Ancient mysteries jan 2012

Acrusa

Has anyone been on a crusie that included Machu Picchu? I was just wondering how O does this port for the 3 days.This is a new Ittinarry for them, and we are just curious as how they work it.We are going to book it but, just wondering cause we havnt recieved the new brochure yet.

I never tried to do this from a cruise.

We did the Galapagos in 1989 (on a 12 passenger motor cruiser) and had two days in Quito before the "cruise" and were considering Macchu Picchu after the "cruise". At the time the Shining Path was still very active and when we were advised not to stray from our group in the main square -- and we wouldn't have had one -- we decided to pass.

But I've seen cruises that include it and I believe it involves a flight. Personally, I wouldn't do it from a cruise because I do believe this is a site that needs land involvement. From what I have read you see it best if you overnight there ... so that all the people are gone when you want to do things. You can't do that if you're being flown in from a cruise. (That's what we did in Tikal as well. We saw far more than the day trippers did.)

So you may like the cruise itinerary... but I personally wouldn't book it JUST because they say you can do Macchu Picchu. And I don't care if it's Oceania or Crystal or Royal Caribbean! There are just some places that you need to see on a land trip.

Note that I say the same about the Normandy Beaches and Paris and Berlin (or any other major city that is a distance from the port) and most people ignore my comments! If you have to take a 3-4 hour bus or train trip to get to a major city, I consider it a waste. Likewise if you have to fly in to Macchu Picchu or Tikal or some other site. For me, it's better to spend TIME there.

That's me, though. Lots of people are very happy with a day trip to, say, the Normandy Beaches.

So you should know my biases in reading my answer ...

I will add that if you think you'll NEVER have the chance again to see a place, and you can do it from a cruise -- no matter what the expense or how limited the time is -- then I say go for it.

I can totaly agree with what you are saying. We did pre cruise trips to Anga Wat for 5 days also did Agra and the Taj Mahal pre crusie 5 days .Those places I can not see doing off a ship.I would not do Myanmar off a crusie ship either.

To see one site like Machu Pichu I think for us ,this works.

Most tours on the 3 day layover arrive early in Lima --

Day 1 -- 8am Port arrival. Fly to Cusco; spend day getting used to altitude

Day 2 - Early Morning Train to Machu Picchu - tour - late train back to Cusco. You generally spend 3 hours at site and it is a busy day. Night in hotel in Cusco

Day 3 - Morning in Cusco and flight around 2PM to catch ship (most leave at 5pm)

However Oceania does not get into Lima until 7pm. So this a just a guess :)

Day 1 - So I guess you will fly into Cusco that evening.

Day 2 - 1/2 day in Cusco -- late afternoon train to Machu Picchu. Overnight in Machu Picchu

Day 3 - Morning and Lunch in Machu Picchu. Return to Cusco on late afternoon train and fly directly back to Lima by 11pm depart.

Alternatively -- you could spend all Day 2 in Cusco and then Day 3 would be an early morning train 3 hours touring plus lunch -- afternoon train to Cusco and then fly back to Lima. That would be a BUSY day.

The key is you need some time in Cusco to adapt to altitude.

Most tours on the 3 day layover arrive early in Lima --

Day 1 -- 8am Port arrival. Fly to Cusco; spend day getting used to altitude

Day 2 - Early Morning Train to Machu Picchu - tour - late train back to Cusco. You generally spend 3 hours at site and it is a busy day. Night in hotel in Cusco

Day 3 - Morning in Cusco and flight around 2PM to catch ship (most leave at 5pm)

However Oceania does not get into Lima until 7pm. So this a just a guess :)

Day 1 - So I guess you will fly into Cusco that evening.

Day 2 - 1/2 day in Cusco -- late afternoon train to Machu Picchu. Overnight in Machu Picchu

Day 3 - Morning and Lunch in Machu Picchu. Return to Cusco on late afternoon train and fly directly back to Lima by 11pm depart.

Alternatively -- you could spend all Day 2 in Cusco and then Day 3 would be an early morning train 3 hours touring plus lunch -- afternoon train to Cusco and then fly back to Lima. That would be a BUSY day.

The key is you need some time in Cusco to adapt to altitude.

The alternative sounds more like it.I think they would fly us out the first morning in port, to Cusco.Spend over night there. Take train to Machu Picchi.Tour site then train back to airport to fly to Lima. On board in the late sfternoon .ship dosnt leave till 11 pm

The alternative sounds more like it.I think they would fly us out the first morning in port, to Cusco.Spend over night there. Take train to Machu Picchi.Tour site then train back to airport to fly to Lima. On board in the late sfternoon .ship dosnt leave till 11 pm

You are probably slaved to the Oceania Tour -- mainly because of the late port arrival. My personal opinion especially since you are flying and weather and other aspects in Peru could effect your return time.

If you wish to go on your own-- you might check some recommended tour companies in the South America CC section

You are probably slaved to the Oceania Tour -- mainly because of the late port arrival. My personal opinion especially since you are flying and weather and other aspects in Peru could effect your return time.

If you wish to go on your own-- you might check some recommended tour companies in the South America CC section

If I took a pvt. tour company and got back too late the ship wouldn't wait for me.On the other hand if I took the ships tour they would have to accomadate me to the ship.

We where in port in Saigaon many years ago.There was a train trip the ship tour provided .The group got held up for 4 hours, the ship waited in port for the tour to arrive back.

Archived