Dining Special Needs - Just thought of something!

I decided to request a "lower sodium" diet from special needs. (So paranoid about swelling! My last cruise on RC in 2004 I ended up swelling BAD!)

I don't have to have low sodium (although I do have high blood pressure so it sure doesn't hurt - and I don't salt my food at home - so my body might go into shock! :eek:) so I am not terribly worried about eating at WJ a time or two etc ... but I was told I could only get special meals in the MDR. What if I really needed low/no salt all the time? What would I do for lunch on port days?

Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do?

OMG, I have a similar problem.

I really needed to go on a cruise ( well I did not really need t, but really wanted to ), as I was afraid of missing cruising. I really did after my last cruise.

However I could not afford it, so I asked Royal what they could do about it, and to my surprise they gave me a free cruise. Anything thing like this is well worth asking for, good luck with your request. :D

I decided to request a "lower sodium" diet from special needs. (So paranoid about swelling! My last cruise on RC in 2004 I ended up swelling BAD!)

I don't have to have low sodium (although I do have high blood pressure so it sure doesn't hurt - and I don't salt my food at home - so my body might go into shock! :eek:) so I am not terribly worried about eating at WJ a time or two etc ... but I was told I could only get special meals in the MDR. What if I really needed low/no salt all the time? What would I do for lunch on port days?

I really needed to go on a cruise ( well I did not really need t, but really wanted to ), as I was afraid of missing cruising. I really did after my last cruise.

However I could not afford it, so I asked Royal what they could do about it, and to my surprise they gave me a free cruise. Anything thing like this is well worth asking for, good luck with your request. :D

Cruise #100? #150? #200? Come clean!

RCCL gave you a cruise free because you really wanted to go on a cruise? Why am I finding that hard to believe.

There are others ways to deal with this without dining in the MDR and still have low sodium or no sodium. Such as ordering room service and requesting low sodium. Or just be careful in what you choose from the buffet. The Grill station is always good choice to have something prepared while you wait and watch to make certain no salt is added. Than combine it with lettuce and fresh vegetables from the salad bar. Works for me.

Oh my. Woken up with an evil sense of humour this morning have we?

ME Evil No.....but at least you recognise it as a sense of humour, some people just take things to seriously on these pages, I try to keep smiling. It is practice for when I am actually cruising :D

Oh my. Woken up with an evil sense of humour this morning have we?

ME Evil No.....but at least you recognise it as a sense of humour, some people just take things to seriously on these pages, I try to keep smiling. It is practice for when I am actually cruising :D

Ok, you like to be funny. :D I do too ... but I was asking a legit question. I don't think you were trying to make fun of me, but it kind of came across that way.

I have the same problem, but unlike you, I know I am going to come home with my feet and hands swollen and in three or four days I will be back to normal. I know I could have plain salad as most of the meats are salted. The burgers from the grill might be OK, but I think they might have salt in them.

Regular food at the buffet is salted so it tastes better. It is very difficult to find anything with no salt or low salt at the buffet other than salad veggies and fruit. Even desserts usually have salt in them.

Also, keep in mind alcohol will make you swell too. I'm sure you will be able to find things if you really try, and I give you a lot of credit for it. It's just worth it to me to be that worried about everything on my vacation. I guess I am too lazy, lol. Good luck though!

There are others ways to deal with this without dining in the MDR and still have low sodium or no sodium. Such as ordering room service and requesting low sodium. Or just be careful in what you choose from the buffet. The Grill station is always good choice to have something prepared while you wait and watch to make certain no salt is added. Than combine it with lettuce and fresh vegetables from the salad bar. Works for me.

They have a made to order grill station? I didn't know that! (I also didn't know I could request it from room service too)

THANKS for all the great tips! :D

It is called a water pill.

I mentioned the swelling to my Dr. before my last cruise because I can't take a lot of over the counter stuff. Perscription for water pill / diuretic. Problem solve last cruise the only swelling was from too much walking.

Can't belive I just said that, cause I am not a pill person. But one of my previous cruises it was so bad I wore flip flops with my cocktail dress cause my shoes would not fit. I thought the skin was going to split. It was worse then being pregnant.

High blood pressure is serious as you know. I am on a mandatory low sodium diet, 2000mg a day. Here is what I do. When you eat in the dining room you can ask for a low sodium diet ahead of time for dinner. Email the cruise line special needs section and then when you get on the ship see the maitre' d. After that, each night the head waiter will show you the next night's menu and you can choose a meal and it will be made low sodium for you. Within reason they can make you most anything except certain soups and appetizers with sauce.

Throughout the day I try to make really good choices.

At breakfast you can ask for plain eggs- most yogurt are low in sodium , just check the package, fruit is great. English muffins usually have only 220 mg of sodium on average. I bring my own little squeezable no salt peanut butter for my english muffin and my own packs of low sodium oatmeal. The salad bar is great just use oil and vinegar for dressing most dressings are loaded with salt. You can't go wrong with plain steak and a baked potato. You can use olive oil instead of butter on your potato and bread.

I have done so well with my low sodium diet I don't need to take a diuretic daily anymore only if my weight goes up 2 pounds a day. I have a travel scale I use on the cruise to keep track.

Hope this helps and thanks for sharing you reminded me to email in my special diet request.

I have the same problem, but unlike you, I know I am going to come home with my feet and hands swollen and in three or four days I will be back to normal. I know I could have plain salad as most of the meats are salted. The burgers from the grill might be OK, but I think they might have salt in them.

Regular food at the buffet is salted so it tastes better. It is very difficult to find anything with no salt or low salt at the buffet other than salad veggies and fruit. Even desserts usually have salt in them.

Also, keep in mind alcohol will make you swell too. I'm sure you will be able to find things if you really try, and I give you a lot of credit for it. It's just worth it to me to be that worried about everything on my vacation. I guess I am too lazy, lol. Good luck though!

No, you aren't lazy - you just know what is important to you.

For me personally, I have a lot of health problems (including FMS and Lupus)and when I swell I SWELL ... plus I will be extending my vacation a few days after I get off the ship (which is probably not the greatest idea because after my cruise this past May I was so wiped out it 2 weeks to recover ... I had the BEST TIME though and can't wait to do it again!! :D)

Not trying to turn this into a "poor me" thread I am just trying to explain my circumstances. (I actually DO have to be worried and careful about things - even on vacation)

BTW, I will probably have 2 drinks max on the cruise (I take too many meds)

We got the low sodium diet on our last cruise and it was soooooo much better than the regular food! You just have to be careful when making choices in the WJ, etc. I usually go with salads and use oil and vinegar. Another poster was absolutely correct about the salad dressings.....loaded with sodium. We've learned to control that swelling. You can do it!

Hi Oscar the grouch sister.....I have the same problem as you.

Last cruise I ordered a low sodium diet and it did help a lot.

I still need to be very careful in the WJ!!!

Its very simple to call RC and ask them to add the low sodium diet, I didn't even contact special needs, just called C&A (Diamond) and it was added. It also shows on your conformation.

As long as your cruise is more than 2 weeks away, just call and have it added, otherwise you will need the special needs dept.

Archived