OMG..The house is swaying just like the ship!

Cool Waters

WOW, I just got off the Pride today and I get home and the house is swaying back and forth just like the ship :eek:. The hubby has walked right smack dab into two walls :D and I almost fell completely out of my stand-up shower:mad:! WTH is going on?? Do I need to see my doc in the morning :rolleyes:?? I experienced absolutely NO seasickness but OMG...I can't keep my balance. People are going to think we are drunks! And to top it all off.....I was driving home and could not for the life of me figure out what side of the road was the correct side :confused:. This is b/c we went to Nassau and they drive on the opposite side, so coming back home was quite the challenge :p!

Right there with you. I got off the Freedom yesterday and have been dealing with my sea legs ever since. I'm ready for them to go away because I have a lot to do and have felt like doing nothing for the last day and a half because I feel so "off" every time I stand up.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise and that you are back to feeling normal soon.

WOW, I just got off the Pride today and I get home and the house is swaying back and forth just like the ship :eek:. The hubby has walked right smack dab into two walls :D and I almost fell completely out of my stand-up shower:mad:! WTH is going on?? Do I need to see my doc in the morning :rolleyes:?? I experienced absolutely NO seasickness but OMG...I can't keep my balance. People are going to think we are drunks! And to top it all off.....I was driving home and could not for the life of me figure out what side of the road was the correct side :confused:. This is b/c we went to Nassau and they drive on the opposite side, so coming back home was quite the challenge :p!

Don't bother your doctor, this is normal! Our first cruise back in 1992 was on Disney's Big Red Boat. I experienced the exact same thing for about a week after the cruise! Makes you feel like you'll never walk straight again, but it does subside eventually! Just be careful when you walk!!

Just give it some time. Your inner ear is very advanced...it "reset" itself to compensate for the movement of the ship. Now that the movement is gone, it needs to recalibrate itself.

Happens to me after every cruise. Usually last 3 days and my kids think it's hysterical when they catch me "swaying".

Gina

I know exactly how you feel !

The airport in Miami was swaying like crazy after my last cruise and the straw market in Nassau (on a cement pier) make me seasick it was rocking so bad !

Finally, everything settled down as the seas calmed down after a few days in my house...

Can't wait for the next time !

I "heard" that folks like my wife and I who tend not to get seasick, even a little are more likely/prone to experience "sea legs" once back from a cruise. My experience has been minimal, but my wife seems to get hit much harder, more like whats described here with the "sea legs" affliction.

We certainly prefer the remedy of additional cruising!!

Just give it some time. Your inner ear is very advanced...it "reset" itself to compensate for the movement of the ship. Now that the movement is gone, it needs to recalibrate itself.

Happens to me after every cruise. Usually last 3 days and my kids think it's hysterical when they catch me "swaying".

Gina

So very true, Gina.

Unless its the very rare mal de debarkment, these symptons should subside. I get them also, and I'm never seasick having grown up on the water practically. From Wikepedia, I think:

In MdDS, the symptoms persist for more than a month, possibly for many years, and sometimes do not resolve at all. This differs from the very common condition of "land sickness" that most people feel for a short time after a motion event such as a boat cruise, aircraft ride, or even a treadmill routine.

It's called 'mal de debarkment' and it's totally normal.

Have no fear... it goes away in a few days... maybe as long as a week...

:)

OK, question - Does it affect driving too? Not in the way OP described by driving on the other side because that's how they drove in a port. But the swaying back and forth while walking, would it/could it affect your driving? I don't want to scare the crap out of my kids the next day while driving them to school! LOL

WOW, I just got off the Pride today and I get home and the house is swaying back and forth just like the ship :eek:.

We got back a week before you and had the fun of riding Hurricane Earl's 20ft leftovers. The Atlantic often has larger swells than the Caribbean so your port (and the weather) probably forced your body to adjust more to the ship movement.

It's called 'mal de debarkment' and it's totally normal.

Have no fear... it goes away in a few days... maybe as long as a week...

:)

Please stop confusing sealegs with Mal de Debarquement. Mal de Debarquement is an illness that is diagnosed when "sealegs" don't go away after an extended period of time (usually two weeks or more). It is NOT perfectly normal.

Only you will know if you are unsafe to be driving. Most people with the actual illness of Mal de Debarquement are fine to drive, and driving or riding in a car makes nearly everyone with this problem feel a relief from their symptoms. That being said, a feeling of disequillibrium can effect your depth perception and your being aware of the moving things around you, all things that could certainly make driving unsafe and difficult.

Archived