Snorkeling with a Mustache/Goatee

october37

My fiance is going to be snorkeling for the first time on our cruise in November. Obviously I have not had facial hair to deal with so I don't know if he's going to have any issues with snorkeling. Can any of you guys weigh in and let me know if he's going to have to shave his face?

Thanks all!

Michelle & Jeff

You do get a little seepage at the shallower depths. One trick I've used is to put some type of petroleum jelly on your mustache first and that slows it down more even at greater depths. The new style masks don't leak as bad as the old ones I used when I started out.

Well, I snorkel and even do some SCUBA and have lived with a mustache for a long time. And yes, it is difficult to get a tight fit (and I have a custom mask) but we do have tricks. Most divers with mustaches have learned to use regular vaseline. You just take a glob and rub it on the mustache before putting on the mask and it helps. With a little practice and a decent mask you can get a darn good fit. As to a beard, you can try the same technique but the more facial hair at the seal of the mask the more difficult to get a good seal. A gotee it should not be a problem unless there is some facial hair above the mouth line.

Hank

That is the reason that I have started using swim Goggles for snorkeling. Since you really don't go that deep, the goggles with a snorkel work fine. And they are smaller and easier to pack. Actually Goggles and a snorkel will fit easily in a laptop case with the laptop.

I have a Van Dyke beard (goatee with mustache.) The goatee isn't a factor. I wear the mustache thick, like "Earl" (My name is Earl.) I wear a good quality mask, but not a custom mask. Frequently when I begin, I have to re-seat the mask 3~4 times before it will stop leaking, but I always find "the sweet spot." Make sure he uses some type of anti-fogging liquid in the mask. If he doesn't, each time he takes the mask off to wipe the fog, he'll have to go through the 3~4 tries all over again.

I've never heard of Vaseline to seal the mask, may try it next time.

Bottom line, no he doesn't have to shave.

My partner and I both have large mustaches. The one and only time we snorkeled, our guide put Vaseline on our staches. Later in the day, I looked at my partner who had removed his mask and was shocked to see a big glob of snot hanging from his nose! It was really gross. It took me a minute to realize that it was the Vaseline. The salt water makes the Vaseline turn white. LOL

Not that I wouldn't love him just as much without that hot look he has going on with the facial hair and all :D...I just want him to enjoy the experience (and even better if we can find a way to save face...lol)

Thanks again to all!

Michelle

Archived