Driving in Skagway

rfholcom

I have ask this before but I just want to check one more time (I really need that warm and cozy feeling). On the drive to the Yukon in Skagway-how is the road? I read that there are places where there are steep drop offs with no guard rails and that you needed to be very careful. Is this correct? I would love to take this trip but I do not do well in mountain roads where there is no guardrail. Thanks for any information. I appreciate it greatly!

Last year we took the motorcoach to Carcross and the road was very good. There is little traffic. I don't recall any places where it was particularly difficult even at the summit. Most of the time the mountains rose to the left of the motorcoach on the way into Canada but the drop offs to the right were not precipitous as I remember. The drive seemed much easier than many places in the North Carolina mountains. We went in mid-May and there was still lots of snow at the summit but none on the roads. This year we have reserved a car with Avis in Skagway and plan to drive it ourselves. There will be 4 of us so we will save lots of money and can stop and go as we please. We can also go beyond Carcross to Emerald Lake which is supposed to be exceptionally beautiful.

Archived