Galveston Hotels and transportation

menmoo

I am tyaking a cruise out of Galveston. I am flying into Houston Hobby. I am looking for a hotel that has free transportation to/from the airport and the cruise lines. Or the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and the cruise lines. Any help would be appreciated:)

No Galveston hotels have shuttles, free or not from either airport in Houston. you will have to do a van, or shuttle that you pay for. Hobby is the closest to Galveston at least.

this thread will probably get moved to gulf ports departures, if you cant find it later, look there.

Since you dont need free cruise parking, lots of hotels to choose from, and you can even use one of the bargain sites like hotwire. Galveston is so small, you cant get one very far from the port. Harbor House is next to the port. Holiday Inn, both of them have free shuttles to the port, so you wouldnt have to pay for a taxi.

We got Quality Inn and Suites last January for only $45 booking direct ... I usually book direct, the prices are so good.

If no one can recommend a Hobby-area hotel that provides free transportation (and I'm going to guess that none do -- it is still a bit of a drive), then, depending on the size of your party, I'd suggest hiring a Town Car.

For the cost that was less than taking the Carnival bus, we hired a Town Car from a local limo company. So not only was it cheaper (including the tip), but it came and picked us up when we requested it and dropped us off at the curb at the port.

I don't remember the name of the limo company, but do an internet search for something like the "Houson Limousine Association" and you'll get a contact list of dozens of limo companies. They'll try to upsell you, but if you send a dozen requests for a quote (specifying that you're going from a hotel near Hobby to Galveston), you'll get a competitive quote.

I think what made this economical for us was that it was the cost of one Town Car vs. the cost of bus tickets for a family of four.

Reading Firefly's response, I guess it's not clear exactly what your plan is. I assumed you were going to fly to Houston Hobby, stay at a nearby hotel for the night, then you were looking for transportation down to Galveston the next day.

Alternatively, it may be that you're flying into Hobby and looking for immediate transportation to a hotel in Galveston for that night, then you're looking for transportation the next day to the port.

You may want to clarify in a response in case anyone has a more useful suggestion.

I am flying into Houston Hobby on Friday, I was looking for ground transportation to Galveston where I am going to spend a couple of nights before going on the cruise Sunday. After the cruise I am going to spend the night in a Galveston Hotel and need transportation back to Hou the next day. So far I cant find any hotels with a shuttle to the airport. Thanks

No Galveston hotels have shuttles, free or not from either airport in Houston. you will have to do a van, or shuttle that you pay for. Hobby is the closest to Galveston at least.

I am flying into Houston Hobby on Friday, I was looking for ground transportation to Galveston where I am going to spend a couple of nights before going on the cruise Sunday. After the cruise I am going to spend the night in a Galveston Hotel and need transportation back to Hou the next day. So far I cant find any hotels with a shuttle to the airport. Thanks

I would stay at a hotel on the seawall so you are close to the beach, such as it is. At least 3 miles long, but they are still trucking in more sand after Ike, so sand is a bit sparse.

I would stay at a hotel on the seawall so you are close to the beach, such as it is. At least 3 miles long, but they are still trucking in more sand after Ike, so sand is a bit sparse.

?????????????? I have been there several times since Ike. I was there for a week in June. There is no lack of sand. We went to the sandy beach everyday. The only problem was a little sea weed one day, and they scraped it up in piles that looked like piles of sand.

I like the Holiday Inn on Seawall Blvd. It is right across from the beach. I have stayed at several, but without a car, I would suggest this hotel. It has a free shuttle to and from the cruise terminal.

Since Houston is about an hour from Galveston, you will probably not find a hotel that shuttles to the cruise, but there are many other options as stated by previous posters.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Galveston.

?????????????? I have been there several times since Ike. I was there for a week in June. There is no lack of sand. We went to the sandy beach everyday. The only problem was a little sea weed one day, and they scraped it up in piles that looked like piles of sand.

I like the Holiday Inn on Seawall Blvd. It is right across from the beach. I have stayed at several, but without a car, I would suggest this hotel. It has a free shuttle to and from the cruise terminal.

Since Houston is about an hour from Galveston, you will probably not find a hotel that shuttles to the cruise, but there are many other options as stated by previous posters.

You're exactly right... the beach is as good as or better than it was before Ike...

I took these pictures about three months ago...

carshow007.jpg

carshow008.jpg

carshow009.jpg

Galveston is as bright and beautiful as always...

Check out the cams:

http://www.galveston.com/beachcam/

:)

OK when I was there in January, I noticed they were pilling up sand in piles still trucking it in... and lots of rocks. did not seem as nice as it used to be.

I have been back but didnt stay on the seawall.

Others also say Galveston for sure is not the best Texas beach .. but its a beach, so enjoy.

OK when I was there in January, I noticed they were pilling up sand in piles still trucking it in... and lots of rocks. did not seem as nice as it used to be.

I have been back but didnt stay on the seawall.

Others also say Galveston for sure is not the best Texas beach .. but its a beach, so enjoy.

Outside of South Padre I find it to be one of the better beaches... but I've visited it more recently than you have so...

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how many people are in your party but another option is to get a one way car rental from Galveston to Hobby. This is only an option if you return to Houston on a weekday. The car rental place closes early on Sat and is closed on Sundays.

Archived