First Time Cruiser - Quick Questions

JJ21

Hi - I have been reading this board for the last few weeks. I love it! It is so helpful - I just want to thank you first of all.

We leave March 6th for the Valor -

I'm prone to seasickness - what is the liklihood that I will actually get sick on a ship of thise size. I plan on taking the non-drowsy dramamine the entire time to help. I have done this before on smaller - day cruises and it helps, but my head still feels wooshy.

Also, those of you out there with claustraphobia - do you feel that way on a ship? I'm concerned that I'll look out and just see this enormous ocean and feel a little trapped. Any people out there know what I'm talking about.

Again, I really appreciate all of your help. I'm looking forward to the trip so much more than I was before I read all this great stuff!!

You will have a blast. No way to know on the sea sickness becasue you can't predict how the seas will be. We cruise usually in March and I get car sick (just a quizzy feeling). I have never gotten sea sick. You will probably be fine. Usually the bigger the ship the less movement there is. Is your cabin mid-ship? People who experience sea sickness usually do much better mid ship and on the lowest level rooms.

If you find yourself feeling that way after the ship sails, buy the acupressure bands in the gift shop - my DH uses them on every cruise, swears by them. They were $15 a pair (you wear both) about 2 years ago. They are like wrist sweat bands, but thinner.

The pursers desk also carries dramamine-type pills for free, I think, but they can make you drowsy.

Good luck!

We just got off the Imagination on Monday - Miami - Key West - Cozumel...it was a rough ride. You Definitely felt it. We were all awakened the morning we arrived in Coz because the pitch was enough to roll us in our beds and we were on the lowest deck. I'd say be prepared for anything.

JJ - Patti's correct - the relative sea motion is completely weather dependent. The seas tend to be a little calmer in the Gulf and Caribbean. Here's a similar thread on the same topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=134196

I don't get claustraphobia - but I've felt the sense onboard is the opposite - at sea you can see forever (at least on deck). If you want claustraphobia hang out in your state room,

Thanks a lot for your help. We are mid-ship and on a low deck maybe even the bottom - I can't remember.

Oh well, I'm going to have fun no matter what and hopefully I'll be fine! Thanks again!:p

You shouldn't have a problem, especially where your cabin is located. However, if you are overly concerned about seasickness, my wife swears by the relief band. You wear it like a watch and it sends a slight electronic signal to your fingertips. My wife is a physician and has numerous alternatives at her disposal, but she says the relief band works the best for her (and she is very motion sensitive). It is also effective for air sickness.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Also, those of you out there with claustraphobia - do you feel that way on a ship? I'm concerned that I'll look out and just see this enormous ocean and feel a little trapped. Any people out there know what I'm talking about.

It's not an issue for me, but DH is very claustrophobic. However, he LOVES being on deck and looking out at the ocean, and particularly the uninterrupted skyline. Especially when you're up at the top of the ship and you can get the whole panoramic view.

However, a word of warning: our last cruise was a company cruise and therefore booked by DH's boss, and we wound up with an inside cabin. BAD experience for him. Hopefully you've already thought of that and didn't book inside!! ;)

Again, I really appreciate all of your help. I'm looking forward to the trip so much more than I was before I read all this great stuff!!

I am very claustrophobic. I almost break into a sweat when I get into any elevator! The ceilings onboard ship made me a little uncomfortable when I concentrated on them. As long as I ignored them - or tried to - it didn't seem to bother me. Was a little weird when I was in the cabin at night reading before I went to bed. Seemed like the ceiling was getting lower and lower - strange! The elevators were a little strange, but then I have a weirdness about elevators anyway, and the idea of being on one on a ship sort of compounded that. Solution? I used the elevators sparingly and mostly used the stairs.

Yes, I did feel trapped, and know exactly what you are talking about. As long as we were in port, I was fine. Got off the boat and hitting land made me feel more....um....free. However, our one day at sea (I was on a 4 night cruise) I did feel trapped and unable to escape. And on the side of the boat where there was only water just compounded that. A couple of things that helped me were: 1.) we never lost sight of land, so when on deck I would stay on the side of the ship with land in sight and that eased the feeling somewhat while on deck, 2.) inside was worse, but I would wander into things I had no particular interest in, just to keep my mind from focusing on the fact that I was on something I couldn't get off of. Granted, I did catch a cold the last day of the cruise (our sea day), so taking a nap during the afternoon and then getting to bed very early helped. (And then we docked the next morning)

As I've stated, I have almost clinical claustrophobia (is there such a thing???), and I've not met anyone who experiences claustrophobia as I do. Everyone is just a little different. I would say you can feel trapped, yes, but there are also things you can do and ways to help overcome those feelings, if you are willing to do so.

And yes, getting a room with at least an ocean view helps! I was originally booked in an inside cabin for budget reasons and was sweating that part of it, but Carnival upgraded me when I arrived.

Archived