Vancouver Downtown Hotels--Pricing Going Up

Italy52

I booked the Hyatt Regency in June 2010 for our May & June 2011 pre & post cruise stays. I always make a refundable reservation and watch pricing for a better fare as we get closer to cruise. According to the current reservation pricing, I got a heck of a deal by prebooking when I did. From past experiences, I don't remember Vancouver hotels being so pricey this far out --- is something going on in May 2011? It seems like every time I get an alert, the pricing seems to be going up.

I am seeing the same thing in Vancouver so far out as well. I know that Disney will begin cruises out of Vancouver in 2011, maybe that is the reason.

Hard to believe that one ship will make that much of a difference --- could be though. :) As I stated above, I am so glad that I prebooked our hotels already.

Maybe some of the locals can provide us with some insight ---- anyone out there????????

When in May - the first weekend is the Vancouver International Marathon and the start of the cruise season. Late in July - last week is the North American Out Games.

Those are a couple of events that I know about.

I suspect that with an improving economy - at least in Canada - the hotels are starting high and hoping not to have to discount as much.

Cheers

Dennis

When in May - the first weekend is the Vancouver International Marathon and the start of the cruise season. Late in July - last week is the North American Out Games.

Those are a couple of events that I know about.

I suspect that with an improving economy - at least in Canada - the hotels are starting high and hoping not to have to discount as much.

Cheers

Dennis

We are presently booked at the Hyatt Regency on May 26, 2011 for $199 CAD and on June 10, 2011 for $223.20 CAD -- A real bargain given what the website is quoting at this point.

We have gone through this the past few years where pricing into the next year is higher up until the January-February time frame then starts to drop as reality sets in. The addition of one ship is not going to have a huge impact on the market, Vancouver has had well over 1,000 new hotel rooms added to its inventory over the past 3 years and a number of old hotels have been remodeled and repositioned as "boutique" hotels. Business and convention travel is certainly on the uptick but I think it will be awhile before all of this new inventory is absorbed. Bottom line....don't panic quite yet.

Not panicing (remember, I already have a fairly decent price on my hotel ressies :)) but thought it odd that prices were so high --- I definitely didn't notice this last year when I made my reservations nor when I was tracking my prices.

Will continue to monitor reservation prices --- always fun to see how low I can go. :D

Thanks for the input.

There is also the symphony of fire ( if I remember correctly.. been a few years)It is a huge fireworks display with each country representing itself on a barge that sets of fabulous fireworks displays.. but like I say it has beena few years since I left the west coast and got out of the military so thing may have changed

Yes the celebration of light fireworks still happens at the end of July and still draws the large crowds - next year with the Out Games happening during the fireworks and Vancouver Pride events it will be a zoo in the downtown core but we proved with the Olympics that we could handle the masses of humanity.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
For those that have made reservations or have stayed in Vancouver.......Any preference of hotels. Any special tours to Victoria?

Vancouver is a big city and has a ton of hotels in the downtown core. All of the major hotel chains are represented and none will be more than a $10 cab fare to Canada Place and with some you can even walk to Canada Place. You can't go wrong with any of the chain hotels. What I generally suggest to people is to bid for the room on Priceline; go to the bidding screen, choose Vancouver-Downtown, click on 3*+ and start bidding at about $100 for under $135 you will end up with a great hotel, in a good location and again to more than a $10 cab ride to Canada Place.

Tours to Victoria, here are some links to services that I can recommend:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

www.westcoastsightseeing.ca/

Vancouver is a big city and has a ton of hotels in the downtown core. All of the major hotel chains are represented and none will be more than a $10 cab fare to Canada Place and with some you can even walk to Canada Place. You can't go wrong with any of the chain hotels. What I generally suggest to people is to bid for the room on Priceline; go to the bidding screen, choose Vancouver-Downtown, click on 3*+ and start bidding at about $100 for under $135 you will end up with a great hotel, in a good location and again to more than a $10 cab ride to Canada Place.

Tours to Victoria, here are some links to services that I can recommend:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

www.westcoastsightseeing.ca/

Thanks for the info, Putterdude...exactly what I was looking for! :)

For those that have made reservations or have stayed in Vancouver.......Any preference of hotels. Any special tours to Victoria?

If you're looking at visiting Victoria pre- or post-cruise, I would highly recommend flying in or out of YYJ/Victoria to start or end your cruise; rather than going to Vancouver, and then heading to Victoria. You'll end up saving yourself ½ day travel that way, and rarely is the price significantly more. So book an open jaw into YYJ, and return from YVR.

YYJ is served by direct flights from YVR, SEA, SFO, YYC/Calgary & YYZ/Toronto (and a few others)

• 3 weeks later...
Our TA booked us a room at Pan Pacific for Sept for 1 night post cruise..it will be $192. I think for that hotel it is a decent price. We will only have a day in Vancouver but plan to book a tour of the city.

Other hitting the bid on Priceline or thru a promotion, you good a good rate and you will enjoy the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
Our TA booked us a room at Pan Pacific for Sept for 1 night post cruise..it will be $192. I think for that hotel it is a decent price. We will only have a day in Vancouver but plan to book a tour of the city.

It's a great price, I just booked it for $195 for Sept. 17th. (non refundable rate) I stayed there this past September and price was almost double.

Archived