novice snorkeler

rosey1946

I'm sailing on the Epic next April. I have a 13 year old granddaughter and want to take her on her first snorkel excursion. She is a strong swimmer. We are doing a b2b so lots of ports-St. Thomas, Roatan, Nassau. We also stop in Cozumel. My family is worried about Mexico and crime and are thinking not even to get off the ship.

Any recommendations for ship's excursions for the above ports-thoughts on Cozumel? I want ship's excursions as I'll be responsible for her and I feel more relaxed knowing there will be no problem getting back to the ship on time.

Thanks for any help.

Linda

I'm sailing on the Epic next April. I have a 13 year old granddaughter and want to take her on her first snorkel excursion. She is a strong swimmer. We are doing a b2b so lots of ports-St. Thomas, Roatan, Nassau. We also stop in Cozumel. My family is worried about Mexico and crime and are thinking not even to get off the ship.

Any recommendations for ship's excursions for the above ports-thoughts on Cozumel? I want ship's excursions as I'll be responsible for her and I feel more relaxed knowing there will be no problem getting back to the ship on time.

Thanks for any help.

Linda

roatan has incredible snorkeling... and most ship's have an excursion to Tabyana beach which has the best snorkeling right from shore

Nassau also has some pretty good snorkeling but it will not be from shore..

and cozumel has good snorkeling either from a boat or from the shore at Chankanaab Park

St. Thomas has several ship's snorkeling excursions... you can take the ferry also to St. John's and snorkel at Trunk Bay... there may be a ship's excursion to do that also...

you have picked a great itinerary for snorkeling.. R oatan would be my favorite.. it's incredible snorkeling

Cozumel is a small island off the shore of the Yucatan. It is safe but like everywhere stay in the tourist areas and don't go wandering alone in non-tourist areas. You probably would not have a problem but just not a good idea. As for the violence in Mexico right now, it is along the US border where the drug cartels are fighting the police and military. Ciudad Juarez and other border cities are not safe. The Yucatan is a peninsula and so far away from the drug induced violence.

Cozumel is really nice and gives you a real Mexican feel. I would not avoid it. I spent a week there in May diving. I walked around for exercise in the evening and have never had a problem. Their food and drink is very safe. Just beware of where you are buying it. Most tourist oriented places are very safe but the hole in the wall types can be dirty.

Thanks, Satxdiver-i'm not afraid of Cozumel, it's my family. Maybe they'll change their minds. I've been to Coz before and I love it. So I'll be off eating great Mexican food and enjoying a great beach. Thanks so much for the good information.

Linda

Take your granddaughter to Tabyana in Roatan. Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean and easy entry right from the beach and water is pretty shallow.

Another easy entry from the beach is Coki Beach in St. Thomas. I know everyone freaked a few months ago because of an unfortunate tragedy near that area, but I am sure the cruisers are going back to Coki by now. Very easy assess into the water from the beach, and shallow water also.

Coki is nice and fun, but Tabyana is the BEST!! Don't miss that one!!

Archived