New To NCL Some ?????

gram2trips

Will be doing our first cruise on the NCL Gem March 26, 2010. Can anyone tell me about their kids programs, taking grandchildren ages 6?? Also are gratuaties prepaid or can we pay at end of cruise?? Does NCL tell us what we have to pay?? Is there a dress up night at dinner?? How is the food?? Thanks for the info

Sara

They have a great kids program. Go tour and sign up on embarkation day.

Gratuities are automatically added to your on board account - $12 per person per day. You can prepay those if you like. Just call whoever you booked thru and say you want to prepay them - or leave them on your acct and pay at the end of the cruise.

NCL's famous concept - no formal wear required. They'll have a "dress up or not night" We don't usually wear anything special but many people do. I'd say food is best described as average. Others will probably disagree with me. We used to really like their food but they've made some cuts recently and I think the cuts went way too far.

Will be doing our first cruise on the NCL Gem March 26, 2010. Can anyone tell me about their kids programs, taking grandchildren ages 6?? Also are gratuaties prepaid or can we pay at end of cruise?? Does NCL tell us what we have to pay?? Is there a dress up night at dinner?? How is the food?? Thanks for the info

Sara

Hi Sara,

We've done 7 cruises on the GEM so far, with another one booked on her next year........we love the ship, it's like home to us.

We thought the food this year was even better than past years....but everyone has their own tastes.

You can check the television in your cabin to see your daily charges, or request a copy of your bill from the desk in the atrium at any time. Tips of $12 per person are charged automatically. Bar bills, and spa services automatically add an additional 15% to their receipts which you sign for. If your in a suite the Butler and Concierge aren't included in the tip pool, so we tip them based upon how much we use their services. Also, the kids club counselors aren't part of the general $12 per day tip pool, so tip them at the end of the cruise.

Resort casual attire is always suitable for dinner, there will be a dress up or not night which some will dress more formally for. They do set up photo areas in the atrium each evening so you can have formal pictures taken, or even informal pictures........you choice.

Here's what the NCL website says about the kids club: Sounds fun to me.

Just for Kids (Age 2-12)

Kid’s Crew® Program (Ages 2-12) – Complimentary

It’s their vacation too, so let us entertain, inspire and amuse your kids. We’ve got a top-notch Youth Staff, selected from university education and recreational programs, who know just what kids like. Each staff member is certified in CPR and first aid. Kids can play with friends, siblings, and other cruisers in their own age group and participate in age appropriate activities. And you? You’ll have to find your own places to play. This is a kids-only zone.

Hours of Operation Embarkation Day:8:00 pm – 10:30 pmPort Days:Departure* from Port to 10:30 pmSea Days:9:00 am – 10:30 pm

*Departure Time varies from ship to ship based on itinerary.

For General Information, Age Groupings, Freestyle Free Play, and Emergency Information, please refer to the FAQ tab.

Juniors (Ages 2-5)

Developmental activities, storytelling, arts and crafts, games, treasure hunts and parades

First Mates (Ages 6-9)

Spy/drama games, Wii, crafts, computer games, dance parties, video arcade, games and specialty classes

Sara

Sara,

You will get several varieties of answers which I am sure you know. Here are mine:

kids program: rarely are there complaints, some say their biggest complaint is trying to get their kids out of the kids program to even eat with them.

Yes, the gratuities are billed daily, not at the end, pretty much like most mass marketed lines today.

No dressing up for dinner unless you choose to, no shorts in the dining room either.

The food is subjective. I would rate it similar to your neighborhood independently owned 3 star restaurant overall. Like in years past you still have linen napkins, the hostess or wait staff will put the napkin on your lap, the service is usually good and the food is tasty but it isn't Ruths Chris or a 5 star local restaurant. Some of the specialty dining rooms, with extra charge are above and beyond.

Nita

Sara,

kids program: rarely are there complaints, some say their biggest complaint is trying to get their kids out of the kids program to even eat with them.

Just came back from an NCL cruise, and I'm gonna stick my neck out and make a strong suggestion here...

If you're bringing children under say, 6, please think of others before choosing where to take them to eat/be entertained. My husband and I are child-free and just got back from our first cruise, and were absolutely SHOCKED at the amount of small children shrieking and running about in decidedly adult areas.

Even in the otherwise hushed atmosphere of Cagney's Steakhouse (one of the more expensive specialty restaurants), and the Spinnaker Lounge (a very cool forward lounge/bar with some very adult humor being performed) there were not only kids and babies, but yelling, blood-curdling shrieks, running around, knocking stuff over, and more. DH and I cut more than one meal or show short because parents insisted on bringing kids under 3 that naturally couldn't stop screaming (because they're under 3!) :mad:

The food is subjective. I would rate it similar to your neighborhood independently owned 3 star restaurant overall. Like in years past you still have linen napkins, the hostess or wait staff will put the napkin on your lap, the service is usually good and the food is tasty but it isn't Ruths Chris or a 5 star local restaurant. Some of the specialty dining rooms, with extra charge are above and beyond.

Nita has this right on, Sara. The food on our Epic trans-Atlantic was just fine. No complaints about the food in main dining rooms or buffet. If you want something different in a cozier environment, try one of the specialty restaurants.

At mass-market cruise line prices, you simply aren't going to get Ruth's Chris or Four Seasons caliber food. Some people simply can't seem to understand that, and they whine incessantly.

Archived