Car rental Question for San Pedro Port

NANCYR2

The closest to the port is an Enterprise. I believe they open at 9 on Sundays when we get back into port. This is what we are doing after our cruise. I called them directly and booked because we are returning the car at the airport.

Was there a major upcharge because you were returning it to the airport and not the location of origin?

I think the charge was an extra 40.00 which is worth it to us. We need the car at 9am as soon as we get off the ship on the 10th, we need to get somewhere, so we did not want to waste time to go to the airport which is, I think, about 25-30 miles away. so the charge to pick up in san pedro and return it to the airport was worth it!

FYI, the "tier 1" rental companies usually do not charge a OW fee for cars picked up and dropped off in the greater LA metro area. Some of the major, low-cost companies (Enterprise, Budget, etc) may charge. Also often a specific office is independent and truly does incur a cost to retrieve a car and bring it back while other offices in the same chain are part of the main corporation and share a pool of vehicles. Lastly, sometimes there's a glut of cars that need to be redistributed and the OW fee is waived. Bottom line, shop around and the lowest rate plus a OW fee may be more expensive than a higher rate for exactly the same car if no add-on fees apply. (I don't have any business affiliation or loyalty to any of the car companies, if it sounds like I do). :)

Archived