Fountain Square - Crete

sarar

Well, you can walk it if you really like to walk and I would say it is about 1 1/2 miles. The walk would give you a nice opportunity to see quite of bit of Iraklion. Otherwise you could grab a taxi or even a local bus (ask the tourist office folks at the pier about local buses).

Hank

It's worth taking a walk up to Fountain Square and seeing a few sites along the way. Here's a link to a walking tour that might be of interest if you have time.

In addition to the fountain, a couple of things that were memorable from our walk were Market Street and the Loggia (you can go inside). We also went to Knossos, and the Archaeological Museum in town.

We enjoy just walking around Iraklion, but then we enjoy walking in most European cities. As to Fountain Square, it was such a memorable place we honestly did not even remember the place until we saw your post :) Crete is a very large island that would take many days (if not weeks) to explore. But we agree with the other post and strongly recommend going to Knossos but then we do have a thing about ruins. And we agree that the Archeological Museum is worth a visit and really goes will with a visit to Knossos since the museum actually houses quite a few artifacts from the digs at Knossos.

Hank

Thanks, so you think Fountain Square is worth a visit? Sadly I'm a part-time wheelchair so wont be doing the more archeological sites, but thought Fountain Square would be a good place for me to visit. Oh and I can walk, just not long distances and up and down loads of steps.

Thanks again.

Sara

Hi Sara,

I would only go if it's convenient for you, and probably best by taxi, although the taxis in the port area want to take you on a tour for a few hours rather than just to one location. Do you have other plans for Iraklion?

Hi Sara,

I would only go if it's convenient for you, and probably best by taxi, although the taxis in the port area want to take you on a tour for a few hours rather than just to one location. Do you have other plans for Iraklion?

No we dont have any other plans for Iraklion as we are only there until 12 noon, and will be using tenders I expect to get ashore so that will take time. Can you suggest anything?

Due to the short time in this port, it might be worth checking the cruise line tours for the convenience. I don't think Knossos is a good choice for you because of the unevenness of the ground and steps there, but perhaps visiting a village further out just to see a bit of the island?

We were docked in Iraklion, but not sure if all cruise ships dock there.

We would definitely agree with the prior post that Knossos is not a good place if you have major mobility issues. When you are moving around the city you will find plenty of cafes where you can easily take a break with a capuccino. And we are also surprised that a ship would tender into this port as they do have a pretty large docking facility.

Hank

We would definitely agree with the prior post that Knossos is not a good place if you have major mobility issues. When you are moving around the city you will find plenty of cafes where you can easily take a break with a capuccino. And we are also surprised that a ship would tender into this port as they do have a pretty large docking facility.

Hank

Sorry Hank, I got that wrong we will not be tendering in Crete.

Due to the short time in this port, it might be worth checking the cruise line tours for the convenience. I don't think Knossos is a good choice for you because of the unevenness of the ground and steps there, but perhaps visiting a village further out just to see a bit of the island?

We were docked in Iraklion, but not sure if all cruise ships dock there.

Hi Susan

Thanks, we decided against one of NCL's own excursions as they are so expensive and mostly all go to areas unsuitable for myself.

Thanks

Sara

Hi Sara,

If you meet up with another couple on your cruise who don't have plans for Iraklion, one option is to share a taxi-tour with them. There are lots of taxis just outside the cruise terminal bldg. who will take you on a tour for a set price - I think they wanted 60 or 80 euros for a few hours. You could ask them to take you on a scenic tour that involves little or no walking, for just a couple of hours.

There's not much to see close to the port, so walking from the ship to do some sightseeing could be a problem.

Another option is to stay onboard and treat it as another sea day. :)

Archived