Brazilian Embassy, Washington Visas

BosoxI

icon7.gifGo to www.ABRIGGS.com

A Briggs is a passport & visa expeditor - they state that the 90 day rule was changed in January of 2010 - you can apply for your visa anytime - the application must be filed within 30 days of printing it out - it takes 10 to 12 business days to get the visa & your passport back - it costs $160 for the visa - $55 agency fee & $54 shipping Fed Ex - if you are applying for you & your spouse, you can ship both for $54. Call them at 1-800-

806-0581. They're very helpful.

Oh, the visa isn't activated until you enter Brazil.

Since she travels so much, has she tried to have a second passport issued? I know the State Dept will issue a second one under certain conditions (multiple visits that require different Visas/Going to certain countries (Israel/vs other middle Eastern countries) that having a stamp from one will cause issues with another/ etc. The second one is usually only good for 2 years. Several people I work with have them.

Sure hope consulate here is like the consulate in NYC, and the experience is like sitraveler's. I won't have airline info and cabin number until 3 or 4 weeks before our trip - but I think we'll at least give it a try once we make final payment on the cruise. All they can do is say no and send us back home, which isn't too far.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped off our paperwork and money orders on October 5th -- in and out the door in less than an hour -- and picked up our visas today, October 13th -- in and out the door in less than half an hour. No problems. The visas are good for 10 years.

The Consular Services office is about 2 blocks from Farragut North.

I dropped off our paperwork and money orders on October 5th -- in and out the door in less than an hour -- and picked up our visas today, October 13th -- in and out the door in less than half an hour. No problems. The visas are good for 10 years.

The Consular Services office is about 2 blocks from Farragut North.

Thanks for the update! I will try the same place in early November and I hope I have the same good results for myself and the wife.

Can I also bring documents for visas for another couple traveling with us? Will they charge some extra fees? What made your visit an hour long...just the lines? thanx

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish the story for any Washington area readers in need of a Brazilian visa. It was absolutely as easy as it could be. I have written a longer story on a Princess site, so I won't repeat it here. Everything went well including parking on the street. Visa was ready in a week and unlike other visas I've gotten, this one incorporates the second picture I provided. Very handsome visa Thanks for all your help

Thanks very much. We will be getting ours soon. If you're still following this thread, I just have one question, since I don't know where your review is posted, and if it will answer the question: The site says that travel information is required. Our cruise line is arranging airfare for us and generally they don't let you know actual flights until 45 days before travel. We'd like to apply for the VISA's earlier. Do you think they'll actually ask for air line info? Thanks.

Thanks very much. We will be getting ours soon. If you're still following this thread, I just have one question, since I don't know where your review is posted, and if it will answer the question: The site says that travel information is required. Our cruise line is arranging airfare for us and generally they don't let you know actual flights until 45 days before travel. We'd like to apply for the VISA's earlier. Do you think they'll actually ask for air line info? Thanks.

Roothy, I just read your post. The agent seemed very interested n seeing the plane ticket. We used our miles for a Delta flight and printed a one page receipt and a second page which included our seat assignments. The agent was studying the receipt and when I realized that it was confusing her, I directed her to the second page and that solved the problem. So, yes, in DC, they apparently want to see the ticket. I should also say that everything was in my wife's name regarding the airfare. My name did not appear on the ticket itself, strangely, and that was a bit of a concern. Fortunately, it was not a problem. At the end of the very short session, I remarked how easy the process was and the agen responded "That's because you had everything I needed". Phew. Do a search on CC for "Brazilian Visas" and you'll find much more info from as far back as February of this year. Good luck

I am reading these post out of order, so please excuse me. I see your question on time frames. We drove up on a Monday and I believe the visa would be ready on following Wednesday, about 7 working days. A Brazilian friend had previously checked and was told 10 days. I didn't pursue it any further, as 8 days fit into my wife's work schedule. Actually, we waltzed in on the day of application, but on the day of pickup, the line was longer--one person was ahead of my wife and that delayed us all of 10 minutes. Be sure you have TWO pictures, as one will wind up in your passport. Some sites say only one is necessary, don't take a chance. Oh, yes, having lived in and around DC for 42 years, I am used to parking meters malfunctioning. Mine did so I stood watch as my wife ran into the consulate. Glad I did, as there was the meter cop ticketing 2 spaces up. Coming from SS, I know this is no surprise to you. Other ?, feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...

Well, I don't know if anyone will read this, but just thought I'd report back. We drove downtown last Friday about 11 AM. We found a parking space in the next block. We took a number and it was about 3 minutes before it was our turn. The only document requested was our airline info from the cruise line. Even though Oceania gave us the impression our plane reservations would be available much closer to the cruise date, that was not the case, so airline info was not a problem. We only needed 1 photo each, though the info on the web site said to bring 2. We were out of there in about 20 minutes and the visas will be ready tomorrow. Easy - although the photo requirements are very specific, so if you're doing your own photos, beware!

• 5 weeks later...

I think that's what the consulate states in the "visa" section, but I'm not positive. Personally, I would wait until you have airline information before you go. The process is fairly fast and easy, so I don't think there's any reason to worry about it for now.

Don't know if you're flying into Argentina, but if so, be aware that you will be hit with a fee of (I think) $140 per person if you land at the international airport in Buenos Aires. That only applies to entering there, not departing.

Archived