Single occupancy cabins

Cinder Again

The travel section in today's Washington Post has a big article on NCL's new single cabins...I have to admit, NCL hasn't been/isn't on my radar, but it sounds intriguing...They even have a picture of the cabin and while it is small, I'd take that by myself over sharing with a stranger anyday! They also have a lounge on board to be used as a meeting place for singles, so that they can find each other... I wonder who/which lines will follow?

While NCL is not one of my favorite lines, and while I don't particularly like an inside cabin, and while the "studio" cabin is quite small, all of that would be OK to try out, but I think they're misrepresenting the lack of single supplement here. Or, please correct me if my logic is I'm wrong.

I went to a couple of different discount web agencies and priced out a 7 day Caribbean trip on the Epic. The price for a studio was $1129. The price for a regular Category N cabin was $599 per person. The price for a category N with the single supplement was $1198. So, while the Category N cabin is a straight 200%, the studio cabin is basically 188% of double-occupancy rate of the category N for a smaller cabin.

Am I missing something here?

I have booked one Prinsendam cruise and looked at another. I am in a category M and the price with the supplement is considerably less than the dedicated single supplement, and that was also true with the other cruise I checked. I don't quite understand the attraction of these dedicated single cabins (I have no interest in NCL but HAL was fully up front with the prices of the various categories and did nothing to steer me towards the more expensive single cabin).

Bu the way, Blount Small Ship Adventures does have 3 dedicated single cabins which are priced in the low range for regluar cabins, but they more like a river cruise and not competiitive with HAL.

Roy

While NCL is not one of my favorite lines, and while I don't particularly like an inside cabin, and while the "studio" cabin is quite small, all of that would be OK to try out, but I think they're misrepresenting the lack of single supplement here. Or, please correct me if my logic is I'm wrong.

I went to a couple of different discount web agencies and priced out a 7 day Caribbean trip on the Epic. The price for a studio was $1129. The price for a regular Category N cabin was $599 per person. The price for a category N with the single supplement was $1198. So, while the Category N cabin is a straight 200%, the studio cabin is basically 188% of double-occupancy rate of the category N for a smaller cabin.

Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything. I didn't price it. I just read the article in the WP, which didn't mention price. If they are ALMOST the same price as a single supplement, they might not be that appealing. I just wish all of the major cruiselines would follow their example. I think there are more older single travelers than the industry acknowleges...I'd cruise even more than I do if I could get a fair deal! (and then I would spend more in the Crows Nest:-))

Archived