Private guide recommendations for Copenhagen

cds49

Does anyone have any recommendations for privates guides in Copenhagen? We are sailing on teh Marina from Copenhagen to Stockholm on 11Jun11. We expect to arrive a couple days early.

http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

He's got regularly scheduled "group" tours...but may also do some private tours if he has time...

Does anyone have any recommendations for privates guides in Copenhagen? We are sailing on teh Marina from Copenhagen to Stockholm on 11Jun11. We expect to arrive a couple days early.

We are on this cruise also. There is a roll call started. We had some good friends just return from this itinerary a few weeks ago and after talking with them and a lot of research, it seems like Copenhagen will be easy to do on our own. We are arriving one day early. Hope to see you on our roll call!

Judy:)

There is a HOHO bus that stops right at the dock and a good way to see most of the sites.

Also the #26 bus is a good way to get around.

If you are staying near the center of town you can walk to most places

My first visit to Copenhagen was with my sister in July 1970 on our first ever trip to Europe (non-cruise). My last was in August, when we left INSIGNIA.

On all of our visits to Copenhagen (at least 5-6) I have never felt the need for a guide. It's a relatively small city and just about anyone you meet speaks excellent English. If you were only in port for one day I'd agree that a guide could be a good investment, but if you are there for a few days you should be able to do fine on your own.

One trip I can recommend is to Kronborg, Hamlet's castle at Helsingor -- easily visited by train from CPH.

Lyn's suggestion of the HOHO bus is also excellent, although I've never used it there. (The bus didn't exist on our first trips and so we've never used it.)

On our recent visit a Danish friend took us to the Open Air Museum which is in the outskirts of CPH. I wouldn't know how to advise you to go since we went by car, but if you can get there it's well worth a visit. We took two guided tours which were particularly good. http://www.natmus.dk/sw20384.asp

I guess I may need to extrapolate...

I also agree that Copenhagen is an easy city to navigate on one's own...The central town is fairly compact and most sites are within easy walking distance of each other...and from the dock where MOST ships dock...

I generally do Copenhagen on my own...of course, I have been to the town several times and know it quite well...

HOWEVER, I did recognize that the OP was inquiring specifically about guides...I recognize that despite the ease with which many tour foreign cities, some people like to have the insight of a local guide when visiting someplace new and strange to them...For many, money is not an issue...and not even the logistics of finding places...guide books and pages pulled off the internet can only explain so much...

Having a local guide is like having a local friend, a teacher and a walking, talking guide book...Some people prefer it no matter what...

Now, the first time I visited Copenhagen, I was there for several days,...While preparing for the trip, I read somewhere about the guided tours Richard Karpen gave two or three times a week at Rosenborg Castle...and the price was not much at all...We decided that, rather than just walking through the castle on our own, we would visit with Richard...

This was one of his "open" scheduled tours...We met at the front of the Castle...the whole group had maybe 10-12 people...We paid for the entrance fee and for Richard's tour...We thought Richard was outstanding...He really gave us some insight to the Castle, to Copenhagen and to Denmark that we never could have gotten on our own...

Unfortunately, this tour was on the day before we boarded our ship, so we didn't have the time to do any of his other tours...

So, for a first time visitor to Copenhagen, if one wanted to get some orientation and added commentary, I would recommend, at a minimum, joining Richard for one of his scheduled tours...it's not much of a cost...I would also recommend taking a Canal Boat tour...

The OP apparently has at least a couple of days in Copenhagen...and apparently has a desire to have a guide for at least part of it...I would recommend checking with Richard to see what works into his and their schedules...and also to do the Canal boats...That should leave lots of time to, say, tour the Glyptotek, stroll the Stroget, visit Tivoli (if they don't mind crowds and noise) and eat and drink at Nyhavn on their own...

You're right, of course. But it's also possible that someone THINKS a guide is necessary when in a place where it actually might not be as necessary as it might be elsewhere. And especially if we don't have names to give, maybe we want to let people know that a good visit can be had without one.

I don't think any of us who said "you don't need a guide" meant to criticize the question. When we were in Denmark last month our Danish hostess arranged for private tours at every place she took us (except for Fredericksborg where they have audio guides) and they certainly did enhance the experience.

When we are in a city for a few days, we factor in "getting lost" time ... but that's not time we want to waste when we only have one day.

I guess I may need to extrapolate...

I also agree that Copenhagen is an easy city to navigate on one's own...The central town is fairly compact and most sites are within easy walking distance of each other...and from the dock where MOST ships dock...

I generally do Copenhagen on my own...of course, I have been to the town several times and know it quite well...

HOWEVER, I did recognize that the OP was inquiring specifically about guides...I recognize that despite the ease with which many tour foreign cities, some people like to have the insight of a local guide when visiting someplace new and strange to them...For many, money is not an issue...and not even the logistics of finding places...guide books and pages pulled off the internet can only explain so much...

Having a local guide is like having a local friend, a teacher and a walking, talking guide book...Some people prefer it no matter what...

Now, the first time I visited Copenhagen, I was there for several days,...While preparing for the trip, I read somewhere about the guided tours Richard Karpen gave two or three times a week at Rosenborg Castle...and the price was not much at all...We decided that, rather than just walking through the castle on our own, we would visit with Richard...

This was one of his "open" scheduled tours...We met at the front of the Castle...the whole group had maybe 10-12 people...We paid for the entrance fee and for Richard's tour...We thought Richard was outstanding...He really gave us some insight to the Castle, to Copenhagen and to Denmark that we never could have gotten on our own...

Unfortunately, this tour was on the day before we boarded our ship, so we didn't have the time to do any of his other tours...

So, for a first time visitor to Copenhagen, if one wanted to get some orientation and added commentary, I would recommend, at a minimum, joining Richard for one of his scheduled tours...it's not much of a cost...I would also recommend taking a Canal Boat tour...

The OP apparently has at least a couple of days in Copenhagen...and apparently has a desire to have a guide for at least part of it...I would recommend checking with Richard to see what works into his and their schedules...and also to do the Canal boats...That should leave lots of time to, say, tour the Glyptotek, stroll the Stroget, visit Tivoli (if they don't mind crowds and noise) and eat and drink at Nyhavn on their own...

Great advice! I typed up a list of places/things to do while in Copenhagen and I had Richard Karpen's 90 minute walking tour down. It starts at 10:30 and it says no reservations required, just show up. On our O cruise last spring, at some ports we took private tours, some we used the HOHO and some we just walked around and enjoyed the port on our own. It just depends on the port. Steve, what do you think about the following list I typed up for us in Copenhagen? Canal tour-Little Mermaid statue-Hans Christian Andersen statue-Round Tower-Tivoli (Friday night)-Stroget-have a hot dog on the street :D- Cafe Norden - the guys want to go to the Carlsburg Brewery-have a danish-:D-Roisenborg Castle-Danish Resistance

Museum-National Museum-view from Our Savior's Church

Thanks!

Judy:)

...We are arriving one day early...

...Richard Karpen's 90 minute walking tour... Canal tour-Little Mermaid statue-Hans Christian Andersen statue-Round Tower-Tivoli (Friday night)-Stroget-have a hot dog on the street :D- Cafe Norden - the guys want to go to the Carlsburg Brewery-have a danish-:D-Roisenborg Castle-Danish Resistance Museum-National Museum-view from Our Savior's Church

Judy, that's a pretty aggressive itinerary...especially if you are only flying in a day ahead...You may find yourselves quite tired and jet-lagged...

That said, I think the Canal Boat Tour is a must...it is a really memorable way to see Copenhagen...Stroget is just such a cool walking/shopping street...You'll find more shawarma/kebab/felafel places than hot dogs, though...and lots of ice cream places...Rosenborg Castle is a must...I would make sure you fit in a visit to Nyhavn somewhere in there (not sure if it shows up on Richard's itinerary)...I took some of my best photos at Nyhavn...it's just such a cool street--with a boat harbor running down the center and lots of bars/restaurants flanking the sides--very colorful...We love the Glyptotek Museum:

http://www.glyptoteket.dk/?frames=yes&language=en

...surprisingly one of the better art museums we've been to...

Are you sure you don't want to extend that pre-cruise stay?

THE little mermaid statue is on loan to the world fair in China.

Dont bother to go there as all you can see is a faux statue and a lot of dissapointed tourists Dont know when it will be returned.

little-mermaid-large.jpg?w=497&h=372

When we were last in Copenhagen (the Regatta, July of '07) the little mermaid statue was at "our" stop for the Harbor Tour, something like forty paces from the ship

www.Copenhagentours.net

A Marvelous, inexpensive way to see the city, and there were several times when we "beat the busses" to our destinations. ;)

Judy, that's a pretty aggressive itinerary...especially if you are only flying in a day ahead...You may find yourselves quite tired and jet-lagged...

That said, I think the Canal Boat Tour is a must...it is a really memorable way to see Copenhagen...Stroget is just such a cool walking/shopping street...You'll find more shawarma/kebab/felafel places than hot dogs, though...and lots of ice cream places...Rosenborg Castle is a must...I would make sure you fit in a visit to Nyhavn somewhere in there (not sure if it shows up on Richard's itinerary)...I took some of my best photos at Nyhavn...it's just such a cool street--with a boat harbor running down the center and lots of bars/restaurants flanking the sides--very colorful...We love the Glyptotek Museum:

http://www.glyptoteket.dk/?frames=yes&language=en

...surprisingly one of the better art museums we've been to...

Are you sure you don't want to extend that pre-cruise stay?

We are flying in two days early. I wasn't planning on doing too much the day we arrive. We will probably check in at the hotel and take a short nap and then possibly just do the canal tour or something near our hotel. We can start early the next morning and that will give us a full day and a night at Tivoli. Thank you for the other suggestions. Oh, yes, I did plan to see the Nyhavn area, also.

We are flying in two days early. I wasn't planning on doing too much the day we arrive. We will probably check in at the hotel and take a short nap and then possibly just do the canal tour or something near our hotel. We can start early the next morning and that will give us a full day and a night at Tivoli. Thank you for the other suggestions. Oh, yes, I did plan to see the Nyhavn area, also.

Ooops! I did say one day earlier on my previous post. I meant one full day. I wasn't counting the day we arrived because it will really only be a half day and we will be tired, too. Sorry.

• 7 months later...

I would recomend the Deergarden at Klampenborg, train runs out there in 20min.take a

horse carriage trough the woods and if you have time visit the worlds oldest amusement

park 420years old(much better than Tivoli) if you have time bring your bathing suit and

walk across the beach road and you`ll have the wonderfull beach of Bellevue, I know to

do this you need fine weather and that`s what we have right now here in CPH, the warmest Easter in the last 8 years.

Archived