Cruising Solo, not Single

Iggipolka

I'm married, but not able to travel with my partner for awhile. So, I'm looking for great cruise deals with low single supplements and am getting a bit frustrated. The good deals on are "Singles" cruises. I am not the least bit interested in meeting someone for a relationship and the party atmosphere of singles cruises isn't appealing.

Any ideas for finding good deals on solo travel as opposed to singles travel?

You have to stay away from the mass market lines as most charge 200% of the regular fare. Some lines will have specials, and that's a reason to go to a local travel agent, where they know of deals to be had. The luxury lines have SS anywhere from 105% to 135%, which is much better than most. You can also look for 2 for 1 specials where you only pay the first person fare.

Where do you find good deals on "singles" cruises? Most of those just seem to be a gimick where they match you with room mates to get the regular rate. :(

Carnival does 150% supplement on 1A cat cabins, but those seem to run out sometimes a few months out from the saiing date. RCI used to have 150% supplement on many of it's Tuesday Specials, but that seems to be fairly rare these days. I got what I think is a 50% supplement on Grand Princess for next December, but that was booking 50 weeks out and now the same cat is at 100% supplement. I don't know if I got lucky with that, or Princess just has a small number of inside cabins at 150% supplement on every cruise and when they are gone that is it...

Another option is the group cruises here on CC. Though some of them don't even bother listing a solo cabin, and most of the others aren't much of a deal. Still may be worth checking out since that gets you into a group which isn't based specifically on singles.

I understand your concern about solo cruising!! I venture out on all my trips alone. My advice, find a great travel agent who have good experience with cruises. A good travel agent can receive deals that's not listed.

For example, I was able to take a seven day trip on a very nice cruise line for under $800. I had an outside cabin (blocked view, but who is in their room ??) and only paid a small mark up.

You have to be flexiable and willing to snap a great deal up right away.

But check around with anyone you know that cruise often and ask them who they dealt with. Good luck!!

I did research about Alaska cruises and found only a few cruiselines which were single-friendly. I did not want a huge party ship (like Princess) so I booked on Holland America as I decided they were probably more my type - over age 40, smaller ship and have a single share program. But I had to go to their website; didn't find travel agents very knowledge about single shares so it will pay you to do a lot of research on the destination you desire. You'll probably have better luck with the Caribbean cruises as they tend to cater more to singles than Alaska or other destinations.

I just booked my 3rd solo cruise on Holland America. If you're flexible on cabins and dates, you can get single supplements from them that are below 150%. Book early, because the lower single supplements are capacity controlled. Also avoid peak times, like school breaks and holidays.

Roz

I think they have a very good general selection - Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Panama Canal, Med.......I'm thinking of trying one of their single sponsored cruises next year unless I can find a willing GF as DH has decided he's had enough of cruising....Happy Sailing!

Solo cruising is great. My wife and I usually end up taking one solo trip a year and another trip together in part because of our work and holiday schedules. Of the mass-market lines HAL seems to offer some good deals on single supplements. Sometimes the high end lines like Crystal or Silversea have very low single supps which make them a good value (although still $$$) compared to the lines charging 150-200%.

Archived