Another Birth Cert Question..Sorry!!

tcowgs21

If it was me, I would spring for passports for everyone. You never know when the cruising bug will hit, but more importantly, it makes embarkation and debarkation much more easier!

If someone can scrimp and save for a cruise, the passport is only a little bit more. Call it "peace of mind".

A passport may be just a little bit more for a couple but they are a family of five. Passports would cost over $500, that is a whole lot more. IMHO passport cards are useless, you can't use them to fly, and they are not cheap either.

I would suggest they start getting passports, maybe apply for a couple a month so they don't have all that expense at once, if they plan another cruise after this one. The OP has everything she needs for a closed loop cruise in Nov.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I called Carnival and they said school ID is fine as are the Birth Certificates that I have. I checked the passport web site and they are running 3 to 6 weeks. I am not going to take the chance with the time frame, we leave in 6 weeks 5 days, Nov 5th. With the cost of expidited service, that would run about 750 for all of us, so I am going with what I have. I will be getting everyone passports one at a time when we return. Again, thanks for all the responses.

We used state issued ID's here in Florida, along with the BC's for all 3 kids. They did not even ask for the picture ID for them- but again, I had never read about someone being denied boarding for the Birth Record either.... hoping we are ok leaving in February and like others have said- we are a family of 5 so passports would be really expensive.

We used state issued ID's here in Florida, along with the BC's for all 3 kids. They did not even ask for the picture ID for them- but again, I had never read about someone being denied boarding for the Birth Record either.... hoping we are ok leaving in February and like others have said- we are a family of 5 so passports would be really expensive.

Just make sure your birth certificates were issued by the state, and you should be good to go.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I called Carnival and they said school ID is fine as are the Birth Certificates that I have. I checked the passport web site and they are running 3 to 6 weeks. I am not going to take the chance with the time frame, we leave in 6 weeks 5 days, Nov 5th. With the cost of expidited service, that would run about 750 for all of us, so I am going with what I have. I will be getting everyone passports one at a time when we return. Again, thanks for all the responses.

Why don't you get your 16 & under kids a passport now, then get the rest when you get home?

You people assume these are Carnival rules - these are GOVERNMENT rules. All Carnival does is implement them. If the government says you all need passports, Carnival or any other cruise line would have nothing to say about it.

To travel internationally without passports is just plain foolish. If you can't afford the passports, stay home.

You people assume these are Carnival rules - these are GOVERNMENT rules. All Carnival does is implement them. If the government says you all need passports, Carnival or any other cruise line would have nothing to say about it.

To travel internationally without passports is just plain foolish. If you can't afford the passports, stay home.

It is the GOVERNMENTS rules that a passport is not needed on a closed-loop cruise, not Carnivals rules. Who are you to tell those without passports to stay home when the GOVERNMENT allows this exception?

Archived