Tours on Hawaian islands

moonshine17

Hi,

I am doing a cruise in February of the Hawian islands. I would like to do some tours of the islands and wondered if you can book them when you get off the ship at the ports like you can in the Caribbean. Or would it be best to pre book on the internet. Any advice would be most welcome.

Linda

On Maui, we just rented a car and went back woods on our own to interact with the locals and explore. It was great. On Kawai, we took a helicopter tour of the island including the canyon. Can't remember the name of the operator, however, they are the only ones allowed to fly low altitude trips. Real E ticket ride. Booked the same one as the ship used, but, on our own. Comparing the costs. We had to hire a cab. The driver was great. Shut the meter off and took his lunch break while we took the 45 min. tour. Drove us around for about 20 min. showing us the places he enjoyed while he wanted to see if the passion fruit was ripe yet so that we could pick some along the road. Turned the meter back on and took us back to the ship. In total, the four of us saved $60 each, did more, had a personal guide for a while and learned a lot of life on the island. You just never know I guess. The folks from the ship couldn't believe our story. They just rode the bus both ways and took the tour. He did receive a days wages in tips tho. Well worth it. :cool:

If I were going to take a helicopter over Kauai or the volcano, I would probably research beforehand to book online. Lots of people rent cars and do their "own thing". It is easy in Hawaii. But I am guessing you are British and may not want to drive on "the wrong side". :D

Since you are new to this board, look at this link to get a better idea of all excursions. It is on the Hawaii board and should help out.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1266540 Good luck on your search and have a good time!

Archived