Help w/ Amalfi to Port

Ashlm85

We are spending four days in Positano before our cruise in October. We will be needing to get to the port in Civitavecchia. I got one quote for 430E. It seems pretty expensive, however, I understand that it is quite a distance. My two questions are:

Does this seem too expensive?

Are there any other ideas that anyone has? We're not opposed to public trans., but we will have quite a few bags, which has me a little concerned.

Thanks for help!!!

We are spending four days in Positano before our cruise in October. We will be needing to get to the port in Civitavecchia. I got one quote for 430E. It seems pretty expensive, however, I understand that it is quite a distance. My two questions are:

Does this seem too expensive?

Are there any other ideas that anyone has? We're not opposed to public trans., but we will have quite a few bags, which has me a little concerned.

Thanks for help!!!

Rent a car and drive yourself...

There is one direct IC-train from Naples Central to Civitavecchia with no transfer...

leaving 07.30 hrs - arriving 10.35 hrs... IC 510

Update: train starts 06.43 hrs form Salerno...

perfect for embarkation...

so ask for a quotation from Positano to Naples (Napoli Centrale...) and a taxi from the train station to pier is around 10 EUR...

Maybe it's an option for you. Hope it helps...

Regards

HeinBloed

You might price out a taxi to Salerno, followed by the train from Salerno to Rome, followed by a car service from Rome to Civitavecchia. It might not be a big savings, or at least not enough to offset the complications of so many changes.

Would you consider driving yourself? Renting a car and driving it up?

You might price out a taxi to Salerno, followed by the train from Salerno to Rome, followed by a car service from Rome to Civitavecchia. It might not be a big savings, or at least not enough to offset the complications of so many changes.

Would you consider driving yourself? Renting a car and driving it up?

I would consider it for sure. At first thought it made me cringe and twitch a little, but I can see the benefits.

Rent a car and drive yourself...

There is one direct IC-train from Naples Central to Civitavecchia with no transfer...

leaving 07.30 hrs - arriving 10.35 hrs... IC 510

Update: train starts 06.43 hrs form Salerno...

perfect for embarkation...

so ask for a quotation from Positano to Naples (Napoli Centrale...) and a taxi from the train station to pier is around 10 EUR...

This sounds very promising. I'm going to check out the rates to Naples. Thanks!

With the luggage situation we agree with the other post to simply rent a car. In fact, when we stay on the Amalfi Coast or almost anywhere in Italy we simply get a car which makes life a lot easier. We normally stay in Praiano instead of Positano because it is a lot less money and the two hotels we use both have free parking (a problem in Positano). Getting from Positano to anywhere via private car or taxi is quite expensive (we are talking hundreds). We can generally rent a car through Autoeurope or Kemwel (sister companies that are consolidators for Europcar and Hertz) for as little as $50 a day and there are no extra charges for picking-up and dropping at different locations within Italy. Hertz is very convenient in Civitavecchia since their office is only 2 blocks from the port entrance (between the port and the train station) and Europcar also has an office although its a bit further from the port.

Hank

Archived