Upsell from Romance Suite to Owner's Suite...yes or no? HELP!

sonavogel

Yes, it was the Jewel "upsell" fairy. Just now. I have a few hours, at least, to decide, but I'm not familiar enough with the suites and their locations to know which way to go.

My husband and I LOVE the balcony on our cruises (although we've never been on anything larger than a regular balcony cabin); we'll be out there a lot, so a nice large balcony is important to us. We've booked an aft romance suite on deck 10 (our first aft accommodation) for this Jewel cruise to the Bahamas, which will take place in October, when most kids are back in school (we love children, of all ages, but we wanted the chance to use the pool and walk the decks without too many flailing happy young bods).

The owner's suite offered to us (for an additional fee--am I allowed to say how much?) would be on deck 9. How would forward deck 9 differ from aft deck 10 in terms of stability, availability to other amenities (restaurants, spa, gym, etc.), and so on? And it's all the way forward, so perhaps the front balcony might be too windy, and I'm not sure how large the side balcony is. And how is the view from a forward owner's suite--is it overlooking anything like a jogging track or cafe or entertainment area, etc? Would the view be as lovely as an aft view?

Also, even though this upsell allows us entry to the courtyard, how far away is the private courtyard from the forward owner's suite?

I totally "get" how much more attention and "facilitating" the owner's suite allows vs. the romance suite--although, frankly, the romance suite gets a lot of attention all by itself. :) So that's not something I'd need to focus on. Since we have the romance suite already, I just want to know inside myself whether or not the owner's suite balconies and views and location would make it worthwhile to pay the extra $$$ and give up our deck 10 suite.

Please help with any experiences or tips. And thank you!!!

Sona

Yes, it was the Jewel "upsell" fairy. Just now. I have a few hours, at least, to decide, but I'm not familiar enough with the suites and their locations to know which way to go.

My husband and I LOVE the balcony on our cruises (although we've never been on anything larger than a regular balcony cabin); we'll be out there a lot, so a nice large balcony is important to us. We've booked an aft romance suite on deck 10 (our first aft accommodation) for this Jewel cruise to the Bahamas, which will take place in October, when most kids are back in school (we love children, of all ages, but we wanted the chance to use the pool and walk the decks without too many flailing happy young bods).

The owner's suite offered to us (for an additional fee--am I allowed to say how much?) would be on deck 9. How would forward deck 9 differ from aft deck 10 in terms of stability, availability to other amenities (restaurants, spa, gym, etc.), and so on? And it's all the way forward, so perhaps the front balcony might be too windy, and I'm not sure how large the side balcony is. And how is the view from a forward owner's suite--is it overlooking anything like a jogging track or cafe or entertainment area, etc? Would the view be as lovely as an aft view?

Also, even though this upsell allows us entry to the courtyard, how far away is the private courtyard from the forward owner's suite?

I totally "get" how much more attention and "facilitating" the owner's suite allows vs. the romance suite--although, frankly, the romance suite gets a lot of attention all by itself. :) So that's not something I'd need to focus on. Since we have the romance suite already, I just want to know inside myself whether or not the owner's suite balconies and views and location would make it worthwhile to pay the extra $$$ and give up our deck 10 suite.

Please help with any experiences or tips. And thank you!!!

Sona

We have sailed in both the romance suite and the owners suite...if your finances allow it go for the owners suite....the front balcony is very large and can get windy while underway but the side balcony is a nice size and affords a nice view... GO FOR IT !!!!!

I've been trying to read as much as I can of posts on this board about the owner's suites. Is it correct, for the Jewel, that the front balcony juts out such that those looking out the bridge windows above (is it above if the suite is on deck 9?) may look down upon those actually on the balcony?

Thanks!

--Sona

I've been trying to read as much as I can of posts on this board about the owner's suites. Is it correct, for the Jewel, that the front balcony juts out such that those looking out the bridge windows above (is it above if the suite is on deck 9?) may look down upon those actually on the balcony?

Thanks!

--Sona

Haven't been in OS but have been in AC forward on deck 10 of the Jewel. You are correct in that a fair portion of the forward deck could be looked into from the bridge.

We have a deck 10 romance suite for the jewel Bahamas cruise next June. I would love to get the offer to the os. Not sure how much more you were asked to pay (yes! U can tell! :) but if I could afford it I would grab it. We had an os on deck 9 on the dawn. Loved it. The bathroom is to die for for one thing. The service is going to be even more attentive. The big forward balcony is great while in port and the side balcony is big enough for a dining table and 2 chairs plus a couple regular chairs. It's more of a hike depending on where you go a lot but with access to the cy on top of it well worth it!

I have been in a CV and a Romance Suite on the Jewel. I would have a tough time deciding. I enjoyed the Courtyard amenities but we didn't use it as much as we expected. On the other hand, I absolutely LOVED our romance suite. I am a sucker for an AFT balcony and we spent countless hours out there relaxing in private, and I enjoyed it even more than the shared Courtyard.

On the first & last Sea Days you will likely find your forward balcony windy and chilly, so you may find yourself using the side balcony more than the forward one, especially since you will be a fair distance from the Courtyard.

So, I guess as a balcony person, I would probably stick with the Romance suite, but if I were more of an indoor person, I would likely choose the Owner's Suite for the extra space and perks.

I am rambling here, and probably made you more confused, but the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one! Look seriously at the price difference and decide if it is worth it since the Romance Suite is pretty darn nice!

It is a pretty nice dilemma to be faced with for sure!

My feelings are, when will you have this chance again? Maybe never. You can always cruise again in the Romance Suite (I am assuming, since you booked it this time) but maybe not (again I am assuming, so forgive me) in the DOS.

So, if the "fairy deal" is doable, I would "just do it".

The side balcony on the Jewel's OS has a dining table with two chairs, plus two chairs (cushioned and large) with ottomans to lounge on them plus a small table - it is more than twice the size of a minisuite balcony on it's own. The front balcony has two loungers and a small table, looks out over the bow and the employee pool, and I MUCH prefer the views from forward than aft. It can be a bit open to the bridge, but it's not a big deal. It is a long walk to the courtyard, but an easy one - nice to go in your robe and have a hot tub before showering for dinner. I believe the spa and gym are forward on the Jewel, so it's two floors directly above you - much closer than aft. Specialties are about equal distance from the aft, but I think the main restaurant is closer to aft. I would take the upsell in a heartbeat - I love the extra space, the separate rooms, the extra half bath, the three bottles of liquor plus the free soft drinks, etc. The OS is my first choice after the GV - I prefer it even to the DOS or Courtyard Villas. Have a great cruise!

Robin

I would definately take it. I have stayed in both and believe me the difference in size is huge. Both BAlconies are very large. The side balcony is the size on three balconies. The decor is beautiful and you have two bath rooms and as it was said before the Bathroom is to die for. You will have your own dressing room. There are three flat screen TV's. One in the living room..one in the Bedroom and one smaller one over the Bathtub. There is a window overlooking the Bathtub looking at the side Balconey. Your Cabin on the 9th deck is below the Bridge but not as visable as Deck 10 Suites. It is windy on the front Balcony but if you set down in the long Deck chairs you will be out of the wind.:p

You're wonderful--every single one of you! The varying opinions and bits of information are so helpful...but I'm sure you all know that, since you must have needed this kind of input, too, once. :D

Funny, DMH15, I just e-mailed my husband the same thing you said--we might be able to manage a romance suite again in future, but it's very doubtful we'd ever book an owner's suite from the start.

dznymom--what you write about the balconies is dead on, and you weren't rambling. You were echoing my thoughts about privacy and balcony relaxing without wind in our faces or crew members being discreet from the bridge windows above.

BikerAl, those pictures...!

monteman, since it's okay to divulge the upsell $$$, the owner's suite would cost us an extra $410 pp. Not an insubstantial amount...but much less than the total would have been up front (when added to our romance suite total).

This cruise is a gift to my husband, who has just retired after working hard for 36 years. I want us to be able to have romance, privacy, staff attention as appropriate, peace/quiet/tranquillity, and the ability to venture out only when we feel like it...as much or as little as that might be.

So, I may lose the upsell for lack of deciding, but as you write, dznymom, it's a lovely dilemma! :)

--Sona

Thanks!

--Sona

As you can see, the AA and AC on deck 10 are in full view of the bridge, deck 9 is barely visible.

Al

1463029690_088-Copy.JPG.8111200e930c679f9bf89217385b6aba.JPG

You're wonderful--every single one of you! The varying opinions and bits of information are so helpful...but I'm sure you all know that, since you must have needed this kind of input, too, once. :D

Funny, DMH15, I just e-mailed my husband the same thing you said--we might be able to manage a romance suite again in future, but it's very doubtful we'd ever book an owner's suite from the start.

dznymom--what you write about the balconies is dead on, and you weren't rambling. You were echoing my thoughts about privacy and balcony relaxing without wind in our faces or crew members being discreet from the bridge windows above.

monteman, since it's okay to divulge the upsell $$$, the owner's suite would cost us an extra $410 pp. Not an insubstantial amount...but much less than the total would have been up front (when added to our romance suite total).

This cruise is a gift to my husband, who has just retired after working hard for 36 years. I want us to be able to have romance, privacy, staff attention as appropriate, peace/quiet/tranquillity, and the ability to venture out only when we feel like it...as much or as little as that might be.

So, I may lose the upsell for lack of deciding, but as you write, dznymom, it's a lovely dilemma! :)

--Sona

I would soooooooooooooooooooooo take it! ;-)

If you can afford the $820, you should do it to celebrate this wonderful event, if nothing else. You may never have this chance again with the OS. I've been in an AD romance suite, which I loved, but from what everyone has written above about the OS, wow, sounds like you will have a really special time.

In any event, congrats to your DH, and I hope you both have a wonderful cruise! :)

--Sona

Awww heck, forget everything I said and take it :p You will be treated like royalty, and you and your husband deserve it! I didn't realize the Side balcony was as large as it apparently is or that the price was as reasonable as it is. Sounds like the best of both worlds, and even if you never set foot in the Courtyard it will be an experience you will never forget!

Picture yourself having dinner from a Specialty Restaurant on your side balcony and then wandering in to your beautiful (enormous) suite hand in hand..... It doesn't get more romantic than that!

Congratulations to you both on your husband's retirement!

dznymom, you're funny! :D I know why you wrote this--you start to go round and round in your head, and eventually your eyes cross and you don't know what to do! All you know is that it's a rare opportunity and would make for an amazing experience.

Well, I just finished going over it (and over it) with my husband--over the phone, yet! He's racing around today with all sorts of other commitments to his mom and his daughter/my stepdaughter, so he tried hard to visualize everything I told him and to give me an honest opinion.

Tell you, I almost tore my hair out when he told me lovingly, "Whatever you decide will be fine with me." Boy!

But in the end, we both agreed on a few specifics:

We like the idea of having nothing in front of us, so we can gaze out over the ocean with nothing jutting out below or slanting back that we can see above.

We like the idea of a large, large balcony that will not be windy and that we can eat dinner in, with lots of room for everything.

We like the idea of privacy and not having to do anything we don't want to do--not having to dress up for a captain's cocktail party or even be sociable if we don't feel like it when we're in a private courtyard with only a few other passengers (vs. the hundreds of anonymous faces by the main pool).

I was thrilled to have this opportunity, thrilled and exhilarated, because it was so much fun trying to decide!

But I've decided to stay with the romance suite--if we love it, then I know DH will want to book it again for us, especially once we've experienced it. And that's something we likely could do again.

But the owner's suite...that's something we're not likely to try for on our own, even if we love it this time (it's pretty much out of our range). And that would be a shame...to experience something that you'd love to get used to, knowing it's unlikely.

Thank you all--this was enormously helpful, because it centered my thoughts on what I found to be most important. :)

It's going to be a fabulous cruise!!

All the best, Sona

Sona....I for one don't think you will regret the decision. To me, there is just nothing that can compare with the view from the aft..it's quiet and peaceful back there and the perfect place for a retreat or celebration. There is nothing like sitting out on the back enjoying the stars in the sky or watching the world go by. :D Enjoy celebrating with your hubby and come back and tell us all about it! :)

Archived