QE2 & Artemis.

bcscot

Both of these ships are/were well loved older ships in their respective fleets. I have sailed on QE2 & am wondering about trying to sail on Artemis before she leaves the P&O fleet. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has sailed on both ships, to get their opinions on the two ships, including similarities & contrasts.

Thank you for your help & opinions. :)

Both of these ships are/were well loved older ships in their respective fleets. I have sailed on QE2 & am wondering about trying to sail on Artemis before she leaves the P&O fleet. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has sailed on both ships, to get their opinions on the two ships, including similarities & contrasts.

Thank you for your help & opinions. :)

I have not sailed on Artemis but I know someone who has and she thought it looked tired and that was a few years go.

The two ships have some things in common, both had Captain McNaught as master and were sold by Carol Marlow.

I have sailed on both and Artemis is one of my favourite ships, yes it is old and a bit cranky but look in the mirror. We all are getting that way. It is smaller, intimate and a proper ship. QE2 I only experienced shortly before she headed to Dubai. She was old by that time although my cabin in the bowels was fun to find but perfectly adequate. I imagine in her day she must have been quite stunning. You should go on her whilst you have the opportunity. I am on Artemis at Christmas for the last time which will be quite sad. I hate goodbyes.

I loved QE2 and currently Artemis is my favourite ship. Yes - she is aging, but that gives her a wonderful comfortable feel. The crew are the best in the P&O Fleet IMO and go that extra mile to make a cruise special. OK, I am biased having just completed a book to commemorate her in both her Royal Princess and Artemis days, but I only wrote it because I think she is such a special ship. There is little similarity between QE2 and Artemis - the latter was built as a cruise ship, but she was the most advanced ship of her day. I have photos here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseShipsArtemis#

Some friends have just come off her on their first ever cruise and comments on how polished and clean she is looking. She had a refit last April, so she is not by any means looking tatty or tired, but yes - she is aging! Every cabin has a bath by the way, as well as over bath shower. Please feel free to ask any questions.

I miss QE2 dreadfully, as I will Artemis.

My thanks to all, for your replies. I wonder what Ian McNaught thought of her?

Those are lovely photos, ships cat. Thank you for posting the link. I especially liked the pictures of the promenade deck. It has a traditional look to it. I see that you have also sailed on Vistafjord/Caronia. I sailed on her as Saga Ruby, last year & I feel that she is, more than any other, the 'jewel in the crown' of the old, traditional ships, which are still in service, (especially since the Mona Lisa/Victoria is no longer in service).

The Artemis is, of course, of a newer generation than QE2 & Caronia, maybe more like the HAL Prinsendam, which is also an old Cunarder, as Royal Viking Sun. I sailed on her as Prinsendam & liked her, so I imagine that I would like Artemis. Do you know if they have fixed the engine problem which was causing delays & missed ports earlier this year?

As QE2 was preparing to leave Southampton on her final British Isles cruise, Artemis sailed past & whistle blasts were exchanged. That was my first sight of Artemis (& it was before she met Ian McNaught & Carol Marlow, Stephen, because they were both on board QE2 ;)).

Both QE2 & Saga Ruby had an old country house feel to their decor (latterly of course). Artemis looks more 80s/90s cruise ship in her decor, maybe a bit more like Fred Olsen, with those P&O pastels. She looks inviting & comfortable though.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Yes Bcscot- they have fixed the engine issue and all four are now working just fine. There is a little engine vibration felt on one or two tables in the Coral Dining Room and Conservatory, but generally she is an excellent ship for bad weather. She is probably more pastel in decor than most older P&O ships because of her Princess past - she was designed for the North American market - Alaska cruises in the summer and Mexican Riviera in the winter. She is still the only mainstream cruise ship with all outside cabins though.

Ah - the beautiful Vistajord - she was indeed a superb 5* ship in her day. One day I may try her under Saga before she follows poor Saga Rose.

I loved QE2 and currently Artemis is my favourite ship. Yes - she is aging, but that gives her a wonderful comfortable feel. The crew are the best in the P&O Fleet IMO and go that extra mile to make a cruise special. OK, I am biased having just completed a book to commemorate her in both her Royal Princess and Artemis days, but I only wrote it because I think she is such a special ship. There is little similarity between QE2 and Artemis - the latter was built as a cruise ship, but she was the most advanced ship of her day. I have photos here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseShipsArtemis#

Some friends have just come off her on their first ever cruise and comments on how polished and clean she is looking. She had a refit last April, so she is not by any means looking tatty or tired, but yes - she is aging! Every cabin has a bath by the way, as well as over bath shower. Please feel free to ask any questions.

I miss QE2 dreadfully, as I will Artemis.

I am very impressed that you have written a book on the Artemis. You are obviously a good person to ask about the QE2 & Artemis! I have just received my copy of David Pressler Jr.'s new book, 'Olympia: The Life and Times of a Greek Goddess' which is about the Olympia/Regal Empress, one of the last of the Clyde built liners. It is a lovely momento of a wonderful old ship. I hope that your book will be the same for the Artemis, although, of course, she will sail on yet for a while.

It makes sense that the Princess history of Artemis will give her a bit more of a Princess flavour in her decor. I am glad to hear that the engine problem has been resolved. I think that most of these older ships can have some vibration problems at times.

Now, it remains to be seen if I will manage to sail on Artemis before she moves on. Thanks again. :)

I am very impressed that you have written a book on the Artemis. You are obviously a good person to ask about the QE2 & Artemis! I have just received my copy of David Pressler Jr.'s new book, 'Olympia: The Life and Times of a Greek Goddess' which is about the Olympia/Regal Empress, one of the last of the Clyde built liners. It is a lovely momento of a wonderful old ship. I hope that your book will be the same for the Artemis, although, of course, she will sail on yet for a while.

Now, it remains to be seen if I will manage to sail on Artemis before she moves on. Thanks again. :)

Certainly there are not many cruises left to book. I have one last week on her in December - sadly. The book will hopefully be published around then. It is in the same series as the Janette McCutcheon one on QE2. If you can manage it, I feel it is nice to experience these older ships before they all go in favour of the mega-barge styles of ship! They have such a unique and differing character.

Archived