Embarktion Question- First Time Cruiser

Flamingo19040

I have been reading that some people don't get their luggage until like 5 or so when they embark and sometimes have to eat dinner with the clothes that they wore when they got on.

If we are there at 11 a.m. for a 4 p.m. leave time - wouldn't we have our luggage by our dinner seating time at 6:15?

We will be on the Fascination - leaving April 25.

Thanks for your input.

:)

I have been reading that some people don't get their luggage until like 5 or so when they embark and sometimes have to eat dinner with the clothes that they wore when they got on.

If we are there at 11 a.m. for a 4 p.m. leave time - wouldn't we have our luggage by our dinner seating time at 6:15?

Thanks for your input.

Impossible to say, you could very well get your luggage before dinner. Its a good idea to board the ship in what you would feel comfortable wearing to dinner. You can pack shorts, swimwear in your carry on if you want to change.

They have a lot of luggage to go through and they sort it by deck and stuff. Then they have to deliver it all. So it takes awhile.

Anyhoo -- on our first cruise we got our bags just in time to change for dinner and on our second, we got them quite a bit earlier than that.

In any case, it's easy enough to pack a change of outfit in your carryon (always a good idea anyway, in case the airline loses your bags for awhile). Then you can freshen up and be civilized. :)

--Heidi

ps. Everyone at dinner the first night looks somewhat more rumpled/less dressy than subsequent nights. People are still unpacking/getting luggage/getting their bearings. Everyone understands.

Thanks for your input.

Just returned from my first cruise on Sunday 2/13. We were on the Elation out of Galveston. We arrived at the terminal and gave our bags to the porter at 11:15AM. It took us about 1 hour to go through the check-in process. We were very surprised to not receive our luggage in our cabin until 6:45PM. We had both worn jeans so there was no problem with going to the regular dining room with the clothes we had worn to board in. If you're leaving from a port where it is nice and warm and you're wearing shorts when you board, you may want to pack some long pants and a nice shirt in your carry-on. You may also want to carry on any items you use when you're preparing to go out (hairdryer, make-up, hair gel, etc.).

We had a wonderful time as I'm sure you will too. Browse the boards and you'll receive a wealth of information. I felt quite prepared before we went. I did bring way too many clothes though!! :D

Rhonda

Remember one thing..you may get there early but they won't move the bin with your luggage in it until it is full. It could sit there all day waiting to be put on the ship but they won't move it until it's full or the ship is ready to pull out.

OK I'm probably going to get flamed for this one, but I really like comfort. On the first night the majority of people are in shorts etc in the the dining room. I never dress for dinner even if my bags are there. Too many other things to do before dinner and I am not going to dig through suitcases when most people are in shorts, capris, etc. Go ahead a flame… I'm tough ....LOL…. I wonder how many other people will admit to this dastardly deed?

Archived