Denied boarding

USA_Cruiser

If it was good enough to get a passport it is good enough to cruise with........holy moly spigoly....

Notice the registrars signature........

It does not have a picture. It does not have the latest security technology. It's not good to cruise with but they let you anyway.

The reason it is good enough for a passport is that they take lots of TIME to verify your identity in other ways. They cannot do that investigation each time someone crosses a border or gets off a plane or ship - too expensive and too time consuming.

So that analogy does not hold water.

http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DocC_BC.jpg

This is what AL BC look like. Is this a certified BC? There is a raised seal underneath the signature. It's what i used to get my passport. My parents, brothers, and sisters are all cruising with their BC though, and now the OP has me worried!:confused:

My sons were born in AL and both have the same thing, although theirs are green. Issued by Mobile County Health Dept. I believe the official raised seal is the key to it being an official doc. I think you are good.

It does not have a picture. It does not have the latest security technology. It's not good to cruise with but they let you anyway.

The reason it is good enough for a passport is that they take lots of TIME to verify your identity in other ways. They cannot do that investigation each time someone crosses a border or gets off a plane or ship - too expensive and too time consuming.

What in the world are you talking about:confused:

You have confused me. Pictures? , I'm lost. I just wanted to know if it was a certified BC.

You have confused me. Pictures? , I'm lost. I just wanted to know if it was a certified BC.

If they have the raised seal of the appropriate issuing dept., they are official, no matter how backwoods and chintzy they look. They will look for the raised seal at the port.

it is possible that what they use as a birth certificate is a record of birth and IS an official govt document but not one that can be used for identification in this instance.

i was born in SC... they have 2 forms for their birth certificates.... 1 is a short form(card) that is an official document that has your name date of birth, birth number and is an official document used to get your DL and register you in school and otherwise can be used as your birth certificate...

i found out a month before my cruise that this card was no longer valid for use in getting my passport. i had to obtain the long form birth certificate which also lists my parents names. so now i have both....

i was told this was a recent change.

A birth record is just a record of a birth and can include the date, time, and physician's name. It's usually issued by a hospital, not a government. As such, there is no legal use for the document other than to be used to obtain a birth certificate. A birth certificate is a legal form of government-issued identification and is vital for obtaining passports, drivers licenses, etc.

The OP has obviously left out vital details of the situation. Regardless, no where on Carnival's website does it state that a valid form of identification includes a birth record from a medical facility. However, it clearly states a list of valid forms of government-issued identification. Again, we don't have all the details!

So, hopefully, people will learn a lesson from this long thread. We should carefully review every single document Carnival provides and make sure we completely understand all the terminology when booking a cruise.

I just want to point out an error in your reasoning. The fact that nobody on cruise critic has NEEDED a passport is irrelevant, since cruise critic posters represent a fraction of a percent of all cruisers. But it is a representation of the cruising industry and I can't even get one actual incident. To me that means the risk of it happening are extremely low.

There is absolutely no exception granted for emergencies when flying. If you don't have a passport, you simply cannot fly internationally to or from the US on a commercial aircraft. You instead head to the US consulate or embassy and cool your heels for a day or two (more like 3 if you're unlucky enough to be there on a weekend) while they verify your identity and residency status and then issue temporary passports.

You're right that it's your choice to take that risk, but you shouldn't gloss over teh risk for others making the decision. Not glossing over the risk, just emphasizing how low the risk is. To me the risk is too low to justify the cost. To you it isn't. Everyone has different levels of risk they are willing to take. I'm just pointing out that the risk isn't as high on closed-loop cruises as many of you "get a passport" posters want to make it. If it was such a high risk venture then the Government would not allow exception to exist.

For $12 or $24 per year, I really don't understand why Americans don't want to get passports for international travel.

Because (1) for our family it is a cost of $540 at one time (2) that is not required for the type of travel we do internationally (3) for a risk of something happening that is extremely low. FYI - It's not $12 or $24 per year. The Government does not except a payment plan, it's due at the time of purchase.

Because (1) for our family it is a cost of $540 at one time (2) that is not required for the type of travel we do internationally (3) for a risk of something happening that is extremely low. FYI - It's not $12 or $24 per year. The Government does not except a payment plan, it's due at the time of purchase.

A passport is good for 10 years (5 for kids). Thus it's actually $13 per year for adults, and $26 per year for kids (I was wrong, as the fee for first time passports is $135, not $120). My numbers are accurate.

Several years ago, when I went to get my passport, I found out that my State of New York, black birth certificate w/white writing, was nothing more than a copy and could not be used as proof for a passport.

The postmaster gave me a web address and $20 later I had a "certified copy" of my birth certificate. Good for the passport application and for anything else.

No it doesn't. It would still cost me $540 to get passports for my family today. Too much, IMHO, for the low risk associated with not having passports.

Well, if you are not traveling for a while you could do what we did. My Dh got his first 'cause there was chance he might be sent out of counrty on business, then the next month, got mine, 3rd month, got DS's, 4th month got DD's. Just did a monthly budget for each passport and it spread it out and now we don't have to worry about proper documentation for anything. :) Just an idea....

Well, if you are not traveling for a while you could do what we did. My Dh got his first 'cause there was chance he might be sent out of counrty on business, then the next month, got mine, 3rd month, got DS's, 4th month got DD's. Just did a monthly budget for each passport and it spread it out and now we don't have to worry about proper documentation for anything. :) Just an idea....

But why should I spend the money when it is not required? The cost is still $540 no matter which way you split it. It is not required by the government. The risk of needing it on a closed loop cruise is low. Why not wait until it is required?

For me, it's worth the cost for "peace of mind". We cruised on our first cruise with just our birth certificates, but I was nervous until we were on board. Immediately after we returned, and had decided that we loved cruising, we got our passports. Now, I know we are all set at any time, okay if an emergency arises and we have to fly back, and can just relax and look forward to the next cruise. I feel bad for the OP's family. I know how I would feel if I was denied boarding.

Archived