Pros and cons to beach locations

luv2travel2beaches

We are cruising in Dec and want 2 nights pre-cruise on a beach near ft lauderdale port. The less we spend on a hotel, the more we have for our cruise, but we don't want to have a total dump either...but we aren't hard to please if some place is clean. So, we are looking at the different beach areas. What are the pros and cons of ft lauderdale beach, Hollywood beach, dania beach, ft lauderdale by the sea? We don't plan to rent a car unless we have to. Suggestions? Recommendations? Hotels to avoid? Thanks so much!

If you don't plan to rent a car, I would suggest Fort Lauderdale beach, anywhere south of Sunrise Blvd. It is close to the airport and really close to the port, so you won't have to pay a lot in taxi fare. Bahia Mar has rooms for $161. It is right across the street from the beach and is an easy walk to lots of bars and restaurants. Best Western Oceanside is several blocks further from everything (about a mile) but has rates starting at $119 for their 2 night stay promotional rate. It is a short walk to the beach, without crossing the street. The last time I checked reviews on tripadvisor they were fine. The trolley runs along this route.

You'll always spend more on the beach. Personally, I think it's worth it.

December is high season, everyone is down to see Nana for the holidays. Hannukah comes early this year (the 4th). You're going to pay top dollar, compared to July or Aug (some of the prices you'll see quoted.)

Another option would be to try for the Riverside Hotel. It's on the Intracoastal Waterway, so it has lovely water views. It's the only hotel on Las Olas Blvd, a wonderful shopping and dining district. I've been seeing some amazing deals.

If you just want inexpensive, there are a bazillion properties on 17th St. Chain hotels. Use the Sun Trolley to get to the beach.

The Westin Diplomat in Hollywood is a lovely resort, with beach access via trolley.

You'll always spend more on the beach. Personally, I think it's worth it.

December is high season, everyone is down to see Nana for the holidays. Hannukah comes early this year (the 4th). You're going to pay top dollar, compared to July or Aug (some of the prices you'll see quoted.)

Another option would be to try for the Riverside Hotel. It's on the Intracoastal Waterway, so it has lovely water views. It's the only hotel on Las Olas Blvd, a wonderful shopping and dining district. I've been seeing some amazing deals.

If you just want inexpensive, there are a bazillion properties on 17th St. Chain hotels. Use the Sun Trolley to get to the beach.

The Westin Diplomat in Hollywood is a lovely resort, with beach access via trolley.

Ditto.

Go to www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea or Hollywood Beach.

Archived