoe the caves and just do a highlights tour as I didn't want a lengthy bus ride to and fro if I could walk the caves. DH agreed, but I wonder, oh I wonder. LOL. not a bigggie.

Glad you found a passion to immerse yourself into. have a nice day.

Beautiful pictures of a wonderful cruise!

I want to go where you did in Bar Harbor - did you walk from the ship up to the overlook where you were able to view the ship and waterspouts, etc.?

We're sailing from Quebec City to New York in a couple of weeks and will be in Bar Harbor during that first week in October. We've never been there, and your pictures have given us a lot of ideas for that port (and lots of questions!:)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Archived