warning to those without a passport

jamieng

Had a passport since I was 12 yo. I'm 51 now.

For 6 years it was Polish passport. At the age of 18 I took my US citzenship test, passed it, applied for my US passport the same day.

Poland and US allows dual citizenship, so I have had 2 passports since then. Now that Poland is part of EU, I have US and EU passports.

Never had any issues when I traveled to over 60 countries. Used the US and EU passport, (depending which was better for that particular trip).

People, GET A FREAKING PASSPORT!

Have all my 4 old US passports, some with additional pages added for visas. It's fun to go through the old ones and see all the stamps, visas, etc. One is so thick with additional pages that it feels like a book. (I had to travel for work between 1999 and 2009).

Would not think about traveling internationally without one.

Those taking cruise vacations leaving and returning to the same port of embarkation can get by with just their birth certificate. However, I based my decision to finally get my passport on on thing. I asked myself what would I do if something happened during my cruise and I had to fly home.

My other incentive for getting my passport was that the cost was getting ready to go up.

I would recommend to anyone who does not have a passport to go ahead and get theirs just to relieve the stress and questioning of what you need or don't need to board a cruise ship or travel internationally.

No flames here. You are absolutely right.

I feel the same way about traveling without insurance, too. People play a dangerous game doing that, as well. I have 2 stories within the past week about that.

Thank you!

If you're just going to cruise you can get a passport card, about half the price of passport and is a valid document for "the closed loop cruises" to the Caribbean and Mexico. My family and I havealways used our BC and DL but I still broke down and got the passport cards just to be safe. I really didnt want to shell out $400 for 4 passport when I new we would never fly internationally, but $200 bucks I could live with.

Now I just want to use them......:(

I really hope you do get to use them....SOON!!! :)

Simple to do... Go thru Arizona...:)

Yikes, got enough troubles there we don't need any more!! :eek: ;)

I have only heard of Royal Caribbean requiring it and again, that varies from agent to agent at check in evidently.

If they required it, EVERY agent would ask for it. I have no idea why some ask, but "let it go this time"

Still waiting for someone to produce the requirement in writing. Not what you've heard on CC.

Use the Search tool with the words "marriage license birth certificate". You'll note that discussions relating to bridging documents go back at least to 2007.

While most people don't have a problem, the OP did everyone a service by reminding people that the potential exists to be denied boarding, (at least get hassled about boarding), if names on all identification documents do not agree with the name on the booking.

Discussions on CC are hardly fact.

I am sure lots will correct me.

First it does clearly states in your cruise documents that the name on Docs must match cruise docs.

Second if the price of a cruise on average say is $900 per person and a pass port is say $75 why not get one.

Third if you have a problem miss ship sick. You can get back home but it is very difficult.

Why all the concern with getting passport.

We live in Ontario and had some friends visit from Ohio. They came up and brought one of the daughters. She passed into Canada without showing passport but when tried to get back in at Detroit was not allowed entry. It took to days get get paper work from consulate in Toronto to allow her back in to US.

They had stated other customs people had let them pass before. While they learn ed that it is up to the person in front of you to allow or not allow you to travel.

Why take the risk for $75??

Discussions on CC are hardly fact.

< Back to Cruise Documents

s.gif

Cruise Documents

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page

s.gif

Q: Does the name on my reservation need to match the name on my passport? s.gifA: Yes. It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage/divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document of the name change. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

I called RCCL and spoke to Meghan and she said that if your name is different on ANY of the legal documents you provide than the marriage license/divorce decree, etc, are required to show the name change. They can deny you boarding although most agents can see that the other names and birthdates and such match, they could be required to produce this and if you don't have someone at home to fax it or you don't have a copy you could be denied boarding. She said they never want to deny anyone boarding and will do everything they can to assure all passengers can sail but it has happened on very few occasions.

We have to realize that not everyone knows about or reads cruise critic...probably less than 50% of the cruising population so if only 2 or 3% have ever been denied we may not hear much about it.

It is each person right to have a passport at this time but suppose you only plan on cruising so you don't have one...you get a great deal for a cruise that departs from other than the US, now you have to get one anyway. I would say if you can afford it, get them, if not, I wouldn't travel too far into the caribbean in case of emergency. Try getting help in certain foreign ports without one and you will have a problem...Belize for one will laugh at your birth certificate...

I am sure lots will correct me.

First it does clearly states in your cruise documents that the name on Docs must match cruise docs.

Second if the price of a cruise on average say is $900 per person and a pass port is say $75 why not get one.

Third if you have a problem miss ship sick. You can get back home but it is very difficult.

We live in Ontario and had some friends visit from Ohio. They came up and brought one of the daughters. She passed into Canada without showing passport but when tried to get back in at Detroit was not allowed entry. It took to days get get paper work from consulate in Toronto to allow her back in to US.

They had stated other customs people had let them pass before. While they learn ed that it is up to the person in front of you to allow or not allow you to travel.

Why take the risk for $75??

In the USA, passports are $135.

Passport cards are useless except for going back and forth to Canada from the US. You can't fly Internationally with them

I do wonder about what the foreign countries being visited think about a passport card. As far as I know the card was primarily intended for land based travel between the US and Canada or Mexico.

I think the passport card has only one official purpose: to get holders back into the US via land or sea. Any thing beyond that is up to the whims of other entities.

DW and I each have both the passport book and passport card. We carry the book when we visit any non-US port, as it's the only one that we can trust being accepted on foreign soil. We put the card in the room safe when we get on board and it stays there until we get off the ship, as insurance that we can still get back into the US if something happens to our books. I'm sure some people will think that's overkill, but never having to worry about any possible issues with our paperwork while we travel is worth the few bucks to us.

First, it's $135. As for why not get one, because it's $135. Per person. Adds up for a family.

Define "very difficult."

If you are going someplace that requires a passport, heck yes, get a passport. But that doesn't mean you must get one for some place where they aren't required.

Passport cards are useless except for going back and forth to Canada from the US. You can't fly Internationally with them

Sorry! Really, $135 that is a lot. Ours ar only $87. Mind you they are only good for 5 years, I think the USA are for 7.

Anyway point would be the same $135 for 5 or 7 years going on a cruise say every 2 years that would be maybe a $6000 investment.

Not sure what the problem is with getting a passport. It is the goverment that is forcing the issue!!!

Wrong! Passport Cards are also good for land travel to Mexico and it's also good for sea travel in the Caribbean.

It's $135 for a passport which is good for 10 freaking years. Get one! It's $13.50 per year, so a family of 4, all adults, will cost $54.00 per year.

What's the big issue? The bar bill is probably about 10 times that....

Some of you say you refuse to get a passport because it's too expensive for a family? Oh for crying out loud. A family cruise "isn't" expensive? How many stories have you seen on this very board of families where a child had an accident or was sick and they had to be medivac'd out? How many stories of families being "offloaded" because of a teen's bad behavior? How many of THOSE families were in a foreign port and had to get back home? Being in a foreign port without a passport is a PROBLEM. Fine - gamble with your situation - that's your choice. But being hostile to those of us who see having a valid passport as a logical and intelligent part of international travel is amazing. Hope you never find yourself in need of that passport that you find so unnecessary. And if you do, please don't whine about how mistreated you were by the cruise line, the port agent, the local government or the American Embassy. Because you were warned....

Wrong! Passport Cards are also good for land travel to Mexico and it's also good for sea travel in the Caribbean.

It's $135 for a passport which is good for 10 freaking years. Get one! It's $13.50 per year, so a family of 4, all adults, will cost $54.00 per year.

I just used Canada as an example. Works with cruise too, but no better than BC and license because you can't fly with it.

Why does everyone keep telling me to get a passport?

Define "very difficult."

The American customs officer would not let them back into the USA. It took two days and about $200 to get cleared up an allow a USA citizen back into the USA.

If you are going someplace that requires a passport, heck yes, get a passport. But that doesn't mean you must get one for some place where they aren't required

You need a passport to gain entry into the USA. By your statement any USA citizen needs a pass port when leaving the country.

My point was they did not need a pass port to enter Canada put American custom needed one.

So please pull your claws back in!!!!!!!!

Well said thank you!!

<sigh> These "Passport" vs "No Passport" threads just keep coming back like a bad case of a certain social disease.

Come on, folks ... we're not gonna change anyone's mind here. Let this horse die a natural death, and let's get on to something fun, like discussing an upcoming cruise ... or the new NFL season ... or quantum mechanics perhaps ... anything BUT this venemous back and forth.

Michael

Define "very difficult."

The American customs officer would not let them back into the USA. It took two days and about $200 to get cleared up an allow a USA citizen back into the USA.

Plus all the other expenses like hotel room, food.

I think this issue seems to be a hot button for some people. I just don't understand why it is. I have mine and know I will be able to go where I want when I want. It's worth the money to have that peace of mind.

It's a different perspective: if you're European or have lived or travelled there, it seems very sensible as countries aren't very far away from each other. If you've always lived in the U.S. and rarely go to Canada or take a cruise or an 8 hour plane ride to Spain, it seems a waste of money if you don't plan on using it more than once every few years.

On our last cruise, thought two of us where out exploring the ship.

Well when they got on board we found the answer to why.

She had her Birth Certificate, or so she thought.

It turned out to be one from the hospital but not notarized.

It had all the information, but not notarized.

After calling her sister, who had to drive to port.

Just to show her Birth Certificate with same parents.

The man behind the counter was VERY strict and told her right out.

If you get hurt, if you are late to the ship at port, you are F***ed.

They did let her on, but did not have too.

So saving what was $100 at the time, almost cost them over $1200 for the cruise.

I bet insurance does not cover this.

:rolleyes:

Some of you say you refuse to get a passport because it's too expensive for a family? Oh for crying out loud. A family cruise "isn't" expensive? How many stories have you seen on this very board of families where a child had an accident or was sick and they had to be medivac'd out? How many stories of families being "offloaded" because of a teen's bad behavior? How many of THOSE families were in a foreign port and had to get back home? Being in a foreign port without a passport is a PROBLEM. Fine - gamble with your situation - that's your choice. But being hostile to those of us who see having a valid passport as a logical and intelligent part of international travel is amazing. Hope you never find yourself in need of that passport that you find so unnecessary. And if you do, please don't whine about how mistreated you were by the cruise line, the port agent, the local government or the American Embassy. Because you were warned....

Good post....we are in the same corner. :)

Some day those with out passports are going to be stuck in a very sticky and expensive situation and be very sorry.

Can't count the number of times people have come back here to post their problem and then try to blame the cruise line or anyone else.

I have no idea why people here keep insisting that a U.S. passport is good for ten freaking years when so many cruiselines and foreign countries say that your passport has to be valid for at least six months after the day you plan to return to the U.S. Meaning that if you get a passport with an issue date of September 15, 2010 and an expiration date of September 14, 2020 and you want to take a two-month trip out of the U.S. leaving on January 20, 2020, you'll have to get a new passport before you leave. And you had better remember that when you book the trip in 2019.

When I got my first passport in 1975 (it was good for five years, not ten), nothing was said about it having to be valid for a certain amount of time after you planned to return to the U.S. I don't know when the six months thing started.

Archived