Why do you cruise with NCL?

Mr. Luckytoo

There are really only 6 US-based mainstream cruiselines: Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Princess (at least for this question).

Of those 6 why did you choose NCL rather than one of the others?

Was it:

1. Cost

2. Itinery

3. Loyal to a particular Brand

4. Prefer a particular Ship

5. Don't like to be told "when to eat" like other lines - i.e., Freestyle

6. Prefer the more relaxed dress codes - I don't want to dress up on vacation

The thought of cruising as a vacation never really appealed to me until I was harassed into going on one by family members for my parents 50th aniv. I agreed only if I could pick the cruise. I wanted it short, didn’t know weather I would like it or not and didn’t want to be “stuck” on a boat for a week, so I found a 5 day western on the Pearl. The price was right and Freestyle sounded perfect for me. Needless to say I was hooked and had every intention on trying other cruise lines, but keep coming back to NCL.

So the reasons are: 1) Freestyle 2) Price

I was looking hard at the Oasis before I booked my upcoming Epic cruise, but for only 60% of what a balcony was on Oasis I could not pass up the Epic! May be next time I’ll try another line, but then again may be not!:D

I've sailed Carnival, RCI, and NCL. After cruising on NCL I don't think I would go back to RCI. I really don't like dining at a certain time. I didn't mind the assigned seating so much, but especially on vacation I really want to spend my time doing what I want. After having cruised with NCL, I really liked the way they treated me. No rush, no pushing, and a variety of places to be entertained and fed.

I was tempted to try Carnival again for a cruise this upcoming March, because their itinerary seemed really good. But knowing the perks of a NCL suite against not really thinking Carnival had any - I chose NCL again.

After years of working in the male and female equivalents of 3 piece suits and various 'events,' we HATE getting dressed up...if we can't wear docker type slacks and decent but not dressy top, we don't go....hence we like NCL. Dress code [or mode] on lines we might want to sail are a bit too stringent for our tastes.

It began because of Freestyle - before I heard about freestyle, cruising was not appealing to me. Now, in addition to that, we feel comfortable (almost at home) on NCL and have found the itineraries, cost, dress code, etc to work for us. I'm not against trying another line, but so far there hasn't been the need.

I wanted to go out of NYC, Brooklyn or the City no NJ. I wanted to go Labor Day week. I liked the price (free upgrade ocean view to Balcony) and I loved the number of Sea Days. Freestyle sounded great for this vacation/anniversary so that is how after 10 years of not cruising I choose NCL.

I cruise any cruise line that will give me the right itinerary for the right price.

I like Freestyle dining, but recently on the other cruises, we've had open seating dining as well, and we've dressed up even on NCL, so that's not a deal breaker either way for me.

I AM looking forward to our next cruise with NCL because I'm going to leave out the formal wear entirely and see how light I can pack.:)

Cost was the first appealing thing to me. Also I am apprehensive about having to sit with someone else during meals. I had a bad experience at a poker table in Las Vegas when I outed myself as a Canadian then got verbally attacked by a dealer for my countries politics, (I didn't start the conversation). Then on our first cruise 2 years ago on NCL Star we went to the MDR for lunch and wait for our cabin to be ready, started some friendly chat with people at next table, then after about 15 min. of chatting out of the blue they asked our 6 year old if he "had been introduced to god yet?". What if I had to sit for a week of meals with either the Vegas dealer or the couple from the Star? I guess with assigned seating maybe you can ask to be reassigned, but why bother when NCL is out there?

I don't mind dressing up during dinner, but my idea of dressing up and others may be 2 different things. I wouldn't be comfortable with the tuxedo wearing crowd, but I don't feel someone in a nice dining room should be wearing T-shirts, ball caps, and flip flops either.

NCL is a great compromise when you're traveling with someone who "doesn't like cruises". Especially, for someone who has had a bad experience with a traditional cruise. And, NCL is great for groups and families - everyone can do their own thing and still have a good time together. After a few NCL cruises, it would be hard to go back to another line with fewer options. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the future cruise deposit certificate last year. We weren't completely sure about another cruise and ended up booking another NCL cruise within weeks of getting home. Go figure...

We have cruised Disney and Princess (several times for both lines). Had our first NCL cruise in March on the Sky out of Miami because we wanted to try a short cruise with them first.

NCL is our new favorite because of Freestyle dining. They just do it so much better than Princess does their "anytime" dining (Disney doesn't have anything close). The lack of formal nights is a definite plus for us. We sail again in about a month for our first European cruise, and we chose NCL for that cruise.

There are really only 6 US-based mainstream cruiselines: Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Princess (at least for this question).

Of those 6 why did you choose NCL rather than one of the others?

Was it:

1. Cost

2. Itinery

3. Loyal to a particular Brand

4. Prefer a particular Ship

5. Don't like to be told "when to eat" like other lines - i.e., Freestyle

6. Prefer the more relaxed dress codes - I don't want to dress up on vacation

yes to all of the above!:D

Archived