Will ship go to Bernuda??

Scottp49

I leave on Sept. 24th to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas. I know this is after the storm passes, but I have read after previous hurricanes, it took a couple of weeks before ships returned to Bermuda. Any thoughts on where a ship from Newark would go if not to Bermuda??

Thanks.

The ports in Bermuda are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday. However, much will depend on how direct a hit the island takes from Igor and how much damage is done. That probably won't be known to any great extent until the storm passes and an assessment can be made by the authorities. Keep monitoring your cruiseline's website for the latest updates but be prepared in case they have to bypass Bermuda and alter their itinerary. You will probably have a better idea after the storm passes.:)

ExOS could also go north (not an option for Enchantment), so you'd have to wait for the cruise line to make a determination. This being said, we called on Bermuda in 2009 a week after a major TS had brushed by the island and stripped lots of vegetation off trees etc. Hopefully she'll weather this storm just a well - Igor's supposed to be a cat 2 by the time he lands. Best wishes to those riding it out in Bermuda:)

I heard a story this am on the news (Jim Cantore of the weather channel is in Bermuda) and they were saying they're expecting damage (roofs, power, etc) so it's possible they may not be ready for ships right away. Just because the port reopens doesn't mean they can take on cruiseships. It really does depend on how strong the storm is and how direct a hit they take. Just keep checking RCI's site as you get closer after the storm has passed.

Hope for the best for cruisers! Bahamas is no substitute for Bermuda! Yes, yes, I know RCI cannot control the weather and people are cruising in hurricaine season, etc, etc. :) But I still would hate to be on one such rerouted cruise....... :eek:

Thanks for the good wishes! I realize the risk of ending up in a different port when cruising in September but I really don't want to go to Canada when I'm packed for warm weather! I want south...anywhere south! :eek:

Thanks for the good wishes! I realize the risk of ending up in a different port when cruising in September but I really don't want to go to Canada when I'm packed for warm weather! I want south...anywhere south! :eek:

You do have a point there. I didn't think about a Canadian Fall possibility and a suitcase full of shorts......:eek:

I think I would be bummed if I had to go north and packed for going south but a cruise for me is no cooking or cleaning and I am away from the daily stress going on around here...and I would be glad that RCCL chooses to keep its guests safe.

Let's pray Bermuda and it's wonderful people are ok after Igor passes. You can always replace material but you can't replace lives.

Its a hard call. We were the second sailing back to Bermuda, I think it was 2002, after their port was closed for about 5 weeks. Besides wrecking the port in Hamilton, the hurrincane took out the major bridge in Bermuda and no buses were able to take folks from one part of the island to the other. The trees were literally sand blasted and there were, no flowers to be seen. The ships sailing from NY, NJ and Boston either went the the Bahamas, or north to Canada. At first when it hit, folks sailing from NY ended up going north and did not know that until they got to port. Pray this one does no major damage.

The ships sailing from NY, NJ and Boston either went the the Bahamas, or north to Canada. At first when it hit, folks sailing from NY ended up going north and did not know that until they got to port. Pray this one does no major damage.

I vaguely recall a few years ago when a ship was diverted here to Charleston, maybe Savannah too. I don't remember details, including its originally scheduled destination, but I think it was a similar weather-related thing.

We sailed the EOS on August 5th, 2010 and we had to sail in TS Colin, The captain ablemake it into Bermuda one night before the storm was supposed to hit, and then sailed down to Nassau a day early at full speedand stayed two nights in Nassau instead of one.You are in great hands with this captain that has over twenty five years of experience! He willput you in safe seas, and make sure you have a great time too!

I know what you are saying but Canada, especially at this time of the year, is not the "frozen north" and frequently the weather and temperatures will not be much different from what is being experienced in New York and New England. Saint John and Halifax, can be quite warm in September. Obviously Nassau will be considerably warmer but there are many who find that, as a port of call, it doesn't offer as much as say, Halifax.:)

Archived