Luggage Tags - what address should you use?

Shoalwater

When my wife and I returned from Israel recently (left from Tel Aviv) I noticed my address label on one piece of luggage had been carefully removed from its holder. It wasn’t by accident since the holder remained intact and was still strapped by a web buckle to the luggage. The plastic clamshell holder had tiny fingers all around that fit into holes in the other piece when folded together. These fingers box in the address card such that it is impossible for it to slip out. It had to have been manually removed. We had no issues on returning, but I began to wonder if our information had been emailed to a contact in NYC for nefarious purposes (like, the people at this address are in Israel now and won’t be home for at least 12 hours).

Since the airlines always ask you for the delivery address in the case of lost/delayed baggage, I am in the process of replacing all the addresses on our luggage and using the physical address of our local police station.

When my wife and I returned from Israel recently (left from Tel Aviv) I noticed my address label on one piece of luggage had been carefully removed from its holder. It wasn’t by accident since the holder remained intact and was still strapped by a web buckle to the luggage. The plastic clamshell holder had tiny fingers all around that fit into holes in the other piece when folded together. These fingers box in the address card such that it is impossible for it to slip out. It had to have been manually removed. We had no issues on returning, but I began to wonder if our information had been emailed to a contact in NYC for nefarious purposes (like, the people at this address are in Israel now and won’t be home for at least 12 hours).

Since the airlines always ask you for the delivery address in the case of lost/delayed baggage, I am in the process of replacing all the addresses on our luggage and using the physical address of our local police station.

We use our TA's address & phone #, with our name and initials, although not as listed in the phone book, so they can not be compared that way!! ;)

Cato :D

Passed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 November 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Fifth & (hopefully Platinum member cruise), Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver -LA

Repositioning .

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Crown Princess, 26 Mach 2011, 7 day Western Carribean, LA to LA

Eighth cruise - Emerald Princess, 04 June 2011, 11 day Baltic, Copenhagen to Copenhagen

I use my office address. I would not recommend using a police station in that this is also the address an airline will attempt to return luggage to if lost of misrouted (often regardless of what you put on a claim form).

You want an address other than someone's home but somewhere where someone you know and trust can receive a package and you can get it from (which is why I don't use my TA, she's further away than the office - but that is an excellent idea as well). I know one person who uses his doctor's office, another who uses a local dry cleaners where he knows the owner..

We used to use DH's office address, but then realized that if the luggage went missing, it would be returned to him at work and we would be on vacation somewhere with minimal clothing.

Now, I just put my contact information:

My name

My e-mail address

My cell phone (which I keep with me on every vacation)

and

"Itinerary information inside"

IMO, no one needs to know anything more about you. We always put an itinerary inside each piece of luggage so that if the bag goes missing, they can track us and (ideally) send us the bags. ;)

I never, ever put an address on our luggage tags. We just put name, city and cell phone number. If my luggage is lost then I'll file a claim and can provide detailed info at that time.

We used to put DH's business card in our luggage tags, but heard of a couple of cases where people used their business card, and the thief called the office, asked for the person and was told, "he's on vacation for a week". The thief then knew they had a week to go through the house, and with zabasearch it's pretty easy to find a home address... May be a hoax story, but it made me change what info we provide.

Archived