Increase in taxes after booking

sandydownunder

I'm booked on the Volendam 13th March Sydney to Singapore with a US Travel Agent. Have not made final payment. Got an email to say taxes have been increased $31.37 per person. Has that happened to anyone else? I've read on HAL's web site that they can charge the fuel supplement if it goes above $70 a barrell. Seems the cruise lines have not taken that option. Can they increase taxes? I would have thought I was under a contract/agreement for the price quoted.

Yes they can pass on the increased taxes and/or port charges and it is fairly common.

here is another thread from 2 days ago about this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1275544

And another

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1267392

And one more :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1266582

I'm booked on the Volendam 13th March Sydney to Singapore with a US Travel Agent. Have not made final payment. Got an email to say taxes have been increased $31.37 per person. Has that happened to anyone else? I've read on HAL's web site that they can charge the fuel supplement if it goes above $70 a barrell. Seems the cruise lines have not taken that option. Can they increase taxes? I would have thought I was under a contract/agreement for the price quoted.

ours went up $34 bucks after booking on our Canal cruise Feb 2011... seems to be common...

HAL does not charge taxes---HAL collects taxes on behalf of the various ports and passes the money on. Your cruise price does not change but if the taxes they have to collect rise after you make your payment they have to pass it on to you. Sometimes the taxes are less and you get a reduction at final payment time.

If you miss a port you will have the taxes refunded to your onboard account.

This is a very common occurance and one which the company has no control over.

Thanks for the info. I expect if it also includes port charges then it maybe to do with currency fluctuations. Our Aussie dollar is very strong at the moment. There are several Australian ports on this cruise so if we are charging HAL in Aussie $ they will be paying more than they anticipated.

Archived