Embassy Suite 17th street

huny322

We never had a hurricane Jeanne in Fort Lauderdale!:eek:

The last hurricanes that came through the area were Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma in 2005.

Hurricane Jeanne was in Sept 2004. Our 7 night cruise turned into a 10 nighter due to Port Everglades closing. Embassy Suites sustained a lot of damage. Several of their skylight windows over their atrium were knocked out. They still had plywood over some of them when we were there in May 2006. Their repairs/renovation took them 3-4 years to complete.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-2004-jeanne,0,3954334.story

Hurricane Jeanne was in Sept 2004. Our 7 night cruise turned into a 10 nighter due to Port Everglades closing. Embassy Suites sustained a lot of damage. Several of their skylight windows over their atrium were knocked out. They still had plywood over some of them when we were there in May 2006. Their repairs/renovation took them 3-4 years to complete.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-2004-jeanne,0,3954334.story

Jeanne made landfall about 90 miles north of Ft Lauderdale September 26. I didn't think their was much damage to the FLL area.

The managers reception has alcohol and soft drinks. You can get wine, beer and basic mixed drinks. You can go up and order 2 at a time. The lines can get long, so take advantage of 2. You can go back as often as you like.

There were snacks there. I think they always have homemade popcorn, and then we have had chips, pretzels, salsa and chips also. It varies each night.

For soft drinks, they had fountain soda, and you could go up and get them whenever you wanted.

Our group of 10 enjoyed the reception a lot. And, believe me, we got our money's worth.

Claudia

Thanks Bill Blasters for the information.

With two 22 year olds (DD & best friend), this will be a good place to start the evening and save some money! :p

We have not stayed at this Embassy Suites yet (we have 2 months to wait) but we prefer staying at the Embassy Suites when we travel because of their larger rooms, managers reception, and breakfasts with the omelet stations. We bring the cards down with us during the managers reception and play a few hands of euchre or uno while enjoying the snacks and drinks...it is a great relaxing way to start a family vacation.

The last two times we have stayed there (this past March and August), the Manager's Recpetion was held at the pool bar and not out in the atrium. Don't know why. It is much more conjested and less seating. However, the atrium is still open so you could still get your drinks and play there.

Edited by BobT172

We have booked Embassy Suites for 1 night pre-cruise. Question: Is there a door separating the living room from the bed room? We feel we really need to be able to have a quiet sleeping area for the little one. If you have stayed there, please describe the suite lay-out.

Thanks in advance.

We have booked Embassy Suites for 1 night pre-cruise. Question: Is there a door separating the living room from the bed room? We feel we really need to be able to have a quiet sleeping area for the little one. If you have stayed there, please describe the suite lay-out.

Thanks in advance.

The suites are typical Embassy Suites...deep and narrow. The living room area is immediately as you walk in...couch, desk, chairs, etc.... the bathroom is off a small "transiton area" where the wet bar is located (in some rooms it is located off the bedroom).. then into the bedroom area...yes..it does have doors...TV in both the living room and bedroom...

Edited by BobT172

Yes, there is a separate door between the two rooms. In the living area there is a couch that opens up and a tv, sink, table, chairs, fridge and microwave. In the bedroom there is either 1 or 2 beds and another tv. The bathroom is in the bedroom area.

We had 2 families in there comfortably. 3 in bedroom and 2 in living area. Wouldn't want to do it all the time, but for one night it was fine.

We have had the reception in the atrium area. But, we always go in the winter months, so that is probably why. Might be a little cool out by the pool some nights.

We stayed here in March and we found it to be a great hotel. We were on the tenth floor with a view towards the cruise ships. The breakfast was included, it was hot and there was plenty to choose from. Plus there was a manager's reception which was a great added bonus. It had a great location with shops nearby if you had forgotten anything. We would certainly book to stay here again.

• 6 years later...

There's a restaurant in the hotel. Other than that, you're just going to have to call around or look at websites. Other hotels will probably have their restaurants open.

Roz

Yes, thank you.

I posted on another thread as well; wasn't sure which would be answered. I was trying to cover all bases.

It's okay, bavarder. It's nice to see someone post in the same thread even if it's old. Still moves it to the top. Besides, one of my pet peeves is someone starting a new one on the same subject.

Bret

You could walk to The Riverside Hotel which is doing Thanksgiving dinner for $40 per person not including taxes or gratuities.

That is the least expensive one I've heard of.

I went there last year (or was it the year before last?), paid something like $65 and was very disappointed. I've spent half my life in restaurant management and in my opinion it was very lame, limited and way overpriced.

Embassy Suites on 17th is one of my favorite hotels! Beautiful pool area and great place to have a pre-cruise meet and greet! We stayed there last year prior to our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We almost stayed there this year even though we were cruising out of Miami. Ended up staying in Miami, but we liked Embassy Suites on 17th street so well that we did considering staying there even though we were cruising out of Miami. You will not be disappointed.

We were NOT impressed with this hotel. Not for the price we paid. The room was dingy and in need of a makeover. Clean enough, but just BLAH.

The managers reception in the evening was a complete joke. Not that I expected a 5 course meal, but we're talking stale popcorn with a Dixie cup to scoop it up, and stale Tostito chips with salsa. Why bother? Just provide the free drinks. How hard is is to put out FRESH popcorn and chips.

The two best things about this property:

1. The view of the port from our room. It was PRIMO!

2. Breakfast. Tons of selections, and it was fresh and hot.

We would not stay here again.