Century Sky Suite location advice needed,please

fernem

Hi.

I am currently in sky suite 1237 on the Century transatlantic in October. Cabin 1239 is available and I am wondering whether to switch. 1239 is further away from the stairs/elevators but is closer to the potential noise from the aft bar.

Any advice from those who have been back there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fern

You don't really have to worry about noise from aft bar in either cabin. (I stayed in 1233 and never heard a thing from aft bar and after having been at aft bar, would think that would be the case for your cabin. There is not alot of noise coming from that area -- in terms of live music, the most that you will have is an acoustic guitar player....so not music of a level that would travel far.)

You might want to choose the cabin farthest away from the elevators however. Given the way the elevators are situated at that part of the ship, it would be pretty east to hear noise from folks standing and waiting on elevator from cabins located very near the elevator. Not saying that the level of noise would disturb everyone, but since you asked about noise, this is what I think.

Thanks for responding! It is funny. I was in 1233 and moved when I read on these boards that people felt that cabin creaked a lot and made funny noises that were attributed to it being the cabin on the seam line ... the first of the new added cabins from the 2006 Century retrofit.

1233 is about equally as far away from the elevators as my cabin 1237 now. Did you hear people around the elevators and going up and down the stairs? I will be on this ship for two weeks, one whole week at sea, so I want to make the best choice I can.

Thanks very much for your help.

Fern

I realized after re-reading my post, that I gave you the wrong cabin number. I stayed in 1229. In that cabin I did not have a problem with the creaking but I have read about that on these boards. I just did not notice it. (My dad stayed in 1233 on a cruise the following year and reported no problems with noise either from creaking or elevator, but he is slightly hard of hearing so I do not know if he is reliable... but I did ask him about that very thing.) It could be that my cruise and his was pretty sedate from a rocking and rolling standpoint.

Just to offer a further opinion on these noise issues (noise is number one consideration for me in when choosing a cabin) I would stay in sky suite again but try to get as far from elevator as possible. The elevators are not separated from hall in any way so noise will travel.

On that deck you may hear joggers above (although they are not supposed to be up there --- Century has closed that area to joggers but occasionally people will not abide by the rule.) but I heard them only once or twice. Not a problem for me overall and would not keep me from booking sky suite again.

I would avoid going too far aft-- you get alot of foot traffic in the hall from the family verandahs at the far aft end of the hall -- usually lots of kids/teens about. Finally, I would avoid last aft sky suite cabin because there are steps to deck right beside your balcony -- folks walking up or down steps could bend over and look in pretty easily. I also worried that I would hear people on the steps.

One other consideration is that the bathrooms in the newer upfitted cabins might be a bit nicer (i.e., newer) than the ones in older cabins. I am sure someone on these boards could comment directly on that.

Sorry to have given you the wrong cabin number. I hope my thoughts on sky suite location are useful to you.

I hope this is helpful.

Topsailgirl, in pictures the jogging track on Sunrise deck appears to be towards the front of the ship and the cabins below seem to be towards the aft. Do people run on an area not meant for running or are they limiting the hours on the actual jogging track?

One of my favorite things to do is go for very early morning run on the jogging track but I wouldn't want to wake up anyone in cabins below.

Sandm,

The deck above the sky suites specifically, with signage, prohibits jogging and there is a jogging track further to the front of the ship. Sometimes people ignore the sign, however. I was in 1210 in May and found it very quiet up there. Best to jog on jogging track, which is just fine, although you will go around quite a few times.

Topsailgirl,

Thanks for the info. I have no choice but near the back. That's what was available. I think I will take my chances with the elevator rather than further back with the very aft cabins and inside cabins. More people. I am hoping a transatlantic will be quieter back there, anyway.

It's gotta be good in a sky suite sailing across the Atlantic! I think.

Fern

Archived