safety in Italy

lyntony

This is our first cruise to Italy, and I have heard that you have to be very careful to avoid theft.

What is the safest way to carry your Passport and money? I bought the little pockets you wear around your neck, but my husband thinks it might be safer to have one around your middle.

Last night, friends told me that, when staying in a hotel (which we will do for a few days in Venice), you can leave your valuables (including Passport) in the hotel safe. Has anyone ever done this? We do that when on the Ship.

Also, my husband thinks I should not wear my expensive jewellery while walking around the countryside, but I don't want to leave it at home.

We were told that the robbers there can steal your socks with your shoes on!!!!

Thank you

Lyntony

I didn't find Italy to be any different than any other popular tourist area. You have to be careful anywhere you travel. I started of my tour in Italy with the pouch around my neck and under my shirt. After a few days, I switched to my zipped up handbag and learned to hold on to it especially in crowded areas. Never had any problems.

Italy is not one of the places where I felt overly unsafe; however, whenever traveling you should use caution. It's easy to get caught up in the romance and beauty of the place and become unaware of reality.

Expensive jewelry? Your husband is 100% correct. Do not take it. In fact, don't take it on any trip. Put it in your safe deposit box before you leave home. Why walk around wearing a "mug me" sign on yourself? I don't go on vacation to impress other people with my jewelry collection -- I wear costume jewelry and fun jewelry on vacation.

We carry copies of our passports with us at all time. Copies will NOT get you back in the US. All they'll do is help a little with the process if your passport is lost/stolen. We leave the original passports in the hotel safe. Occasionally we take the originals with us (if you're planning on buying something over a certain euro value, you need to show a passport in order to get the VAT back). If we do that, DH has a waist safe that goes in his pants. We call it the currency colostomy, although we didn't invent that term.

We split our money up into multiple pockets so that if we get pick-pocketed, they don't get everything. We rely pretty heavily on ATMs so that we're never carrying around more than the equivalent of $100 or $200 max.

I'm careful with my purse, but no more so than at home. I carry it in front of me, holding it in hand rather than letting it hang loose. Truthfully, I do that at home too. I do NOT keep my money in my purse. You can buy a purse with a steel cable in the strap so that it can't be slashed -- try http://www.magellans.com to find one. I bought one, but seldom use it. I like my other purses better.

Seriously, there are many, many places in the world where you would feel less safe than Italy. Just use common sense and you'll be ok.

IMO - leave your expensive jewelry at home. You often stand out as a tourist by bringing it.

For money and passport while in Italy - I much preferred the "around the neck" option that I wore under my shirt. My friends use the waist method and hate getting access to it if they wear it under their jeans and if they wear it outside of their jeans, they are vulnerable to theft that way (they distract you with a book and then slit it from below or unzip it and steal that way).

I have never had problems on a ship. I leave the important items in my room.

In Italy (especially Rome) - you have to watch out for pick-pocketers (gypsies).

When we were in Rome spending a few weeks before and post cruise some in our group were pick pocketed. I would be extremely cautious anywhere it is crowded these guys are professionals. One person in our group did not realize they had been a target for over an hour.

For a guy my personal favorite for carrying passports, money etc. is what is called an "inside pocket". It is made out of a comfortable material has a loop that goes through the belt and the pocket goes between your leg and the pants. Literally on the inside of the pants. There is also a a safety pin (like the ones used for diapers) that is suppled to make sure the loop or zipper does not fail which is fastened to the pant material. Sounds complicated but it's not. Unless a pick pocket pulls your pants down it's very secure.

Happy cruising,

Vinnie

:confused: Really?? Get real, I would say the chance to get robbed in Disney World is about the same as in Italy. Can happen anywhere, professional pickpockets look for crowds of unsuspecting tourists.

We just got back from the Grand Med last week.

7 of us in our family there and we never had any trouble at all. We were very worried about pickpockets too, if you listen to people talk they all know someone who has been pickpocketed in europe somewhere.

I bought a neck wallet and kept basically our daily port money (200e generally) and my drivers licence and two different credit cards with me. Passports are in Princess possession for most of the cruise anyway. We had a week total pre/post cruise in venice. There we kept everything in our room safe.

I had one occasion at the airport when we arrived that someone was acting funny around my back pack. Standing close when there was lots of room etc. I turned and gave them a nod and a wave off and they left. Not sure if it was a real treat but my spider senses were tingling.

The biggest threats I think are on crowded public transportation. Nearly every tale of being robbed has the commonality of being on the subway or a crowded train. We stayed away from these types of transport and mostly took cabs when we needed to. They were a cheap and fast way to get around, just remember to try to get them to go by the meter. We got over charged by a cab in Athens. (30e to go to the Acropolis flat rate, and the return trip was by the meter and it was only 15e to go back to the ship.)

Thinking about it afterwards, we were probably over reactive going into this trip. Not everyone on the street is a pickpocket after all. I think just being smart and not flashing around a lot of money or valuables is just being prudent an enough to keep you safe. Don't wear that 2 carat engagement ring or Rolex. Don't keep a fat wallet in your back pocket. Don't carry a purse if you absolutely don't have to. Control your cash so you have small bills available in your front pockets and don't have to flash your entire money belt just to buy a bottle of water.

Some follow basic precautions and go have an adventure!

The other posters have given good tips. To answer your specific questions, I always use hotel safes when I travel to keep my passport, one credit card, and anything else valuable (e.g., extra cash, jewelry) secure.

Pickpockets in Europe are skilled, but either a neck pouch or a money belt should be a reasonable deterrent. There is also what's called a "bra stash" but you can't fit very much into these (just some money and a credit card).

As to jewelry, I think it's up to you. Despite the warnings, I have never heard many reports of people having their jewelry stolen while wearing it. Perhaps if you leave it lying around your room in plain sight that would be a different story. But pickpockets are interested primarily in money and they don't want to draw attention to themselves. Hence, they go after your wallet (in your pockets or purse) but they are not armed and won't "mug" you for your valuables.

Also, Most European women wear fine jewelry, so I hardly think wearing yours (within reason) will make you stand out as a tourist!

My rule of thumb is this: If I would be devastated to lose a particular piece of jewelry (an heirloom or piece with special significant), I would leave it at home. Otherwise, take it and enjoy wearing it.

We never travel with good jewelry-this includes watches. Don't want to spend a moment worrying about it and we do not want to attract any thieves. We never travel with shiney new luggage either. Our old mismatched bags are very good and they do the trick.

:confused: Really?? Get real, I would say the chance to get robbed in Disney World is about the same as in Italy. Can happen anywhere, professional pickpockets look for crowds of unsuspecting tourists.

Getting pick pocketed in Rome is a lot higher than in Disney World. I speak from experiance.

I love the inside pockets that have a loop for your belt. I also pin it inside. The advantage of this is you do not have to concentrate on keeping your money safe. You just know it is. Money belts work too, but we found them warmer as they are around your waist where your clothes are tight.

I also swear by Tilley pants with the hidden pocket that is easily accessible by you but not by thieves. This is where I put one debit or credit card and the day's small cash.

We split our money up into multiple pockets so that if we get pick-pocketed, they don't get everything. We rely pretty heavily on ATMs so that we're never carrying around more than the equivalent of $100 or $200 max.

I'm careful with my purse, but no more so than at home. I carry it in front of me, holding it in hand rather than letting it hang loose. Truthfully, I do that at home too. I do NOT keep my money in my purse. You can buy a purse with a steel cable in the strap so that it can't be slashed -- try www.magellans.com to find one. I bought one, but seldom use it. I like my other purses better.

Thanks for the link to magellans. I looked at all the videos of the purses. I don't want a back pack - too uncomfortable. The City Safe 200 Shoulder Bag seems to be the best bet. Steel reinforced strap with two side pockets for a water bottle and a compact umbrella. I can wear it across my body, not just on my shoulder. I think it will hold my Kodak Easyshare camera about 3" x 3" and my photocopied materials for the day's sights. I bought a FoxFire fishing vest with many pockets -- some zippered and some velcroed. The best pocket is inside the vest with a zipper. And I have one of those passport neck things, but it is not steel reinforced. I also have a money belt. I like that idea of splitting up your money. I think I am good to go. Can you think of anything else?

We have been with people who were robbed in Spain. The gypsies have a few new ways of distraction such as holding a newspaper to your face while they take everything else. There are also plenty of experienced purse/wallet snatchers. Precausion is necessary. Saying that, we have never personally had a problem. First, I wear a purse across my body and keep a hand on it all the time. We also use trqavelers waist belts (the kind that fit under your clothing). I wear it so that it is tucked into my pants. I don't trust the neck type because if you are just wearing a top with no collar, it can easily be seen.

We always carry a copy of our passports with us and leave the original in the hotel/cruise ship safe. As for jewelry, I leave all except for a silver wedding band, which is fake, in the safe.

If you don't tempt people, you usually remain safe.

A friend of ours was in Barcelona changing money at a currency exchange shop. Apparently either someone was watching, or they were tipped off. Even though he put the money in a very safe place, it wasn't safe enough.

Always be aware of your surroundings.

A friend of ours was in Barcelona changing money at a currency exchange shop. Apparently either someone was watching, or they were tipped off. Even though he put the money in a very safe place, it wasn't safe enough.

Always be aware of your surroundings.

Currency exchanges are a tip-off anywhere in the world. Almost everyone making use of their services is a tourist - for a thief, it's a little like shooting fish in a barrel.

I didn't find any of our stops in Italy or any of the ports I visited during our European whirlwind not safe. Follow some simple common sense practices and I think you should be good.

1) Put valuables like passport and money in a safe body purse etc. when out and about.

2) Be very aware of surroundings at all times. The opportunistic theifs will always target the chumps. One can enjoy all the splendor of Europe without looking like a chump and becoming a victim.

I'd not do stupid things like take all my money and passport with me everywhere. I'd leave all my valuable stuff like jewerly at home, passport in the safe and just carry a few CC, and the daily cash I need out every day.

What is the purpose of expensive jewelry on vacation? To show you are rich and ready to be a chump on vacation?

This is our first cruise to Italy, and I have heard that you have to be very careful to avoid theft.

What is the safest way to carry your Passport and money? I bought the little pockets you wear around your neck, but my husband thinks it might be safer to have one around your middle.

Last night, friends told me that, when staying in a hotel (which we will do for a few days in Venice), you can leave your valuables (including Passport) in the hotel safe. Has anyone ever done this? We do that when on the Ship.

Also, my husband thinks I should not wear my expensive jewellery while walking around the countryside, but I don't want to leave it at home.

Thank you

Lyntony

Why would one have expensive jewelry if one cannot wear it outside of your house?? My DW has several htousand dollars worth of jewelry and takes her "show" pieces along for formal nights. As long as it is insured it is probably safer with you than leaving it at home. Rider insurance on your homeowners policy for jewelry that covers theft, loss or lost gemstones is very inexpensive.

Tourists are easy marks, so just be cautious. We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and spent four days in Rome.

I was super aware of our surroundings at all times. It is typically the very crowded areas that you need to be concerned with. Buses, crowds in front of Trevi fountain, Las Ramblas in Barcelona, etc.

I was pro-active before I went to Europe. I purchased a Pac Safe wallet for my hubby and a purse for myself on Amazon. I really like the purse, it has great features and I carried it across my front and kept my hand on it whenever I was in a crowd. I nicknamed it, "Fort Knox" because it has velcro and zippers and a reinforced steel mesh bottom. Sounds ugly, but really it was just perfect. I liked that I could keep a bottle of water on the side, too. Hubby liked the wallet with the chain, too. Look at their website.

We met 2 people on our cruise that had been pick pocketed. One man was wearing cargo shorts, his wallet was in a pocket that had 2 buttons! He noticed his wallet was missing after leaving Trevi Fountain. THINK CROWDS.

The other person was at Las Ramblas in Barcelona when his wallet was snatched. He never felt a thing. Again, it is very crowded in those areas, people bump up against you, etc.

Last year in St. Petersburg, women with babies in strollers were supposedly the ones to watch out for. There were even signs posted in Copenhagen "High Risk for Pick Pockets", and our tour guide continually reminded us to be aware.

Just use common sense. As far as using the safe in hotels, we did, and had no problems.

Personally, I don't take my nice jewelry with me when I travel. I lock it up in our safe at home or safety deposit box. I like to travel light and keep it simple. Why be a target?

What is the purpose of expensive jewelry on vacation? To show you are rich and ready to be a chump on vacation?

Is it necessary to call names? :rolleyes:

I do not wear flashy jewelry nor do I go around dripping in diamonds, but if I want to wear my heavy gold bracelet or nice watch -- as I always do -- while I'm ashore, I really see no reason why I shouldn't.

I have read these boards and other travel sites for well on 6 years now and reports of anyone having their jewelry stolen while sightseeing are pretty scarce.

Anyone out there had their jewelry stolen while wearing it out and about? I'd like to hear about it if you have.

I would not take that fishing vest. It would surely be a "bulls-eye" on your back for pickpockets. Think about it - how many men/women do you see walking around town in a fishing vest? Maybe the occasional professional photographer doing a shoot, but other than that, I think never.

If you really want to wear your valuables on your body, check out the offerings from Scottevest (the website is "the name"dot com). Vests, jackets, hoodies, and more, all with multiple hidden pockets.

I never ever carry a purse, that way I never have to worry. I leave everything valuable on the ship, bring some euros and one credit card in a bra stash, and possibly a backpack for umbrellas and a jacket and a water bottle. Why offer anyone the opportunity? Figure out the very minimum you need and only bring that with you. In fact that's what I do at hoime, too!

Archived