NCL Dress Code for NCL First Timer

SheSailsSeaShells

We'll be sailing on the Norwegian Spirit this Fall and I'm looking for a copy of the dress code. We're hoping to pack light and stay super casual (dress shorts and collared polo for hubby, skirts/slacks and blouses for me) and we'll eat at the buffet if that's the only place we're allowed to dress casually.

I understand a lot of people have opinions about the dress code but I'm hoping that instead of having a debate about what everyone "thinks" is appropriate, I'd instead like to find out the actual NCL dress code if there is one. Thanks!

Hot off the website (note that this varies by ship, some ships allow shorts in the MDR some don't, depending on itinerary, etc.):

"

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout."

We just returned from the Star this past weekend, this being our 6th cruise with NCL.

In the past, there used to be small signs on the reception desk as you enter the MDR's that said, "Please no jeans, t-shirts or shorts in the dining room after 5pm, thank you." But those signs are now gone.

The dress code is resort casual, but we saw most everything in any of the dining rooms at any time. Most people who were in jeans were presentable, and I did see some in shorts too. No one was chased out. I did not see anyone in a swimsuit in the restaurants, but then, we were in Alaska.

There were several in Cagney's in presentable jeans as well and not a word was mentioned.

We are always respectful of the dress code, regardless of what others are doing. So DH always wore slacks for the evening meal but he wore jeans for breakfast and lunch. I always wear dresses (or skirts) regardless of any dress code, so I'm always ok.:)

Here's the reply I got when I asked NCL directly.

The dress code onboard:

Jeans: Presentable jeans are permitted in most dining venues in the evening, except the “designated” venue. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.

Resort casual is appropriate in all venues, including specialty restaurants. Resort casual attire may include simple slacks and shirts, skirts and sundresses.

Formal nights are offered on each ship for sailings of 3 days or more. Although not required, if a guest chooses to dress up, formal attire consists of black tie or dark suits for men, evening gown or cocktail dress for women.

Bare feet, t-Shirts, cut-offs, tank tops and swim suits are not permitted in any dining venue for dinner other than the outdoor dining venues.

Here are some guidelines:

Shorts: Only Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks will be permitted in any dining venue for dinner. All other shorts will not be permitted in any dining venue for dinner with the exception of the Buffet and any outdoor dining venues.

Hawaiian and/or Tropical shirts are permitted in all dining venues for all meals.

Flip flops are not permitted in the "designated" venues.

Workout attire and track suits are only permitted in the buffet and any outdoor dining venues for dinner. Presentable track suits are permitted in all venues for Breakfast and Lunch.

Children under 12 can wear presentable jeans and shorts in all dining venues for all meals. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition. Presentable shorts are well groomed shorts that are either dressy or sporty shorts, but not cut off jeans shorts or swimming trunks.

So, no shorts in the MDR, but shorts are okay for the buffet.

Thanks Micchi. I know hubby won't be going for the "knee socks" with his shorts :D so it looks like we'll be eating at the buffet in the evenings and we can do the MDR on sea days for lunch maybe.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Micchi. I know hubby won't be going for the "knee socks" with his shorts :D so it looks like we'll be eating at the buffet in the evenings and we can do the MDR on sea days for lunch maybe.

Thanks everyone!

LOL - I have never seen anyone do the full-on Bermuda shorts! Maybe you can convince DH to be a trendsetter ;)

Thank you Sparks. We'll be on the Norwegian Spirit doing the Exotic Western Caribbean itinerary. Do you know if men's dress shorts are allowed in the MDR on any evenings on that ship and itinerary?

The answer is going to be in the Freestyle Daily when you board.

my hubby is a fan of wearing shorts all year round...but for his cruises he takes one pair of long pants..nothing dressy. he changes after dinner. while we are big fan of the buffet, on the spirit.... you don't want to eat there for every meal.

breakfast and lunch, shorts will be find in the MDR. shorts, for dinner, will depend on the hostess. some cruises they get strict about shorts, other cruises not so much.

the dress code is very casual...polo/golf shirts will be the majority.

the MDR offers food that is not available in the buffet...like the creme brulee and the wonderful sherberts. take one pair of kakhis...then eat where YOU want.

First cruise, I was all excited about getting dressed up to go eat in the MDR, 2nd cruise same thing, then I got really sick onboad. This was the one I didn't take DH on, so my DS (4 at the time) learned how to call for room service for us. OH Lord, now a child being able to call and order chocolate milk and cookies to be delivered to the room where the cartoons are playing. 3rd and 4th cruise, we only ate in the MDR twice, once was only to get the chocolate cake. Preparing for the 5th cruise, I am with you, I don't want to take alot and I don't want to have to "dress up" too much. This is our first NCL cruise too, so I'm anxious to check it all out.

The key is enforcement. There are many reports of shorts being allowed in the main and specialty dining rooms from most of the ships. I know on the Pride of America there were shorts in the main dining room.

The reports vary widely... some ships are very strict with the no shorts rule while others appear to look the other way. (even varies from dining room to dining room on certain ships.) It all comes down to how much confrontation the maitre'd is willing to take.

Polo shirt, kahki pants & tennis shoes or sandals are always acceptable on all nights in EVERY dining venue. That one outfit is always going to work.

At this time I would pack at least one pair of slacks/jeans with his shorts just in case the host/hostess of the dining room objects to casual shorts. While I wear shorts during the day, I change into slacks before dining in the dining rooms and restaurants during the evening for dinner...

I wear collared shirts as well, either golf or Hawaiian print shirts... I do not wish to appear as a slob wearing a t-shirt...

LOL - I have never seen anyone do the full-on Bermuda shorts! Maybe you can convince DH to be a trendsetter ;)

LOL, he's definitely not a trendsetter! He hates dressing up but he'd wear his tux every night to dinner before he'd wear the Bermuda shorts and socks! :D

We just returned from the Star this past weekend, this being our 6th cruise with NCL.

In the past, there used to be small signs on the reception desk as you enter the MDR's that said, "Please no jeans, t-shirts or shorts in the dining room after 5pm, thank you." But those signs are now gone.

The dress code is resort casual, but we saw most everything in any of the dining rooms at any time. Most people who were in jeans were presentable, and I did see some in shorts too. No one was chased out. I did not see anyone in a swimsuit in the restaurants, but then, we were in Alaska.

There were several in Cagney's in presentable jeans as well and not a word was mentioned.

We are always respectful of the dress code, regardless of what others are doing. So DH always wore slacks for the evening meal but he wore jeans for breakfast and lunch. I always wear dresses (or skirts) regardless of any dress code, so I'm always ok.:)

Thanks Hikini, somehow I missed your post earlier. That's interesting they took the no shorts/jeans before 5 sign down. Wonder if there's any meaning to that or if it just got broken or misplaced. Or maybe someone wanting to dress casually took the sign!! :p

The answer is going to be in the Freestyle Daily when you board.

This is correct!

Thanks Sparks and P&L. I'll check it out when we board.

my hubby is a fan of wearing shorts all year round...but for his cruises he takes one pair of long pants..nothing dressy. he changes after dinner. while we are big fan of the buffet, on the spirit.... you don't want to eat there for every meal.

breakfast and lunch, shorts will be find in the MDR. shorts, for dinner, will depend on the hostess. some cruises they get strict about shorts, other cruises not so much.

the dress code is very casual...polo/golf shirts will be the majority.

the MDR offers food that is not available in the buffet...like the creme brulee and the wonderful sherberts. take one pair of kakhis...then eat where YOU want.

Cathi, that's a good idea. I think I'll go ahead and stick a pair of slacks in for him in case he changes his mind.

First cruise, I was all excited about getting dressed up to go eat in the MDR, 2nd cruise same thing, then I got really sick onboad. This was the one I didn't take DH on, so my DS (4 at the time) learned how to call for room service for us. OH Lord, now a child being able to call and order chocolate milk and cookies to be delivered to the room where the cartoons are playing. 3rd and 4th cruise, we only ate in the MDR twice, once was only to get the chocolate cake. Preparing for the 5th cruise, I am with you, I don't want to take alot and I don't want to have to "dress up" too much. This is our first NCL cruise too, so I'm anxious to check it all out.

Thanks MommyMonster. I booked this cruise kind of spur of the moment without doing any research but I'm liking what I've been reading so far and I'm really looking forward to my first experience with NCL and the Spirit seems to have many fans here. It's also our first cruise from NOLA so we're looking forward to that too!

The key is enforcement. There are many reports of shorts being allowed in the main and specialty dining rooms from most of the ships. I know on the Pride of America there were shorts in the main dining room.

The reports vary widely... some ships are very strict with the no shorts rule while others appear to look the other way. (even varies from dining room to dining room on certain ships.) It all comes down to how much confrontation the maitre'd is willing to take.

Polo shirt, kahki pants & tennis shoes or sandals are always acceptable on all nights in EVERY dining venue. That one outfit is always going to work.

Thanks DAGVBSB. We definitely don't want a confrontation with the maitre'd or anyone else so if the rules say no shorts in the MDR we'll respect that and eat in the buffet. But if on our sailing the dailies say they're ok we'll go ahead and eat in the MDR on those evenings. I also think as several have suggested I'm going to stick in a pair of slacks for hubby in case something on the MDR menu catches his eye and he decides he can endure wearing pants.

I still laugh when he tells me he doesn't want to wear pants on vacation. Even though I know he means no "long pants", every time he says he doesn't want to wear pants I picture him walking around the ship in his undies. :o

Thanks DAGVBSB. I also think as several have suggested I'm going to stick in a pair of slacks for hubby in case something on the MDR menu catches his eye and he decides he can endure wearing pants.

Very smart move... Its very possible he won't have to wear the slacks, but one pair isn't going to take up much room in his luggage... ;););)

the menus are posted in the hallway, deck 7, in front of the stairs that lead to the windows (MDR). the dinner menu is posted after lunch serving is over. as we came back from excursions, we would check it out. also, menus can be views at the reservations desk for those that like to plan ahead.

most nights we loved the carved meats, freshly made pasta and crepes in the buffet. but 2 nights, the MDR had stuff we wanted to try.

except for the crepes and ice cream, the desserts (buffet) were lacking.

one man was yelling at the reservations desk, they wanted to do several of the speciality restaurants..but were told NO shorts. this was an older man who only packed shorts. his wife was in tears and MAD at hubby for being stubborn. they did eat in the MDRs, but had special permission, other then him we didn't see any shorts in either MDR.

depends on what you want for breakfast or lunch. we like a quick breakfast..the buffet had made-to-order eggs stations. breakfast is in the Windows, big, big room...took server 20 mins to bring back grape jelly. we like the sandwiches and salads (buffet) for lunch.

if we get to go back, this dec, it will be for R&R..i see more trips to the buffet! (waiting to see if prices drop for last minute cruise)

my hubby said it made him feel strange to be the only one in shorts..hence he packs the long pants. dress up means he wears a button shirt.

Thanks MommyMonster. I booked this cruise kind of spur of the moment without doing any research but I'm liking what I've been reading so far and I'm really looking forward to my first experience with NCL and the Spirit seems to have many fans here. It's also our first cruise from NOLA so we're looking forward to that too!

We are sailing out of NOLA on SPIRIT the week of Thanksgiving, If you are going that week you should come join our ROLL CALL.

Make sure you take some time to grab a Beignet and Coffee at Cafe du Monde and a Muffelata (SP) We got them at Cafe Maspero last time, but I have been told by the locals that Central Grocery has better ones. And if you happen to go shopping at the mall that has the daquiri shop (yes shopping and daquiris, it doesn't get better) I don't recommend having more than 3, and you really don't want to know how I know that.

Thanks DAGVBSB. We definitely don't want a confrontation with the maitre'd or anyone else so if the rules say no shorts in the MDR we'll respect that and eat in the buffet. But if on our sailing the dailies say they're ok we'll go ahead and eat in the MDR on those evenings. I also think as several have suggested I'm going to stick in a pair of slacks for hubby in case something on the MDR menu catches his eye and he decides he can endure wearing pants.

I still laugh when he tells me he doesn't want to wear pants on vacation. Even though I know he means no "long pants", every time he says he doesn't want to wear pants I picture him walking around the ship in his undies. :o

Spewed my tea all over the computer, That is hillarious.:D

My hubby brings a couple of pairs of dockers and a couple of pairs of polo shirts. He'd much rather wear dress shorts. I'm happy to hear the kids don't have to wear pants, but I'm hoping our next cruise will allow shorts in at least one of the dining rooms for him! Good luck to you! We like eating in the dining room rather than the buffet. :)

our last 4 NCL sailings we have seen shorts in the MDRs...3 different ships...its just going to vary from sailing to sailing and who is in charge of

the MDRs...hubby will be taking a pair of dress shorts with him on this next cruise and as far as jeans he has been wearing them in both MDRs a night or two and never a problem--you will see quite a few in jeans-polos/hawaiian print shirts.

wouldnt just take shorts tho always least have one pair of khakis with ya!

RELAX ENJOY...its FREE~STYLE:)

Very smart move... Its very possible he won't have to wear the slacks, but one pair isn't going to take up much room in his luggage... ;););)

Thanks Don, I agree they won't take up much room. I might even slip a couple pair in! ;)

the menus are posted in the hallway, deck 7, in front of the stairs that lead to the windows (MDR). the dinner menu is posted after lunch serving is over. as we came back from excursions, we would check it out. also, menus can be views at the reservations desk for those that like to plan ahead.

most nights we loved the carved meats, freshly made pasta and crepes in the buffet. but 2 nights, the MDR had stuff we wanted to try.

except for the crepes and ice cream, the desserts (buffet) were lacking.

one man was yelling at the reservations desk, they wanted to do several of the speciality restaurants..but were told NO shorts. this was an older man who only packed shorts. his wife was in tears and MAD at hubby for being stubborn. they did eat in the MDRs, but had special permission, other then him we didn't see any shorts in either MDR.

depends on what you want for breakfast or lunch. we like a quick breakfast..the buffet had made-to-order eggs stations. breakfast is in the Windows, big, big room...took server 20 mins to bring back grape jelly. we like the sandwiches and salads (buffet) for lunch.

if we get to go back, this dec, it will be for R&R..i see more trips to the buffet! (waiting to see if prices drop for last minute cruise)

my hubby said it made him feel strange to be the only one in shorts..hence he packs the long pants. dress up means he wears a button shirt.

Cathi, thanks for the tip about the menu postings. And I'm thinking my hubby will feel the same way once he's on board and will probably just change into his shorts after dinner.

Spewed my tea all over the computer, That is hillarious.:D

I know, right? It's a funny image, a grown man walking around the ship in just his undies because he refuses to wear pants on vacation. I love teasing him about it. ;) Seriously though I do understand him wanting to be casual, that's why we booked NCL this time. We wanted to check out the whole "freestyle" thing. Anytime dining, casual dress, etc.

Wish we were going on the Thanksgiving cruise with you but we'll be sailing the week before you.

My hubby brings a couple of pairs of dockers and a couple of pairs of polo shirts. He'd much rather wear dress shorts. I'm happy to hear the kids don't have to wear pants, but I'm hoping our next cruise will allow shorts in at least one of the dining rooms for him! Good luck to you! We like eating in the dining room rather than the buffet. :)

our last 4 NCL sailings we have seen shorts in the MDRs...3 different ships...its just going to vary from sailing to sailing and who is in charge of

the MDRs...hubby will be taking a pair of dress shorts with him on this next cruise and as far as jeans he has been wearing them in both MDRs a night or two and never a problem--you will see quite a few in jeans-polos/hawaiian print shirts.

wouldnt just take shorts tho always least have one pair of khakis with ya!

RELAX ENJOY...its FREE~STYLE:)

Thanks Tiff and Starfish. I'm going to take the suggestion to go ahead and stick in a couple pair of dockers. I think it will be better to have them even if he chooses not to wear them than wish I had packed them!

Really looking forward to a relaxing Free Style cruise. I'm already getting in cruise mode just talking with all you nice people. Can't wait!

Archived