Most awkard moments during dinner

chrisxmoa

One last thing, we are likely never to agree on the injecting oneself at the table. However, IMHO, it is not acceptable behavior in the MDR and can be easily handled in other, safe ways steps away from the table. I also don't think that sneezing, coughing, taking pills, burping, sleeping, talking with one's mouth full, etc. are acceptable in a PUBLIC MDR where you are sharing a table with others who are strangers.

Are we allowed to breathe?! :eek:

Hope nobody with a gallon of perfume sits at my table or I will be forced to run from the room rather than sneeze discretely into my napkin. :rolleyes:

A truly awful dinner at a table with a man who had a very strong political point of view, and at the same table, a woman who had a very strong view exactly the opposite.

The six other people at the table (including their spouses) repeatedly asked for a change of subject, However, nothing would deter these two. They kept at it relentlessly through every course. I had the worst case of indigestion ever, and still wonder why I didn't have the wits to stand up, tell these boors off, and leave. It didn't seem polite to me at the time - how strange is that?

A truly awful dinner at a table with a man who had a very strong political point of view, and at the same table, a woman who had a very strong view exactly the opposite.

The six other people at the table (including their spouses) repeatedly asked for a change of subject, However, nothing would deter these two. They kept at it relentlessly through every course. I had the worst case of indigestion ever, and still wonder why I didn't have the wits to stand up, tell these boors off, and leave. It didn't seem polite to me at the time - how strange is that?

Not strange at all - you probably had a Mom like mine who taught you to be polite no matter the circumstances. :)

Not awkward but very funny. Our first night in MDR (after trying and failing to change sitting to open dining) we were looking for our table but the number had smudged on the card. A waiter saw us looking bemused and came over, he looked at the card, looked at us a family of four including 2 young men, and asked are you part of the group? We said no we were travelling independently, he smiled and lead us to a table on the edge of a large alcoved area of the dining room. We were seated at a table for four and then the fun started.

It seemed there was a large Gay group onboard and it was that group we were being asked were we part of. We had great fun every evening watching the drag queens sashay in and parade around their party, to chaps and cheers and a vote as to who was best dressed. We had a birds eye view, on formal evening the main attraction was a full Bridal party. They were all such extroverts and they brought the house down in the theatre one evening singing Dancing Queen!! It made for an interesting cruise!!

My most awkward dinner moment was actually a series of moments. I'm a 50-year-old woman and I was traveling on a cruise with my mother. Our dinner table included three married couples. two and a half of whom were very nice. But the man who sat across from my mother was absolutely obsessed with finding out why I'm not married. There's no particular mystery to it; it just has not happened for me. But he couldn't accept that as an answer and kept asking, every single night, often multiple times. He asked me; he asked my mom; he announced (much to the embarrassment of his wife) that HE would marry me. Everyone, including his wife, asked him to stop. He wouldn't stop. EVERY night, he would say, "I know I'm not supposed to ask you this, but why aren't you married?"

My most awkward dinner moment was actually a series of moments. I'm a 50-year-old woman and I was traveling on a cruise with my mother. Our dinner table included three married couples. two and a half of whom were very nice. But the man who sat across from my mother was absolutely obsessed with finding out why I'm not married. There's no particular mystery to it; it just has not happened for me. But he couldn't accept that as an answer and kept asking, every single night, often multiple times. He asked me; he asked my mom; he announced (much to the embarrassment of his wife) that HE would marry me. Everyone, including his wife, asked him to stop. He wouldn't stop. EVERY night, he would say, "I know I'm not supposed to ask you this, but why aren't you married?"

His wife should have said "if you don't stop asking her that, you won't be married either". How rude.

WOW what an a**! I would have changed tables. I could imagine his wife was embarassed that she WAS married to him. OMG

With all due respect, I think that one could excuse themselves for a moment and inject in the bathroom or right outside the dining room. And, one could always carry a few crackers, etc. at all times. Really, as soon as you sit down, there are rolls and butter placed on the table. If any of the above are not going to work for the person with diabetes, then I think that they should ask for a table for two or sit with family and close friends. Many people have an aversion to someone injecting themselves at the table shared with strangers in the MDR.

If this happened at my table, I would ask to be moved. This is my opinion and it doesn't mean that I don't have empathy. It's just that I don't want to go to dinner and see folks taking an injection at the table.

Refined carbs that you descrbe may not be fast acting enough, depending on when the insulin was injected. 'Seesawing' insulin and food can be risky to blood sugar levels and long term complications.

Diabetic needles are now marker pen like where you cannot see the needle or the fluid (see below). My hubby often injects and I haven't noticed.

novorapid_flexpen.png

Going off topic now but this is the same attitude as people objecting to women breastfeeding in public. Things are a part of life and people need to get over it. This is especially true with a diabetic where in my opinion. their long term health is more important than someone feeling uncomfortable at the dinner table. Its also the reason some diabetics do no inject as soon as they should at public dinners because certain people make them feel uncomfortable....then thats their health at risk.

You would have to be watching very closely to catch most diabetics do it. I understand the discomfort somewhat but I dislike the attitude it breeds.

WOW what an a**! I would have changed tables. I could imagine his wife was embarassed that she WAS married to him. OMG

He WAS an a**, and I felt bad for his wife, who had clearly been putting up for years with his inability to shut up, even when asked nicely. The other couples were so nice that we didn't want to switch tables, so we just did our best to ignore his rudeness; but yes, in retrospect, we probably should have moved.

I can only remember one bad series. It really wasn't an embarassment so much, as just having to put up with cloddish statements. This guy would hog the conversation, talk about how much he paid for the cruise as opposed to others, and expound upon himself and his likes and dislikes. His wife would always look down at the table or her lap during these times. Then on the last night she told us, when he was away from the table that they were divorced, not married, but still vacationed together. Huh? I thought the benefit of being divorced was that you didn't have to tolerate each other any more.

Then on the last night she told us, when he was away from the table that they were divorced, not married, but still vacationed together. Huh? I thought the benefit of being divorced was that you didn't have to tolerate each other any more.

Apparently there is no end to what people will go thru to avoid the single supplement.

Refined carbs that you descrbe may not be fast acting enough, depending on when the insulin was injected. 'Seesawing' insulin and food can be risky to blood sugar levels and long term complications.

Diabetic needles are now marker pen like where you cannot see the needle or the fluid (see below). My hubby often injects and I haven't noticed.

novorapid_flexpen.png

Going off topic now but this is the same attitude as people objecting to women breastfeeding in public. Things are a part of life and people need to get over it. This is especially true with a diabetic where in my opinion. their long term health is more important than someone feeling uncomfortable at the dinner table. Its also the reason some diabetics do no inject as soon as they should at public dinners because certain people make them feel uncomfortable....then thats their health at risk.

You would have to be watching very closely to catch most diabetics do it. I understand the discomfort somewhat but I dislike the attitude it breeds.

Just like breastfeeding, if it's done discretely I don't see the problem. Unfortunately some people like to make a production of it to be sure that everyone knows what they are doing. This is where it becomes a problem. My sister breastfed all four kids, and I can't tell you how many times she had one attached and no one had a clue about it while baby was nestled up to her under a light cloth as if she were shielding it's eyes from the overhead lights or sun.

I can think of so many comebacks. I looking for somebody not like you and they are hard to find...I am amazed that somebody took you in marriage...Ask your wife why I may avoid marriage...If you know you're not supposed to ask, why are you asking?

I commend you for sticking it out.

I have two.

First was when a woman I used to work with and don't like at all was seated at the table next to us at dinner. What were the chances, seeing as how we now lived 1000 miles away and hadn't seen each other in 10 years. I didn't even recognize her at first, but as soon as she started to speak to me and ask me if I remembered her, I did. I fibbed and said I didn't, because I didn't want to prolong the conversation. We had dinner at the alternative restaurants the rest of the cruise, and didn't run into her again. Relief!

Second was when we were seated with another couple during an open seating dinner the first night of the cruise. We definitely didn't hit it off with them, and tried to avoid them the rest of the week. We had some fantastic meals and met wonderful new friends, but the last night we asked to be seated at a large table, and guess who we were seated with. Ugh. The same couple from the first night. Fortunately they were off the next day while we continued our B2B.

Maybe you should have said because they don't allow us to marry in my state and she couldn't come! Or, you are divorced recently and haven't yet found another husband! You can let your other tablemates know this was said to shut him up!

With all due respect, I think that one could excuse themselves for a moment and inject in the bathroom or right outside the dining room. And, one could always carry a few crackers, etc. at all times. Really, as soon as you sit down, there are rolls and butter placed on the table. If any of the above are not going to work for the person with diabetes, then I think that they should ask for a table for two or sit with family and close friends. Many people have an aversion to someone injecting themselves at the table shared with strangers in the MDR.

If this happened at my table, I would ask to be moved. This is my opinion and it doesn't mean that I don't have empathy. It's just that I don't want to go to dinner and see folks taking an injection at the table.

Sorry, you do lack a certain degree of empathy. Although I no longer use pens to deliver my insulin as I am on the insulin pump, during my pen days you never would have noticed what I was doing unless you were staring at my midsection which is rude in and of itself. :D Now drawing up insulin in a syringe and then injecting is another matter and I would object to that.

Oh yeah and I am sure that if my tablemates see me setting the bolus (dosage) on my pump some would roll thier eyes and post on CC that "a guy at my table checked his messages every night." :D

I am 48 years old but I do look a bit younger as to the point that many times people mistaken my son 20 or daughter 26 as my younger brother and sister which we are quite used to by now. The awkward moment came while my Wife, Son, and I cruised on the Oasis and our waiter a super friendly and kind gentleman again assumed my son and I were brothers yet he heard my son call his mother Mom all the time, and for some reason at the exact same time my son and I thought out laud saying... If he thinks we are brothers he heard me call her mom then he thinks my wife is my mom too... that was the on going joke for the rest of the week. Our waiter had no idea how to get out of that mess but was a good sport about it.

On our first cruise we were at a table of 8 and only 1 other couple showed up the entire cruise. They were nice but we didn't have much in common.

On our B2B last year, DH and I again asked for a large table. We got to the table the first night and there was only 1 other man there. He introduced himself as Mr Blah blah....he was a teacher and every conversation was a knowledge challenge...there were never any other people are our table and, lucky us, he did the B2B, too!

On a Princess cruise, we were doing the UBD and I looked up at one point and saw several people looking down at us eating haha.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if someone at my table injected himself with insulin.

But I am surprised to find out that my taking a baby aspirin each day with my breakfast (as instructed by my cardiologist) is considered bad manners by someone upthread.

It wouldn't bother my traveling companion or me in the least if we were the last to show up for dinner and found out that the two empty seats weren't next to each other. That's what happens when you're last. Similarly, we don't care if we can't sit together at shows. We're happy for one of us to sit here and the other one there. We would never expect people to move over to accomodate us.

I agree with those that say that dinner service is geared to the slowest eater/the one who orders three or four of everything. That's why my friend and I prefer a table for two. However, on our cruise last fall on the Celebrity Summit, even though we were at a table for two and ordered just one appetizer and one entree (sometimes no appetizer at all) because we wanted to leave early, we found that our waiter treated all of his tables as if we were all seated at one huge table. So after eating our one appetizer, we had to wait until everyone at the other tables finished eating their several appetizers, several salads, and soup before we got our entrees. And if we didn't order any appetizer, we had to wait to get our entrees when everyone else got their entrees. Yes, we told the waiter that we wanted to leave ASAP, but it didn't do any good. In my questionnaire, I gave the dining room personnel the lowest rating possible and explained why. I guess it worked, because on my recent cruise on the Celebrity Summit, we were treated as a table for two, and we didn't have to wait and wait because of people at other tables.

My most awkward dinners were on NCL, when we couldn't get a table for two and had to share. The first night, there were seven of us (three twosomes and a solo man) going to a table for eight, but when we got there, there were only five of us. Two people decided at the last second that they didn't want to eat with strangers, and we had to wait and wait and wait for another twosome or threesome to show up who didn't mind eating with strangers. We had to wait a very long time, and I was angry, because I was sure that a table for two must have opened up by then, and we were still waiting, because the waiter refused to give us menus or take our orders until everyone was seated. Finally, another twosome showed up. My friend and I talked with the solo man. The other four people didn't say one word during dinner, except to order their meals.

The next night, when we showed up, the couple in front of us was asked if they wanted to share a table. They couldn't decide. Then we were asked, and we said yes. Eventually another couple showed up, and they were asked if they wanted to share a table. They said no way and ran to eat somewhere else. Then no one showed up for quite a while. So the first couple said that they would share a table with us. But they were so angry at feeling coerced to share a table with us that they scowled all during dnner and didn't say a word, except to order their meals. When we left the dining room, I frowned at the host, who promised me that we would get a table for two the next day.

That's what happens when NCL tells people that they won't have to eat with pesky strangers if they don't want to, and then they make it difficult to avoid eating with pesky strangers. People get angry!

All I know is your statement which shows no empathy whatever toward people with diabetes. You otherwise may be the most empathetic compassionate person this side of sainthood, however, on this issue your vehement statement based on a preconceived notion that is incorrect, for the most, part speaks volumes to me. Yes I do know an in your face insulin "showoff", and have chastized her for her over the top antics.

Yes, a person can use their pen without others knowing if they so choose. I never know when my sister does. I agree with you too, as far as some may have little empathy. People like that may have to learn empathy though when it happens to them or a family member. I hope for their sake that does not happen. I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy.

But then if a person makes it very obvious as your friend does,no wonder some feel this way. I am surprised this person does that because then it seems others go into judgemental mode and chastise you for taking a bite of dessert or eating 2 rolls instead of one when you bring attention that you have this. THAT is why I would choose not to be obvious about it.

Kind've funny too people without diabetes think this way about how a person eats who has this, when the doctors do not encourage us that much to stick to our diet anymore. If you say you wish you could eat a bit more, they give you more meds. I know my doctor was surprised when I wanted to go off a med that allowed me to eat more carbs, but also caused weight gain, (of course from being able to eat more, but the med also caused me to crave carbs badly) ran up my blood pressure, and my cholestral.

I had to do it though as my cholestral meds were causing my hair to fall out, I was going bald, and as the other cholestral meds I used before caused muscle spasms which could weaken my heart if I kept taking them, and so I could not take those either.

That is why I say I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy. This disease and the medications used to treat it cause so many OTHER health issues.

I will say diabetic insulin shots have come a long way. Mom's always left bruises on her and since it was a syringe she had to flick the air bubbles out before taking the shot. Now it is in a pen and the needle is super thin. My sister says she does not even feel it, unlike when she checks her blood sugar which I can vouch IS painful.

Insulin dependant diabetics are 3 times more apt to get advanced heart disease over non insulin dependant diabetics my heart doctor said, so I want to stay off it as long as I can. I am glad to know the needles no longer cause pain and bruising, thank goodness, but I know the longer I stay off of insulin the longer I will live.

On a Carnival Cruise years back.....we spent a day on the beach at Playa del Carmen.....on the beach near us sat a married couple and the entire time the husband was "eyeing and flirting" with another woman from our ship who appeared to be a "Sun Goddess" showing off her ASSets....:cool:

at dinner in the MDR that night we notice that the husband & wife were seated a few tables away from ours....and guess who seductively walks past their table....:eek:

yup the Sun Goddess strutted by causing many heads to turn (she was an attractive woman albeit dressed a tad bit on the sleazy side)....well after sashaying past the married couple's table the husband turned his head to get a better look...it was then that all hell broke loose......the wife ( a beautiful & sophisticated looking woman) stood said/yelled a few words at husband and proceeded to dump his dinner plate of food on him followed by splashing him with his drink.....:eek:

truly a spectacle to witness and hear...."OMG" could be heard from the many on-lookers at the adjacent tables......followed by a few other that started to applaud....many including myself who thought that the we had just witnessed a scene from a movie being filmed....:D

the scantly clad Sun Goddess was seen often parading around the ship while the husband & wife were never seen until the cruise was over....back at the Port of Tampa Cruise Terminal we saw the wife with her Vuitton collection being picked up by a limo ~ while the husband boarded a city bus....:eek:

a most memorable dining experience that most certainly ended up being settled in divorce court....:eek:

On a Carnival Cruise years back.....we spent a day on the beach at Playa del Carmen.....on the beach near us sat a married couple and the entire time the husband was "eyeing and flirting" with another woman from our ship who appeared to be a "Sun Goddess" showing off her ASSets....:cool:

at dinner in the MDR that night we notice that the husband & wife were seated a few tables away from ours....and guess who seductively walks past their table....:eek:

yup the Sun Goddess strutted by causing many heads to turn (she was an attractive woman albeit dressed a tad bit on the sleazy side)....well after sashaying past the married couple's table the husband turned his head to get a better look...it was then that all hell broke loose......the wife ( a beautiful & sophisticated looking woman) stood said/yelled a few words at husband and proceeded to dump his dinner plate of food on him followed by splashing him with his drink.....:eek:

truly a spectacle to witness and hear...."OMG" could be heard from the many on-lookers at the adjacent tables......followed by a few other that started to applaud....many including myself who thought that the we had just witnessed a scene from a movie being filmed....:D

Women!

Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Archived