safety in Italy

lyntony

We are two older ladies traveling alone. We have limited mobility issues, so can't walk far.

We DID NOT HAVE ONE PROBLEM WITH PICKPOCKETS.

We did have numerous run-ins with scammers, but that was our own fault. A man at the Spanish Steps offered me about 4 roses for a photo. Then wouldn't take them back wanting 4 EURO for them. At the Colloseum, there was a teenager that wanted money, nothing for sale, but very persistent that he needed cash.

Then the taxi drivers in Rome could be considered scammers too. We had a hotel about 10 blocks from the Vatican. I thought we could walk it, but it was just too far. We took a total of 5 taxi's and every single one of them charged a different rate. Stating that time of day, whether you call for the taxi, etc. makes a difference in the amount.

Then you must pay a fee (5 EUR for us) to sit at a restaurant. That's in addition to whatever you order. And I've read on this board that they set the bread on the table, then if you eat it, they charge you for it. I was forewarned of this, so we didn't touch the bread.

Then in Venice, Princess charged us $24 pp for a 5 minute transfer to Piazzale Roma (the peoplemover wasn't operating yet) and not one taxi at the pier.

Then in Paris, I had purchased a dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe on-line for only $35. Our hotel was at the airport. The taxi from the airport to Paris cost $110 going and only $50 for the return, so our dinner and evening in Paris ended up being very expensive.

AGAIN, WE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH PICKPOCKETS (in Paris, Rome, Venice, Athens, Kusadasi, Corfu, Naples or Sorrento), but did have the feeling of being ripped off a lot in Europe. Just our experience.

This is our first cruise to Italy, and I have heard that you have to be very careful to avoid theft.

What is the safest way to carry your Passport and money? I bought the little pockets you wear around your neck, but my husband thinks it might be safer to have one around your middle.

Last night, friends told me that, when staying in a hotel (which we will do for a few days in Venice), you can leave your valuables (including Passport) in the hotel safe. Has anyone ever done this? We do that when on the Ship.

Also, my husband thinks I should not wear my expensive jewellery while walking around the countryside, but I don't want to leave it at home.

We were told that the robbers there can steal your socks with your shoes on!!!!

Thank you

Lyntony

We just spent 3wks (12day cruise) and bal.touring on our own. If you'd like send me an e-mail I will tell you what we do.

basiaz03@gmail.com

Barbara

ps: also live in Newmarket

Getting pick pocketed in Rome is a lot higher than in Disney World. I speak from experiance.

I really doubt many pickpockets are going to pay $80 dollars to get into Disney World and then attempt to pickpocket some tourist with their kids. I really doubt they would get much more than the price of the ticket. :) Last I heard, you don't have to pay an entrance fee to get into an Italian city.

I can see an expensive bracelet being an easy target if it fits loose around your wrist. Pickpockets are opportunists. Don't give them an opportunity and you won't have a problem. If you carry a backpack/daypack, don't keep anything of real value in there, if you do carry something you don't want to lose in it, keep it in front of you and zipped up. If you carry a purse, wear it over your shoulder or in such a way that it is not an easy target. Don't set a bag/purse/camera on a table or chair if you sit down for a drink, snack or meal. Don't carry more than you need to, I avoid purses when traveling as I like to keep my hands free for my camera gear, I'm amazed at the amount of stuff my Mom still carries in her purse when traveling that she really doesn't need. Keep a close eye on your belongings especially in a crowd and if a crowd gathers around to watch something going on, keep yours eyes open. The only place in Italy that I would bother to leave any expensive jewelry on the ship or in a hotel safe is in Naples. Even there, I still carried a large-ish DSL camera with me and we had no problems at all. I do wear a Scottee Vest as it has lots of internal zipped pockets and allows me to carry things like guidebooks, ipod for podcasts and audio guides and such, a smaller water bottle and pockets for my sunglasses when we go indoors, those are great in cooler weather but can get really hot in warmer weather. I also utilize money belts and other internal zipped pockets. You're going to look like a tourist no matter what, you need to find the clothes and system that works best for you. Make sure you are comfortable and can keep a close eye or hand on your belongings.

I really doubt many pickpockets are going to pay $80 dollars to get into Disney World and then attempt to pickpocket some tourist with their kids. I really doubt they would get much more than the price of the ticket. :) Last I heard, you don't have to pay an entrance fee to get into an Italian city.

Pickpockets are everywhere, that is essentially what I meant. And yes, also at amusement parks. I worked for the airlines for a long time and believe it or not, passengers frequently rob each other on the red eye flights when everybody is asleep. The times the police were waiting at the gate for a flight because somebody was caught with his hand in his neighbour's purse were alarmingly high. And these people paid a lot more than $ 80 to get on that flight! Did you know by the way that statistically most people lose their valuables in hospital? And a lot of times it is the guy in the next bed, or his visitor? Funeral guests steal each others coats at memorial services too. It is this strange thing called "opportunity".

Like I said in another thread before, like Mrs Miggins from England also states here, I have never felt unsafe in Europe anywhere, whereas I have in the US or elsewhere in the world. Italy is not a particularly dangerous country, but some people on this board make it out to be extremely perilous. "Stealing your socks"? Looks like somebody has been watching too many Godfather movies! I have been all over European cities with a ladies handbag, and nothing ever happened. Maybe all this fuss over moneybelts and hidden pockets sends out the signal that there is something worth having in it? Just a speculation.

My Mother was with my sister and I near the Spanish Steps, some guy ran up behind her and took her bag off her shoulder and got on to a waiting motercycle. Leave your passport in the hotel safe, and if you have a cross body bag use that instead of a shoulder bag.

We never travel with good jewelry-this includes watches. Don't want to spend a moment worrying about it and we do not want to attract any thieves. We never travel with shiney new luggage either. Our old mismatched bags are very good and they do the trick.

I say "Amen Sister".....don't take anything anybody wants for themselves...years ago my friends and I started taking what we call our "cruise jewelry"...flashy, and fake....you can't emagine how many compliments I've had on those big rings....just the other day a young girl told me my ring was beautiful, ha, ha, I didn't say anything but Thank You!

Rick Steves has great advice about pickpockets in Rome.....The pickpocket express is the #6 bus, I believe.....we were on it and very aware of our surroudings....2 guys were definatlly scouting out my 84 yr old aunt....but I was standing back a few seats from her watching them...with a very dirty look....after a few minutes of eye contact...they moved on up to the front of the bus, or got off....I say Thanks Rick...we both did carry our money and cc's in a pouch hanging around our necks...but left most $$ and passports in the hotel safe....

Just use common sinse (sp)? Which is not too common anymore!

Sandy

Archived