Arabella: great tall-ship cruising!!

SailorJM

We just returned from our cruise aboard the Arabella, a three-masted schooner that sails New England, the Chesapeake and in the Caribbean. We sailed New England (Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, etc) and this was one great cruise: ship/crew/itinerary! Ship only holds 40, but only 23 passengers on this cruise, so we sort of had a private yacht. Ship sails in the morning, so everyone can enjoy the sailing experience, then anchors in port and is there for rest of day, evening and night, so you have plenty of time to explore. Included was a New England lobster bash on shore that was fantastic: lobster, clams, raw bar, corn on the cob.....

Because it was New England, and most folks want to enjoy the local cuisine, Arabella does not include dinners (except for the lobster bash) on the New England or Chesapeake cruises. Cruise rates are lower for these cruises than for the Caribbean for this reason. But the breakfasts and lunches on board were great, especially for a small ship.

If you find pleasure in a magnificent sunrise, the joy of the wind brushing your cheeks and blowing your hair, a spectacular sunset or even an amazing moon rise over the water, plus exploring great ports.....this is your ship! Beautiful ship, well maintained, great food, wonderful (all-American) crew and carrying an American flag....but be aware that these are really cozy cabins: not a lot of floor space, but queen sized beds and baths with shower. Also some cabins with bunks and some with kings. Well laid out with plenty of drawer space. But a closet? Well forget that. But you don't need anything more than shorts, tops, swimsuit anyway!

If you have sailed Windstar or Star Clipper, that is not Arabella. She is more like the late, lamented Windjammers. We have sailed them all, and since Windjammers are no longer around, we are putting Arabella at the top for just plain pure enjoyment and casual fun!

We were so pleased with our cruise we booked a second one as soon as we disembarked (since the office is right there in Newport). Visit cruisearabella.com to find out more.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have sailed Windstar or Star Clipper, that is not Arabella. She is more like the late, lamented Windjammers. We have sailed them all, and since Windjammers are no longer around, we are putting Arabella at the top for just plain pure enjoyment and casual fun!

We were so pleased with our cruise we booked a second one as soon as we disembarked (since the office is right there in Newport). Visit cruisearabella.com to find out more.

There are lots of windjammer cruises around -

http://www.sailmainecoast.com/?gclid=CKuuubSBlaQCFQ9qgwodIks2Iw

Check out this site. We have sailed on the Lewis R French.

DON

Hi SailorJM,

We've been on the Arabella in the Caribbean five times and the Spanish Virgins is our favorite. We've done it three times and would do it again. If you like to snorkel this is a great trip. Don't miss the bio-bay. I was afraid that it would be pretty hokey, but the guides we've had have been scientists and really concerned and knowledgeable about this special environment. If it's a dark night you turn into an instant god or goddess with sparkling lights dripping from your finger tips!

• 3 months later...

Debsailing,

Could you tell me why the Spanish VI was your favorite? We are looking into going on a trip with Arabella and we were leaning toward the BVI. I definitely want to get back to the Baths but if the SVI is better, I could always get over to Virgin Gorda on a day after we get off. I would love any insight you have and to ask you a couple questions if you have time. Do you have a review anywhere?

I would also love to know about the difference in cabin sizes in practicality. How much is each sq foot worth ;) Is it worth the extra $450 to gain the 5 sq feet from a D to C for instance or is small just small. Things like that.

Thank you so much in advance

I am including my e-mail, because most of the time I don't get notifications on threads. I will try to continue to check back but if e-mail works, that would be great. mjcrouch@4dv.net

If I may jump in here: Arabella cabins are compact. I would not take anything other than an A or B, if there are two of you. Snug is probably a better word for the size. Well laid out, so that everything has its place (unless you don't follow the suggestion and bring too much!), but definitely snug. Not that you spend much time IN the cabin. The common areas, especially the deck areas, are where you will want to be.....enjoying the breezes, the views and your fellow passengers and crew.

We picked Spanish Virgins for our second Arabella cruise (one month away!) simply because there are some we have never been to, whereas we have visited the British Virgins several times.

SailorJM in San Diego

Archived