Why do you cruise with NCL?

Mr. Luckytoo

After cruising multiple times on NCL, Costa, Princess, RCL and once on Carnival I've come to the conclusion that they are so much alike that I really don't care who I go with. We have concluded that we prefer smaller ships, less kids and an aft balcony (although on our next cruise we're in a forward facing balcony). We really enjoy the flexibility of Freestyle Dining, but now all the major lines offers some flavor of it so NCL does not hold the advantage it did for us a few years ago.

We chose NCL for the itinerary - Hawaii. We haven't cruised with them before and are interested to see how we go with Freestyle. I think we will like the flexibility!

Don't know if we will cruise with NCL again unless they bring some ships to depart from Australia!! As someone else mentioned, flying sucks these days!

We have cruised Celebrity, Carnival and NCL. Our first cabin on NCL was a balcony, smaller than Carnival but I immediately got hooked on the freestyle experience. The next trip we booked a suite and got an upsell to the Deluxe Owners Suite now I can't give up a suite. So for my DH and I its all about (in this order):

1. Suite perks

2. Freestyle

3. Sail from close to home

4. Cost

There are really only 6 US-based mainstream cruiselines: Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Princess (at least for this question).

Of those 6 why did you choose NCL rather than one of the others?

Was it:

1. Cost

2. Itinery

3. Loyal to a particular Brand

4. Prefer a particular Ship

5. Don't like to be told "when to eat" like other lines - i.e., Freestyle

6. Prefer the more relaxed dress codes - I don't want to dress up on vacation

We sail NCL for one reason--the BEST officers and crew at sea !! And this is despite the fact that we are in the minority--we do NOT like Freestyle !! We have been encouraged to read that others think Freestyle has gone too far, and that even minimal dress codes are not enforced.

And this is despite the fact that we are in the minority--we do NOT like Freestyle !! We have been encouraged to read that others think Freestyle has gone too far, and that even minimal dress codes are not enforced.

Dress code is just a small part of freestyle. It's everything else--wide choice of dining venues and cuisines; dining when you want to, not when you're told to; the choice of dining as a couple or family or choosing to dine with others; the ability to dine with friends made on the cruise, not just with assigned tablemates who may or may not be compatible--and to have this guaranteed, something that some other cruise lines with so-called "anytime" dining will not do (you may be "wait-listed":mad:), that makes freestyle so appealing to many of us. Small price to pay if someone wears a t-shirt to the dining room.

As citizens of the UK, we can perhaps offer a slightly different perspective to all of you from other countries!

We like NCL because of freestyle. The choice of where and when to dine, whether to dress up or not, is entirely ours, and if we are on a por tintensive itinerary like the Western Med, this is the sort of cruise we want!

However, we also like P&O for cruises where the itinerary is not so busy, such as Norwegian Fjords, or transatlantic. Then we don't mind so much dressing for dinner, and it can be very nice to meet with the same people every night and talk about the day.

In short, we like the freedom of freestyle when we expect to have long and tiring days at shore, but we also enjoy a bit more Britishness on occasion too! Like draught Boddingtons!

I love the food, the entertainment, the spa, the friendly staff and not having to bring formal clothes.

We couldn't have said it better! We are now hooked on NCL. When we are on vacation, my husband & I love the option of not having to be dressed in nylons/heels and suits/ties. Mind you we do dress nicely, resort/business casual for dinner and shows, but we glad we don't have to be formal and can still enjoy a nice dinner in the MDR.

We had such a great time, we are looking to book our 2nd NCL cruise for the beginning of next year.

There are really only 6 US-based mainstream cruiselines: Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Princess (at least for this question).

Of those 6 why did you choose NCL rather than one of the others?

Was it:

1. Cost

2. Itinery

3. Loyal to a particular Brand

4. Prefer a particular Ship

5. Don't like to be told "when to eat" like other lines - i.e., Freestyle

6. Prefer the more relaxed dress codes - I don't want to dress up on vacation

When I started cruising it was with Princess because of a long story which I won't get into here. When Princess was taken over by Carnival the quality slipped drastically to the point where I decided to dabble a bit more. Other cruises were due to the company who chartered the ship and which line the ship came from. When sailing non-charter cruises I now prefer NCL because of...

1. Cost - NCL is the most cost effective vacation at sea for what they offer onboard. Even with the cutbacks I'm still satisfied with their product, food and level of service.

2. Itinerary - NCL goes to more off the beaten path places than Princess did who had a very stale Eastern and Western Caribbean route. I prefer Western Caribbean but can't for the life of me figure out why Princess keeps Jamaica in that itinerary (until most recently)... that island is NASTY (amongst other adjectives I could use). NCL doesn't regularly call there (thank goodness)!

3. Loyalty - Now I am brand loyal to NCL but may have to deviate for my graduation cruise which I want to be exotic. I've done the Egypt run with NCL already and would love to see them put the Spirit in the Orient but market it to North American passengers. Star Cruises just doesn't offer the same options that NCL does.

4. The Jewel-class of ships (specifically the Norwegian Jewel) has a great layout. She's not too big and she's not too small. Never realized just how big the Grand-class Princess ships were until I had an emergency knee surgery four weeks prior to sailing. Now I appreciate the size of the Jewel class ships all the more! :)

5. FreeStyle Dining - Princess had this concept as well but stole it from NCL so this made it easier to stay with NCL! LOVE THIS CONCEPT!!

6. Dress Code - NCL is where you're free to whatever! No formal nights required... means I save on my airfare for a second bag fee. Love it and still maintain a resort casual at all dining room meals. Like the concept indeed and notice other lines are beginning to relax their policies as well... just not to the extent NCL has... yet.

Other reasons for liking NCL... the DJs onboard NCL ships know how to cater to the crowd in the nightclub and oh yeah... there is a crowd in the nightclub. Princess was so sparse for night-goers it almost made me feel like I was on HAL at some points. The average age on most of the sailings I've been on with NCL has been lower (except the 12-day to Egypt). This makes the nights more enjoyable when the main shows are over.

:D I LOVE NCL!!! :D

Why do I continue to choose NCL? Let me count the ways!

1. They spoil me and make me feel like a goddess.

2. They surprise me.

3. They make me feel like I am their only concern onboard.

4. Each sailing with them is an adventure.

5. They remember you and loyalty is appreciated.

6. Their officers/staff/crew is the happiest and is the most sincere/genuine.

7. They appeal to age 2 through 102.

8. They are innovative yet know where to draw the lines.

9. They appear to take my post cruise online survey suggestions/feedback seriously. So much so that I am going to have fork out some cash to take a “how to put on make-up properly” seminar on a future sailing.

10. Freestyle darling!

Okay, okay, so they put my name on some plaque somewhere. Whatever! That does not supersede the above.

coka

Very well said and I agree... they treat me famously as well when I'm onboard and it amazes me how many people remember me when I travel on other ships in the NCL fleet but have sailed with on other ships before. Amazing the quality of service from the crew!

For me it's about ship and price. After having sailed RCI and DIS we decided to try the Epic because it was new and different, and cheaper than the Oasis. Now having sailed "freestyle" we'll favor NCL because, like others, I love the ability to eat when and where I want. Not having to take a jacket and tie with me is another SERIOUS bonus. :)

I didn't realize how popular it was for people to "eat and dress" as they please. There also seems to be a passion for NCL that you don't see on other boards - at least that's my perception.

I'm actually surprised that given the folowing that NCL doesn't increase their prices relative to RCI. I guess by saving all that money on complimentary champagne and pillow mints they can keep their fares really low.

Archived